BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Alpina Availability

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  kees 
#1 ·
It seems as though I've made my m5board.com debut with nothing but questions. Pity, because I have yet another for all of you Alpina enthusiasts. Is it possible to buy an Alpina car in the states? I really truly admire them and was looking to buy. If so how much would they cost. I'm looking for either the e30 style or the e36 6cyl option. I'm sorry I am not familiar with the Alpina names for them. Well any info on this matter would be much appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
Hi Johnny

The only official ALPINA car was the Roadster V8. This was available through an official distributor in the US ->

http://www.alpinausa.com/

it got it's own website:
http://www.alpina-roadster-v8.de/usa/

Various people have imported earlier cars themselves and this usually involves type approval etc. I'm sure some will answer this post...

Cheers

#3 ·
Ahh the question I asked a few months ago. After looking into it from different sources, the conclusion is this: You need lots of time, money and a good importer. Odds are, if you try to do this, you'll need to 1. Find a car to bring over whether you shop in germany or try and do it online. 2. buy the car. 3. Have it checked like any other used car purchase. 4 Import it. 5. Have it ferderalized which still doesn't gurantee you can keep the car in the states. I wish you luck as I couldn't find a financially viable way for me to pick up a E46 B3 and bring it over for less than the price of a used E46 M3. I've been told it could cost up to $10,000 just to have it federalized, not including importing expenses and exchange rate problems. Best of luck doing it. If you find a way, I'd love to hear it.

#4 ·
Johnny Wanker said:
It seems as though I've made my m5board.com debut with nothing but questions. Pity, because I have yet another for all of you Alpina enthusiasts. Is it possible to buy an Alpina car in the states? I really truly admire them and was looking to buy. If so how much would they cost. I'm looking for either the e30 style or the e36 6cyl option. I'm sorry I am not familiar with the Alpina names for them. Well any info on this matter would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Currently, due to the much stricter EPA/DOT laws imposed in the mid-eighties to discourage grey imports, by far the cheapest way to own an Alpina in the US is to purchase a car that's already there.

Of the E30 bodystyle between a dozen and 2 dozen cars were imported before the stricter import laws came into effect - pretty much all of these were B6 2.8 models. You can read up on them in the E30 section on the Unofficial Alpina homepage. Prices are from around $10k upwards.

Of the E36 bodystyle only very few cars were imported - mainly through very specialized loopholes. These cars will fetch a major premium due to rarity and are very rarely for sale.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.