BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

361 - 380 of 409 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey fellas. Do any of you guys have a warranty through Fidelity and an aftermarket exhaust or muffler/secondary cat delete on your E60? I have the platinum warranty and it has been awesome, but wonder if they will deny any claims with a mod like that. I realize that any mods are frowned upon, but I don't want to call and express my interest in this. Just curious if any of you have had any experiences in this dept.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey guys! do any of you guys have EasyCare on your e60 M5 if so i would like to know what coverage seems to cover best of the normal use of the car. I just purchased a 2010 e60 M5 with 21k miles and looking into get PowerCare or was thinking of PrimaryCare, would like to hear your guys experience on parts that i would like to be covered in the car. Its my first M5 and i tend to take very good care of my cars and keep them, so i would like to get the right EW for it. Looking forward on hearing from you guys!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey guys! do any of you guys have EasyCare on your e60 M5 if so i would like to know what coverage seems to cover best of the normal use of the car. I just purchased a 2010 e60 M5 with 21k miles and looking into get PowerCare or was thinking of PrimaryCare, would like to hear your guys experience on parts that i would like to be covered in the car. Its my first M5 and i tend to take very good care of my cars and keep them, so i would like to get the right EW for it. Looking forward on hearing from you guys!
So far they have covered my repairs eventhough ive only had it for a month at that time.
I have easy care, the comprehensive one.

I'd recommend the comprehensive one. It should be alot cheaper d/t your mileage

·
Registered
59 Posts
So far they have covered my repairs eventhough ive only had it for a month at that time.
I have easy care, the comprehensive one.

I'd recommend the comprehensive one. It should be alot cheaper d/t your mileage
Thanks Phi, i actually didn't see Comprehensive as an option, since i am buying it from a dealer and not Easycare could that be why? I called Easy care and they told me i don't qualify to purchase directly from them since the car is older than 4 years, so they told me to call Crown lexus in Ontario and the options they have are

4/50k miles

Power Care: 3500$
Primary Care:4600$
Stated Care: 6700$
Total Care 8900$

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I just got quotes from Easy Care I also had to go through a dealer since my car is an 08 with 63k and out of original warranty.

They told me that Total Care was not available for my car, how is it available for yours? I am not concerned with electronics or suspension, but do really want to protect myself against rod bearings, throttle actuators and Vanos...

A quote for Stated Care (one below Total Care) was was 2/24k, 100$ deductible = $3995. Powercare (lowest level, sort of a power train +) same terms was $1995.

The engine and trans coverage does not change between the plans, the only thing the higher plans do is cover additional non engine/trans components like window regulators and so forth.

BTW, whoever said the finance managers never get back to you I couldn't agree more. Most of these dopes never got back to me I had to ask the front desk to page the finance manager so I could get answers and quotes. I don't get it...

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
good question...in for answer
No they won't:

OR REPAIRS OR REPLACEMENT TO ANY PART THAT HAS NOT SUFFERED A​
BREAKDOWN​
, OR FOR REPAIR COSTS NOT​
NECESSARY TO CORRECT A​
BREAKDOWN​
, OR IF A PART IS NOT WORN BEYOND FACTORY TOLERANCES, OR FOR DAMAGES​
OR ANY LOSS RESULTING FROM FAULTY OR NEGLIGENT AUTO REPAIR WORK OR FROM THE INSTALLATION OF DEFECTIVE​

PARTS

·
Registered
682 Posts
Didn't think so but it might be interesting if you did the bearings and they were shot and therefore "out of factory tolerances". Doubt you would get reimbursed but I might do mine right at the end of my warranty just to see.

:cheers:

Jim

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just got quotes from Easy Care I also had to go through a dealer since my car is an 08 with 63k and out of original warranty.

They told me that Total Care was not available for my car, how is it available for yours? I am not concerned with electronics or suspension, but do really want to protect myself against rod bearings, throttle actuators and Vanos...

A quote for Stated Care (one below Total Care) was was 2/24k, 100$ deductible = $3995. Powercare (lowest level, sort of a power train +) same terms was $1995.

The engine and trans coverage does not change between the plans, the only thing the higher plans do is cover additional non engine/trans components like window regulators and so forth.

BTW, whoever said the finance managers never get back to you I couldn't agree more. Most of these dopes never got back to me I had to ask the front desk to page the finance manager so I could get answers and quotes. I don't get it...
If i have free time this week end let me know i can help you go to the finance manager that i know.. I have the comprehensive one if i remember it correctly it's the total care.

Pretty much its covers everything.

I did get the total care to prevent loops holes. Eg..
Like the SMG is not covered
Smg....clutch, fly wheel..

If you closely on the power care it seems like the clutch and smg is not covered,

I could be wrong but i got the comprehensive anyway.
?
Where do you live btw..

·
Registered
28 Posts

If i have free time this week end let me know i can help you go to the finance manager that i know.. I have the comprehensive one if i remember it correctly it's the total care.

If you closely on the power care it seems like the clutch and smg is not covered,

?
Where do you live btw..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Got a quote from Carchex. Says the warranty is through American Auto Shield. Car is at 84,000 miles. Warranty is for 3yr/36000 miles.

Platinum- $8600
Silver- $4578
Gold- $6832
Bronze- $3419

Anybody had experience with any of these? Car has a list of maintenance but has not had rod bearings. Just thinking of covering my butt for the rod bearings and anything else that might come up.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I don't think a warranty will cover rod bearing replacement, but only engine replacement in the case of bearing failure. They don't consider preventative maintenance worth paying for, even if it could save them boatloads of money in the long run.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I figured they wouldn't cover preventative but in case I didn't do it for a while, it would be covered under the warranty if anything happened. I've just been thinking if it's pretty much the same price for basic coverage that would repair it if something happened due to the rod bearings, why not just get the warranty that way it also covers other stuff.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Got a quote from Carchex. Says the warranty is through American Auto Shield. Car is at 84,000 miles. Warranty is for 3yr/36000 miles.

Platinum- $8600
Silver- $4578
Gold- $6832
Bronze- $3419

Anybody had experience with any of these? Car has a list of maintenance but has not had rod bearings. Just thinking of covering my butt for the rod bearings and anything else that might come up.
I was only offered the gold and may go with that.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Folks,

Before you buy an extended warranty, ask them how much do they think your car is worth to them. This will be very helpful in the E60 community and the rod bearing failure horror stories. Here is why, my friend has (had lol) a 2009 335i Manual Coupe M Package white/red 80,xxx miles - beautiful car. Long story short, he was driving around 30mph 3rd gear, rod bearings went out and locked his motor. His extended warranty (I do not know the brand) estimated his car to be worth $15,500 - kbb value. He previously claimed around $4000 worth of repairs and his extended covered it no problem. Now, after the new rod bearing failure, Patrick BMW in Schaumburg, IL estimated the repairs to be upwards of $20k - but the extended will not pay for the full amount, because they only pay up to 80% of cars total value. The 335i is worth $15,500 the extended will cover total repairs throughout the life of the extended warranty up to 80% which is $12,400 minus $4,000 already claimed which comes up to $8,400. Luckily, I found a N54 motor for him for $3,000 and my friend's shop will do the swap for $1000.

Also, as I mentioned in my previous posts I found a loophole in extended warranty plans, a legal loophole that should help all warrantied S85 owners get new set of bearings free of charge minus deductible under any extended warranty plan. I will post details, once I will complete my investigation.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I just cancelled my warranty with Carchex. Trying to get that done was a act of Congress. I took the money that the warranty cost and put it towards bearings, vanos and bushings.... Not going go waste my money playing with fire.....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
469 Posts

?
Where do you live btw..
Hey Can you help with me? Just bought a 07 m6 with 75k, and its been pretty tough trying to buy warranty in CA Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello everyone!

Pretty much been eyeing this thread as I have read from the first post to the last one.

Although I try my best to remember everything from what I have read, I seek assistance in Warranty purchase as a noob to the E60 LCI realm (I apologize in advance for this lengthy post that was probably answered before).

I am looking to finalize my purchase of a 2008 M5 that is pushing less than 88,000 miles. Stock and she is going to stay this way (ok, maybe just an exhaust sometime in the future, so that it matches the tune of a V10 :) but this is not important at the moment)

What I am looking for is the best-in-coverage warranty option (feel free to see the 5 attachments, but I have yet to contact Bruce M :typing: if he still available / around, but a collaborative effort by the members here would be best). Essentially, it is to my understanding that it is best to be on the safer side in the event that either...:

-VANOS
-throttle actuators
-rod bearings
-SMG pump (flywheel and clutch?)
-transmission?
-motor parts (i.e.: alternator, thermostat, O2 sensors, etc,)
-the engine itself
***beyond this point in the list are a bit less "important" stuff compared to what is listed above in my opinion, but it would be nice to have:
-steering and suspension (i.e.: Steering angle sensor - SAS, Dynamic Damping Control, DSC, DBC, EBC, etc.)?
-and electrical interior components (like the active seat bolsters; and ABS, PDC, TPM, etc. modules, to name a few)

...goes out while in my ownership. I am not going to mod this car, beat it up, or use it as a track race car. This is my dream car and I want to baby it as much as possible with it mainly being my weekend car (and occasional/random use during the weekday).

I do have the ability to do some work on the car, but the rationale in having a warranty makes it appear to be more efficient. It is not to say that there are no funds, but I mean, ~$2,400 for throttle actuator? Really? The "reliability" of the E60 M5 is not what causes alarm; rather, it is the costs of the parts alone that raises an eyebrow. Plus, it is difficult to find a E60 M5 at junk / salvage yards that is being parted out. My neck of the woods is Central NJ.

Although certain companies, from what it appears to be, may or are no longer in business, these seem to pop up as companies that offer that "elite" coverage that basically covers everything through an Exclusionary underwriting:

Zurich
EasyCare
Carchex
Fidelity

Service done at BMW dealerships is preferred, but going to either a local Indy shop or local BMW dealership for repairs is not a major factor. Nor is selecting a reputable aftermarket warranty company over a company that is offered by and works with the local BMW-finance department. Just looking to search for the "everything is covered" plan.

So, with these listed items being factored into the warranty contract framework that I look for, may someone assist in guiding/pointing in the right direction for advice / quotes, and the associated deductibles (any $0 ded. that I can jump on :) )? Hopefully they are all well priced in getting a great deal! Is there an expert, or someone who at least experienced the "everything is covered" plan???

If it were up to me, getting a two year contract works for me (since what I really look for is an Alpine White E60 M5 LCI 09-10, but this will most likely happen sometime in the future when there are more funds available to get/afford one w/ fewer miles--~60k mi), and/or when the car reaches 110,000 miles (ideally, to be on the safe side). I know that a plan's term begins when the contract takes effect and that the mileage starts from 0; But before starting the transaction on this 08 M5 that I am looking to get, I had gone to see another 08 M5 that supposedly still had warranty on it (from what I skimmed through the paperwork that was shown to me). The seller had said he bought the car with ~100k miles from a dealer and the car, at the time when I went to see it, had 114 thousand-and-change miles.

Can anyone shed some light on this? If they exist, and are they worth it in terms of value AND reputable coverage (i.e.: paying $10k for the warranty is a bit of a stretch for a 100k+ mi car at the time of purchase, no? for if they fight / do not approve claims)

Also, probably a stupid question, but how will the Warranty company cover something "fishy" per say: oh look here, a recent buyer and a month down the road, things go *boom* ? A "PPI" or something taking place? I read in this thread that a few members (3 weeks down the road, and a month of purchase if I recall correctly) were helped and back on the road. Maybe this is also where the terminology part that is up for debate arises: preventative maintenance, fault, failure, defective, wear and tear, consumable, broken, flawed, malfunction, etc.

I just do not think there will be any business in the 'aftermarket warranty' sector to run all of these words / verbiage in order for them not to pay out a claim lol

Attachments

361 - 380 of 409 Posts
About this Discussion
408 Replies
163 Participants
TurboDave
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing