BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have been a member here for quite a while now and I think it's about time I give my Beast, and myself, a proper introduction to the board. Here is a little history for those who don't know:

I love cars. I enjoy driving them, working on them, and learning about them. I have never driven a motor vehicle of which I could not find some aspect of pleasure, even if that pleasure is nothing more than the appreciation of how ludicrously horrible some cars can be. As such, I have three easy steps to car ownership: (1) love your car, (2) take care of your car, and (3) drive your car. I have never bought a car I didn't love, no matter how "crappy" it was, I have never driven a car I didn't properly maintain, no matter what "value" it had, and I have never owned a car I didn't drive, no matter how tempting it is to own a "garage queen." So naturally, once you comprehend my love of motor vehicles, you then have all the knowledge necessary to understand where I am coming from in each and every thread or post that I create. I'm not a master mechanic, a professionally skilled driver, or an automotive encyclopedia. However, I conduct the majority of my own repairs/maintenance, I make an effort to be the best driver I can, and I'm always ready to learn.

So it makes sense that to this point, my automotive journey has been a slow and methodical climb up the car world's food chain. Beginning many years ago with my first car, a 1995 Honda Civic, I started a practice of purchasing average condition cars, at discounted prices, then fixing them up myself during my ownership and ultimately selling them for a profit. I then use that profit to purchase another car that I believe is better than the one before it. Eventually this method led me to one of my favorite car manufacturers of all time, BMW.

Ever since I was a kid, sitting in the backseat of parent's E28 528e, I have been hooked on bimmers. So of course my first BMW had to be an E39 528i 5-speed, basically an updated version of the car I first fell in love with. I even bought it in the same color scheme as the E28: Jet Black on Tan. However, even though the 528i is a great car, I wanted just a little bit more. I wanted to keep everything I loved about the 528i, but add more exclusivity, more driving dynamics, and in the words of Jeremy Clarkson, "MORE POWERRRRRR!" So I thought it over and set out on a year long quest to satisfy a desire that was created by the second most influential 5-Series experience of my life: the day I got completely owned by an E34 M5. I could never forget that day during my senior year of high school, and the middle-aged man sitting in the shiny blue Bavarian streak that shot by me in retribution for my absent-minded act of cutting him off in traffic. I should have been paying attention and I deserved what I got...which was a quick toot of the horn, and a blur of an overtake. I remember feeling so out-classed. He hit the horn only long enough to alert me, he didn't flick me off, and he never even glanced at me as he drove by. Throughout the whole incident I tried frantically to take it all in: the bodywork, the wheels, the exhaust note, but it was all so fast. The only thing I saw clearly was the color blue and an M5 badge. I wanted to be him so badly...

And now, years later, I am finally "that guy," and it feels great. However, the road up to this point has been a little crazy. After finding my M5 online, driving a total of almost 24 hours in order to buy it in person, I then spent several months chasing after mysterious misfires, and got rear-ended by some high schoolers. Nevertheless there is a silver lining. I purchased the car knowing it had some issues, so even with the money I spent chasing the misfires I never surpassed the discount I received on the car. Also, the cause of misfires turned out to be a simple DME glitch, which was ultimately fixed for only $90. Plus, in the course of all the work I did, I now know this car inside and out, and have replaced all normal maintenance items. Then, as far as me getting rear-ended, the kid who hit me only caused cosmetic, not structural, damage. My pumper carrier assembly wasn't even touched, and the bumper shocks never compressed. The kid's insurance took care of the repairs, and the body shop did an excellent job. They went ahead and gave me a new carrier assembly anyway and the new bumper cover seems to line up even better than the original one did...

...but now I have a new problem. I have had the M5 for almost a year now and I love it more and more. I am going to have to start a new lineage of car purchases, because I don't want to sell this one. So without any further delay, I am a BMW addict and here is my M5...:1:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Congrats on the Beast... Looks good!!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I almost forgot, the car has about 123,000 miles on it.

Here are some more photos:

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cars looks good, how you like those tires? im looking to replace my sumis soon.
They have been great so far. No complaints from me. The rears have worn a little faster than usual up to this point, but that is only because I was severely screwed by my previous alignment shop. They set my rear toe incorrectly causing some premature tire wear. Needless to say, I am in the process of getting reimbursed...

They are an excellent deal though. Great in the rain, but just slightly soft on turn-in, which I am guessing is due to the sidewalls? I'm not really an expert.

Beautiful beast, that is one very tempting parking lot :D
...you have no idea. The warehouse is empty too, since it is brand new and it's for sale.:sprint00:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Fantastic car, great color! :thumbsup:

I noticed your steering wheel, did you have it re-trimmed or did you do it yourself? Looks like new material is wrapped over the old, making the rim almost as thick as the new style wheel, correct?

You are going to do something about the left rear door window trim, right? ;)

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
That looks in fantastic condition; great photos too :cheers:.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Thanks guys! I almost forgot, the car has about 123,000 miles on it.

Here are some more photos:
....oh no, not another oil thread?! :rofl:

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fantastic car, great color! :thumbsup:

I noticed your steering wheel, did you have it re-trimmed or did you do it yourself? Looks like new material is wrapped over the old, making the rim almost as thick as the new style wheel, correct?

You are going to do something about the left rear door window trim, right? ;)
That's how you know you're on an enthusiast site. My Beast isn't perfect, but I'm slowly getting her there. My fiance is always going nuts when people compliment my car and I start pointing out all it's cosmetic flaws and the things I want to fix/change. She always says nobody would notice if I didn't tell them, but guys like us see them!

The steering wheel is a black wheelskins brand cover. I will be getting a new one soon though because the one I ordered is just a little too small for the thickest part of the wheel grip. The feel of it is great though.
That looks in fantastic condition; great photos too :cheers:.
Nice story. Falling in love with a BMW is easy isn't it. I fell first in the early 70's with a 2002. Nice car and good pictures.
You have to love those 2002s. I would love to own one.

looking good =)
Thanks

Great Pics. I like the setting you choose for the pictures!
Thanks. It took me a little bit of searching, but it's a great location. The nice clean blue lines of the buildings and the fresh pavement really compliment the car.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Beautiful M5:rolleyes: Enjoy it(I'm sure you do)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
....oh no, not another oil thread?! :rofl:
I should have put a water mark over that picture that says, "THIS IS NOT MEANT AS AN INVITATION TO DISCUSS OIL!":haha:

·
Registered
832 Posts
Absolutely MINT!!!

One question about your Bimmian gearknob. How'd you get the blue, purple and red M colours in the shift pattern?
I bought one the other day and mine were just white.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Nice car!

A group of us will be tracking at Mid Ohio Friday thru Sunday at the OVR PCA event. The guys from Enthusiast Auto will be there Friday only.

Stop by and hang with us. We'll be in the lower paddock on the left side.

DaytonDomer99 will be tracking his M5 and I'll be in my track M3.

Richard...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts