BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I DID search but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I've a Startac phone sitting in the middle of my armrest and want to get rid of it. However, I don't want to spend a lot of money either so, I found this: BMW E38 E39 E53 x5 E65 E66 Center Armrest Tray New | eBay

Can I swap the phone tray out and just put this tray in or do I have to replace the whole armrest? I've looked around and it seems that all the posts are about replacing the whole unit and I was wondering if anyone has simply replaced the phone with a plastic tray.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, I did the same on my 01. Just follow the DIY for phone removal or armrest removal and you are there. Couple of screws and voila! Big improvement.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Correct, I have swapped my cradle also for this one. Piece of cake.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I am not a huge fan of the oddment tray but its a lot better than having an ancient phone.
The other option is to get the leather armrest from an M5 without the phone option which means
the armrest opens up and you have storage.
That what I have done

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm just sick of people asking "OMG, is that a Startac?!?!" when they get into the car.

Thanks a bunch guys! I think I'll give the 'oddment' tray a go before ponying up for a full on armrest.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
OP, does your car have the ULF or TCU. If you have the ULF (Bluetooth) you will need a means of pairing a phone. If this is the case there is a pairing button with oddment tray available as well as other work arounds like the Intravee or a momentary switch wired in place of the pairing button.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know, I have no idea which my car has ULF/TCU. Having seeing the tape deck behind the MKIII screen, I assumed everything else was outdated and never bothered to explore the audio system. Is there a real quick/simple way to determine which system my car is equipped with?

·
13,589 Posts
If you have the startac, you cannot have the ULF. Does your car have voice control? Hit the button under r/t (the one that looks like someone talking) and see if you can do voice commands. If so, your car has an SES module in the trunk (usually hidden behind the side panel above the back side of the driver's rear wheel arch).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pardon my ignorance if this is a stupid question but, without the BT, there is no need to worry about the center console tray w/o the BT/Connect button, no?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts