BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd run an experiment to test mpg on supermarket fuel (what I normally use) against BP or Shell. I got the tank down to 4 miles left to get as much of the old fuel out as I could and then filled the tank up with Optimax. This was the result.

This is as near as makes no difference $150.

I've been looking recently at the prices of things like the new F10 5 series (which you can get at quite a good price over here) or the previous model 7 series in something like a 730D and its easy to see why these large cars are depreciating so fast here :(

On a positive note, having driven around for a couple of weeks in the Seat Arosa Diesel, the M5 feels much nicer to drive :D

·
Registered
585 Posts
scarry price,i usually shove £70 in at a time and know there is plenty more room its going to get worse.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I am at about £94 as I leave it less late :) , but with the customary 20 B&H its over £100 each fill up :(

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I am at about £94 as I leave it less late :) , but with the customary 20 B&H its over £100 each fill up :(
Another good reason to stop smoking, it reduces your fuel bills...:haha2:
Scary to think that when I took mine off the road in October, it was about £75 to fill up! This is the only thing stopping me getting back on the road so soon.

·
Registered
585 Posts
test number 20 ? bring me upto speed richard .i didnt even know any tests could be done on that screen.
i just pressed the consumption 1 button.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can adjust the consumption value so it is less 'acurate' ;) and thus gives you false readings.

·
Registered
585 Posts
really,my wife took this pic last year as i was blown away by the high numbers
i havent a scooby do how to get a test up let alone do what you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
The Disco is £110 to fill up which I am doing every 8 days which really sucks. £100 fill up for the beast as well. Nice.

cheers

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
If I try really really hard, and reset the MPG while driving, I can just about maintain 30mpg on the level at about 60 mph over several miles.

If you can regularly get more than 30mpg on the level over a reasonable distance then I'd say that you test 20 value has been adjusted by a previous owner!

See http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...ou-never-knew-you-could-have-secret-menu.html for details (post #11) for details of how to unlock the cluster hidden menu. Have a look at the value when selecting test 20, the default value is 1000, I find that 1035 (which slightly reduces the OBC mpg) gives an accurate value when compared to brim to brim calculations.

Set the value to it's lowest (750) and you can get silly numbers like this

Which would be about a 40mpg average over 25 miles or so.

·
Registered
585 Posts
gotcha,i dont yet have a screen /nav set up installed in the car so can i check with just the basic set up i have.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just incase you thought you could, you cannot add the screen and get the menu up without adding all the other modules and loom.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
That is rediculously high for gas. Here it's about $55US for a full tank of Shell 93 :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Holy Swiss cheese, Batman!!!! I did a bit of math and converted your premium unleaded from liter to gallon... £1.38 per liter = US$8.37 per gallon! We're paying (at least in Colorado) US$3.09 per gallon and that's somewhat high already. Granted, our fuel prices should've been just as inflated as the EU. Because of trade agreements, lobbying, and whatnot, the US has managed to keep the prices down.

Edit: Quicksilv3r beat me to it, though Colorado's paying a few cents per gallon more for premium.

·
Registered
647 Posts
...We're paying (at least in Colorado) US$3.09 per gallon and that's somewhat high already...
Just paid $3.53/gallon this morning here in the Seattle area (Shell Premium). :Thumbdown:

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Richard,

So on Test Nr 20, is the baseline 1000 ? So if I had it upto 1200 I would read 20% more pessimistically.

This would take into account my higher flow fuel injectors....which are tricking me into believing I am getting about 20% better MPG than reality, when I confirm the good old fashioned way.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Richard,

So on Test Nr 20, is the baseline 1000. So if I had it upto 1200 I would read 20% more pessimitically.

This would take into account my higher flow fuel injectors....which are tricking me into believing I am getting about 20% better MPG than reality, when I confirm the good old fashioned way.

Cheers
Broadly, yes that's right. Do a brim to brim check and compare it with the OBC, then increment test 20 in line with the difference. Repeat a few times and you should get pretty close - assuming of course that you don't need more than 1250! :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts