BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has been occupying the garage for the last three weeks as I have been waiting for parts, and slowly working on my off days as weather permits. I got the flywheel, clutch, and Rouge shifter in tuesday. Yesterday I had the pleasure of putting the transmission back in...man was that fun. Getting everything to line up and click just right took a little trial and error but went relatively smoothly. (meaning I didn't break anything) I'll tackle putting the exhaust back in once I have another day off. It has been hard staring at the car in the garage and not getting to drive her. The job took so long because I ordered everything online and had to place several orders as I removed the components only to find I needed something else. But the good news is that the whole job only cost me around $900.

I bought the Luk clutch and flywheel from gripforce on eBay. Rouge SS/WSR and tranny mounts from Rouge. I replaced all the rubber mounting pieces mentioned in the FAQ. Royal Purple synchromax went in to replace the "lifetime" fluid. I replaced all the bolts/nuts on the exhaust system too.

Hopefully I'll see a noticeable improvement from all my hard work. I might go insane babying the car for the break-in procedure though. But afterwards its gonna be: Grab, Grin, and :M5launch:

Brian

·
Registered
931 Posts
This is a fun job.... I did mine a few weeks ago. It is interesting what you find that the dealer mechanics messd up. I take satisfaction in knowing the job was done correctly and save some bucks too.

Enjoy!!!!!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
+1. I just finished the same clutch job myself too, I ended up just replacing a clutch kit (bought if from the same ebay vendor for $241 shipped) and no flywheel. Yep, the hardest part was putting the transmission back in everything else went so smooth. My total clutch job only cost me $270.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
you guys are hard. like ranger-hard. i wish i had the confidence to replace my clutch, seeings as it is now on its way out.

congrats on the job and the patience [and skill] to get it there!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Its mostly patience though since I don't have any skill. ;-P

Honestly, this is my FIRST clutch replacement on any car...makes sense to start with a beast, right? I have removed and rebuilt an AOD-E from a mustang I used to own. This job was WAY easier, just remove, replace, and reinstall.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Thanks! Its mostly patience though since I don't have any skill. ;-P

Honestly, this is my FIRST clutch replacement on any car...makes sense to start with a beast, right? I have removed and rebuilt an AOD-E from a mustang I used to own. This job was WAY easier, just remove, replace, and reinstall.

My hat is off to you.

I bought all the parts recently from Dial-A-Clutch, and thought about doing it myself. All in all it looked like a PITA and would tie me up for a couple of days. So I found a well recommended local garage, gave them the car and the parts, and they only charged me $575 for labor.

BTW did you replace the RMS too?

Steve
00 M5

·
Registered
437 Posts
Congrats! You deserve it. No doubt. Did you give thought to doing the rear main while you were right there? Thats the only thing that could have you doing the job again even if it was dry now. Hopefully you replaced the POS plastic pivot pin and maybe the fork. Hats off, you score 98 out of 100 and the price and satisfaction can't be beat. If you did it on jack stands your back is better than mine!

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
you guys are hard. like ranger-hard. i wish i had the confidence to replace my clutch, seeings as it is now on its way out.

congrats on the job and the patience [and skill] to get it there!
You have the confidence to protect our country so replacing a clutch should a piece of cake.;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I didn't replace the rear main seal. It was bone dry and I didn't want to open Pandora's box by messing with it. We'll see if the gamble pays off.

I did replace the pivot pin, the clutch fork, and the input shaft sleeve while I was there.

·
Registered
437 Posts
No, I didn't replace the rear main seal. It was bone dry and I didn't want to open Pandora's box by messing with it. We'll see if the gamble pays off.

I did replace the pivot pin, the clutch fork, and the input shaft sleeve while I was there.
Perfect- good job man. I know what you mean about the rear seal..it would scare the crap out of me too. If I did change it myself it would be my luck I would take a good seal and it would leak after I was done and mess the otherwise successful job up. You saved yourself about $600 which is what an Indy charged me to do the exact same job with my parts and his labor, including the rear main.:applause:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now I'm gonna take that $600 I saved and buy some smoked LED tail lights. :cheers:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Now I'm gonna take that $600 I saved and buy some smoked LED tail lights. :cheers:
Your good buddy Mr. Bush is already giving you $600 out of his pocket and from the goodness of his heart (oh wait, if he has the money it must have come from you anyway) scratch that.........George is giving you $600 of your money that he has been keeping safe for you, so he's got your tail lights covered. Now you can get a couple tanks of good old Texas crude.:applause:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He's not my good buddy. I'm not a fan of his AT ALL! But lets not get too ot.

I finished everything today. I got in the car, turned the key, and she fired right up! :)

I drove around a little today and I'll just keep babying her for 1000 miles or so. The Rouge SS/WSR feels great btw. I don't even think I'll use the ZHP shift knob I bought. The stock one feels soo much better. Snick snick, just like a sporty car should feel like.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Does your clutch pedal feel light? After I put a new LUK clutch kit mine became light

·
Registered
158 Posts
Does your clutch pedal feel light? After I put a new LUK clutch kit mine became light
Yep - me too. New throw-out bearing, guide pin and proper lubrication does the trick. One of the advantages of performing the maintenance.

:cheers:
Andy

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Very good. Thank you guys!!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
You guys do it on jack stands? How high did you have to lift the car to get the tranny out? How heavy was it? Can two guys get it back on without a tranny jack?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I did everything myself on the jack stands and the ramps. I was able to lift it ~18"-19" up in the air. this was enough to get the transmission out. I had no transmission jack, used the 4 ton "harborfreight tools" floor jack to remove the transmittion out and put it back.

Here are few pictures just to give you some ideas

1 - 20 of 35 Posts