BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

241 - 260 of 409 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Best value extended warranty out there

So my Zurich extended warranty expires in April, and I'm looking to definitely do a new 2 year or 3 year extended warranty. I called Zurich and here are the prices they gave me:

Comprehensive plan with $100 deductible

5 yr $15000
3 yr $9200
2 yr $6812

Powertrain plan only
5 yr $7018
3 yr $5036
2 yr $4200

These prices are INSANE.

I then contacted Carchex, and the guy quoted me $3200 for their best plan, for 3 years, which I thought sounded too good to be true. I asked him what is all included and he said everything minus interior trim pretty much.

Anybody have any experience with Carchex? Any other recommendations for good, cheap, extended warranties?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yes, these prices are nuts! However, think about warranty on our cars as insurance. It is added cost of owning a car that costs thousands to fix if something little goes wrong. USAA's rates are similar. I spoke with my service adviser and he said most aftermarket warranty companies do all they can to wiggle out of covering issues on our cars. Good luck!

·
Registered
355 Posts
How many miles are allowed with those warranties? Pricey indeed. But...then a 2006 is about 8 years old. It is all about Total Cost of Ownership - these cars are not cheap.

I think a well known, reputable company, with references (talk to people who have experience with them) warranty would be a must. A "no name brand" and you will probably get little to nothing out of them.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I just bought one from USAA (purchased through USAA but the warranty provider is Assurant) and spent $2900 for a 2/24. I figure USAA tends to stand behind its stuff, so even if I have a problem with Assurant hopefully USAA would step in. I've only read about one issue here with Assurant and it was because some previous repair was cited as a cause for the current issue. I think that could happen with most warranties though, and fortunately for me my car has a pretty spotless service history.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Okay, here is an example of BMW coverage and others! Talking to the service adviser he said this other warranty covers navigation, but not the monitor. Go figure! The bottom line is other warranties go there best to get out of coverage.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Quick question.

If I was to buy a used E60 M5 08 and up some place other then a BMW dealership, can I still call the dealership and get a warranty on the car?
Yes

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
So my Zurich extended warranty expires in April, and I'm looking to definitely do a new 2 year or 3 year extended warranty. I called Zurich and here are the prices they gave me:

Comprehensive plan with $100 deductible

5 yr $15000 :eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h:
3 yr $9200 :eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h:
2 yr $6812 :eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h:

Powertrain plan only
5 yr $7018 :eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h:
3 yr $5036 I can understand this price
2 yr $4200 I can understand this price

A refurb s85 engine is much less than the 5 yr $15000 so it is asinine to pay that for warranty. The only thing you have to worry about is s85 engine and if the price of warranty is much more than a refurb engine, RUN not WALK away, RUN. Not worth the paper the warranty is printed on. lol at the $100 deductible for 15k policy.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yes, these prices are nuts! However, think about warranty on our cars as insurance. It is added cost of owning a car that costs thousands to fix if something little goes wrong. USAA's rates are similar. I spoke with my service adviser and he said most aftermarket warranty companies do all they can to wiggle out of covering issues on our cars. Good luck!
20 year USAA member here, but still thing the best plan is an extra savings account. I did that with my Porsche 911 and worked out fine. These plans on an older car are just not worth it. It boils down to....you bought a used car that is expensive to repair if broke. Do you pay an arm and a leg for a policy that has loop holes or just put money away in a different savings account for problems and maintenance. My personal experience is just get a different savings account....and make interest money off it till you need it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just got a quote on a 08 M5 for a Zurich warranty, 5yrs/65k miles for $8800, it literally jumped $900 in a week!!! Last week I was quoted $7800. The dealer says it may be cause it's the first of the year....so I guess Zurich sees it as the car being another year older???

·
Company Representative for Becks Imports LLC
418 Posts
I just got a quote on a 08 M5 for a Zurich warranty, 5yrs/65k miles for $8800, it literally jumped $900 in a week!!! Last week I was quoted $7800. The dealer says it may be cause it's the first of the year....so I guess Zurich sees it as the car being another year older???
Could be that, or could be that they raised their prices on Jan 1st, which a lot of companies do.

Email me your car's info (VIN#, odometer reading, how long a term/miles per year you're interested in), I can get you some quotes.

Bruce
Becks Imports
[email protected]

·
Registered
534 Posts
I paid

5000 for extended warranty
6 years or 100k miles
100 usd deductible on each visit

Guess what -- my car currently has 29k miles

·
Registered
534 Posts
Ps
i have zurich

·
Registered
145 Posts
Going to be in the market for a m5 real soon.. Looking for 2008 and up, 6spd only, and 65k miles or less.. Looking for as much coverage as possible... Only need 2-3 years max. Will the good platinum warranties cost me $8000+... Are the $3600 and $4400 days over??

Its seems like the only people getting decent prices have 35k miles or less

This probbaly will make my decesion to settle for an e39 m5 and keep my turbo e46 m3 much easier

·
Registered
45 Posts
honda care & first extended warranties.

Looked at 2 08 M5 at 2 different dealers. One offers Honda care warranty, thru Honda, and the second dealer 'first extended'. Cost is $4800 for 4 years 48K miles. Mileage is 47K and 60K.

I could not find any reference of those 2 companies in this thread. Has anyone used them ? happy?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Anybody have any experience with CarChex? They quoted $3300 for 3 years, and I keep getting a $200 off coupon via e-mail as well.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I bought my 07 M5 with almost 56,000 miles last Tuesday, and I also bought the Fidelity Gold Plus 3yr/36,000 miles (one below the platinum) for $5,250 with $250 deductible at the dealership. Hopefully, I don't need to use it too many times. :M5thumbs:

·
418 Posts
Anybody have any experience with CarChex? They quoted $3300 for 3 years, and I keep getting a $200 off coupon via e-mail as well.
With a car like this, you likely won't be happy with CarChex. They are very 'book' oriented and that can leave you reaching into your pocket with dealer repairs. Also, their inspectors are aggressive about modifications, and from looking at your sig, your car likely would get flagged and coverage voided.

Bruce

·
418 Posts
I bought my 07 M5 with almost 56,000 miles last Tuesday, and I also bought the Fidelity Gold Plus 3yr/36,000 miles (one below the platinum) for $5,250 with $250 deductible at the dealership. Hopefully, I don't need to use it too many times. :M5thumbs:
How much more was Platinum? You should seriously consider it if it's within your budget as the coverage is much more extensive.

Also, since you just got your warranty and are within the refund period, if you need a quote on an exclusionary warranty (Platinum level) for your car, feel free to email me at [email protected].

Thanks, and good luck with the car!

Bruce
Becks Imports LLC
856-912-2600
[email protected]

241 - 260 of 409 Posts
About this Discussion
408 Replies
163 Participants
TurboDave
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing