BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on my regular commute home from NYC last night on the Bruckner Expressway in that type of stop and go traffic that repeatedly goes from 30mph to stop and back again. I had come to a full stop, and I confirmed in my mirror (as I pretty much always do) that the guy behind me was paying attention and had stopped. But then I started hearing in rapid succession 3 strong impacts behind me. A little space had opened up in front of me, so I got on the accelerator hard, but the car behind me got hit and pushed forward with enough momentum that he grazed my rear bumper. I got out, and checked my car - I sustained some minor scuffs across about 12 inches of the lower part of my bumper. I spoke to the other people involved in the accident (5 cars total) and determined that there were no injuries other than people being shaken up. The other 4 cars were pretty well crumpled. Being on the elevated roadway with cars hauling by in both directions I decided not to wait for the police and everything that goes with it. Most of the scuffs will buff out to look fine I expect (but not flawless) and I was in much better shape than the rest, so I told the group I was just going to go on my way. Nobody really wanted to deal with me anyway, so off I went. Don't worry, I didn't flee the scene of an accident or anything. If I only had a split second more time, I could have gotten away completely unscathed!

·
Registered
350 Posts
just about the same thing happened to me when I was on my way home from college a few weeks ago. It was stop and go, and the guy 2 cars back was not paying attention at all and completly smacked the MB behind me. thankfully, it was an SUV, and the SUV only hit me probably going like 3 mph, so I had no damage to my car.

But glad to hear that everything is alright

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Good Deal....no reason for you to stay really anyway...you did not hit anyone....you were goosed!!...as long as you were okay with it....
Besides it is only sheetmetal....believe me I know...it can be re-placed!
Regards
S

·
Registered
917 Posts
Good to hear everyone was ok and that your car did not sustain too much of a damage. I hate it when morons follow me too closely, I always keep car and a half between me and guy in front of me in stop and go traffic and constantly gritting my teeth at idiots moving in front of me to take that spot.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Good to hear everyone was ok and that your car did not sustain too much of a damage. I hate it when morons follow me too closely, I always keep car and a half between me and guy in front of me in stop and go traffic and constantly gritting my teeth at idiots moving in front of me to take that spot.
You're more patient than me. In L.A. I keep the a gap too small for someone to squeeze but big enough so I can hopefully have somewhere to escape to if the person behind gets too close.

The problem with 14.7inch cross drilled discs, for me anyway, is I spend half my time looking in rear view cursing the guy behind who is never going to be able to stop in time if I have to get on them. I keep a bigger gap in front so I can stop progressively but I'd rather the person following just learned what the badge meant.

·
Registered
917 Posts
You're more patient than me. In L.A. I keep the a gap too small for someone to squeeze but big enough so I can hopefully have somewhere to escape to if the person behind gets too close.

The problem with 14.7inch cross drilled discs, for me anyway, is I spend half my time looking in rear view cursing the guy behind who is never going to be able to stop in time if I have to get on them. I keep a bigger gap in front so I can stop progressively but I'd rather the person following just learned what the badge meant.

Not patient, just learnt the hard way. Stopped at a red light because it had been orange for atleast 3 seconds before I arrived at the intersection. Literally almost 3 seconds later a limo crashed into me. The holes in bumpers were painful but the a-hole limo driver making a run for it hurt even more.

·
Registered
370 Posts
wow sorry to hear that... hope u get your bumper repaired soon.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I was on my regular commute home from NYC last night on the Bruckner Expressway in that type of stop and go traffic that repeatedly goes from 30mph to stop and back again. I had come to a full stop, and I confirmed in my mirror (as I pretty much always do) that the guy behind me was paying attention and had stopped. But then I started hearing in rapid succession 3 strong impacts behind me. A little space had opened up in front of me, so I got on the accelerator hard, but the car behind me got hit and pushed forward with enough momentum that he grazed my rear bumper. I got out, and checked my car - I sustained some minor scuffs across about 12 inches of the lower part of my bumper. I spoke to the other people involved in the accident (5 cars total) and determined that there were no injuries other than people being shaken up. The other 4 cars were pretty well crumpled. Being on the elevated roadway with cars hauling by in both directions I decided not to wait for the police and everything that goes with it. Most of the scuffs will buff out to look fine I expect (but not flawless) and I was in much better shape than the rest, so I told the group I was just going to go on my way. Nobody really wanted to deal with me anyway, so off I went. Don't worry, I didn't flee the scene of an accident or anything. If I only had a split second more time, I could have gotten away completely unscathed!
Once you get wacked from behind you're never the same.;)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
The rear bumpers on these cars are excellent. I was hit from behind by a truck and he just bounced off with absolutely no damage to my car at all. There's wasn't even a mark on the bumper! The guy in the truck actually had a good size dent in his front bumper. And this all happened due to his inability to stop while I was stomping down on my brakes due to some ignoranus in front of me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the good wishes (and the back handed back end comments :) ). I definitely feel like I got off pretty easy on this one. If I were still stopped and still on the brakes I would have been much worse off. Drive safely guys. -Brian

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Once you get wacked from behind you're never the same.;)
That's what she said....

To the OP, good defensive driving. Hope you got that 3M Scratch Remover and high-speed buffer; It should come right out. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
The brakes are awesome and saved me!

While on my way to work in the morning, a pickup truck was tail-gating me and I accelerated leaving him in the dust. But he caught up to me at the next light and whipped around me cutting off some other motorists. He got in front of me and slammed the brakes so hard that there was smoke coming up! I mashed my brakes the hardest I've ever had and the car immediately stopped from 50 mph probably about 2 feet from his bumper. The only thing I could shout is "Wow!" Damn, this car's brakes are awesome!! My anger at this idiot was immediately channeled into elation after this brake test!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You just gotta love unprovoked road rage. The brakes are great on this car. Funny, after my incident last week I wasn't angry at all. It was an accident, nothing road rage or anything and accidents, like sh1t, happens...

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Be sure to have someone check under the bumper. There is impact absorbtion material in there that, like a helmet, is good for only one hit. If you have had an impact, it may need to be replaced or the next time the results could be far worse.

·
Registered
18 Posts
While on my way to work in the morning, a pickup truck was tail-gating me ........ He got in front of me and slammed the brakes so hard that there was smoke coming up! .......
While reading your post I was thinking - "this guy must live in Texas...."

·
Registered
836 Posts
you did the right thing getting off that stretch of highway. Your life is worth more than a dozen M's.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts