BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Been lurking on this forum a few weeks now...as I am planning to purchase a 1992 M5 here in Canada.

I finally saw the car today and it is in great shape.

I have a few questions:

The car does not appear to have airbags. Is that correct for a 1992 Canadian market?

The previous owner replaced the rear SLS shock and did not keep them.
How hard would it be to find some if I want to bring it back to SLS? (not sure if I would but just curious)

Does anyone know how many M5 were sold in Canada in 1992? I only found a number for the whole of NA (191 units)

There is some sort of air pump that was very noisy for the first 30-60 seconds - is that normal? (I guess I can Google that one...)

:)

Thank you

p.s.: Here are a few shots:

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello!

In 1991, Canadian cars had a meter in kph?
The absence of air bag is probably normal, mine is from 1992 and also has no airbag (Japanese market car), in Europe it was optional.

Big noise at cold start is probably the air pump indeed. Look for leaks, mine had a badly cracked hose (half of it disappeared) so it was very noisy.

Bringing back SLS depends on how it was deleted, I did not experience it myself but I understood from various post on this forum that you can do it the simple way by just plugging the hydraulic systems but this usually ends with the destruction of the pump, or you can do it the hard way by modifying the pump or using a pump from a non-SLS car... Depending on what is done it can be more or less difficult to revert back to the origin. Aside from this, you will also need to find used rear shocks since those are NLA from BMW, but this does not seems so complicated, either on this forum, although is seems very quiet lately or there is a Facebook group where you can find some parts too (you might need to have them refurbished though).

·
Registered
52 Posts
There is some sort of air pump that was very noisy for the first 30-60 seconds - is that normal? (I guess I can Google that one...):
The secondary air system has a leak, could be a hose as mentioned above. Or in my case it was the EGR valve. It had rusted/ deteriorated and had a big hole in it. The system is on the passenger side of the engine connected to the headers. The EGR valve is near the air con compressor on the bottom of the engine. Poke around there and you'll find the culprit.

As far as the SLS everything Neub says is correct. It really depends how it was deleted and how much was removed. There are several NLA parts in this system but nothing is impossible to find. You just need to be patient. Tourings use the same system and everything is a direct swap with the exception of the struts. Those are M5 specific. So depending you should be able to source most of what you need if you find someone breaking a touring.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts