BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ladies, quick question. Couldn’t find an answer in the search.

My bonnet / hood latches (just realised i didn’t search for ‘hood’) are seized. I can’t close the bonnet. It’s been getting progressively worse. I’m just going to replace them.

Will these do the job? I have no issue with non BMW as long as it’s OEM quality but I suppose I have no way of knowing if that’s the case.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/183778012842

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Touring team,

I never got to the point of why this thread is called ‘all the things you should NOT do....’

The point was supposed to be
1. Never ever do business with the slime-ball previous owner (named Jamie Lawrence)
2. Never buy a car off eBay without seeing it (I do this every time and I never learn)

This guy Jamie Lawrence told me the rod bearings had been done in the last 10,000 miles and that he had receipts to back it all up. I stupidly trusted him and didn’t insist on seeing the paperwork beforehand. Car gets paid for and delivered, rod bearings paperwork (amongst other documents) is missing, I call him only to find he has blocked my number. Nice one Yas. You’ve done it again. :cautious:

Anyway, I’ve been paying for it by slowing getting the car back into TIP TOP shape. I’ve recently dropped the car off a place called Redish motorsport in the UK - mainly so that I can drive the car properly without having to worry about rod bearings. I have to say I finally seem to have found a team of people who give me comfort that they know what they are doing.

Check it out:

More to come...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Lovely car. I think I may follow you on IG. What a ball ache re: bearings but for peace of mind it's so worth doing. Redish are a week known place. I got mine doing few years back with CPC.

I'm @that.m6 (Sam) on IG.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good to see that you're taking care of it. It's def a risk of buying a used car. I got mine because it was cheap and it was local, so I went over to test drive it. Everything looked to be in order except a the exterior was in rough shape, but I kinda wanted a "beater" that I don't mind not washing or waxing on like I do with my other cars. I would still take grear care of the car mechanically.

I definitely dumped a few grand myself to ensure that my car was mechanically sound and reliable for me to daily drive. I got unlucky and had to replaced the throttle actuators within a month of ownership, but I'm glad I did the work on my own since it taught me how to work on the car + figuring out the coding/service software. Loving the car so far and I'm really hoping that Jim at FAMS sends me tunes for my car so I can go catless headers for more powa!

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Always best to take it somewhere you can trust. I don’t trust the local dealer so a 20 mile drive means I take it somewhere where the tech who works on it used to work for me and where I work they own 55 dealers in the UK so I also get staff rates for the Touring as well.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Always best to take it somewhere you can trust. I don’t trust the local dealer so a 20 mile drive means I take it somewhere where the tech who works on it used to work for me and where I work they own 55 dealers in the UK so I also get staff rates for the Touring as well.

Cheers

Exactly! I took it 150 miles to get to these guys!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Nightmare!

This is after I dried up inches of water in the battery compartment. The car could have caught fire! Disconnected battery and moved the polystyrene module holder to find more standing water. In the second photo you can see the little tray is full of water and whatever that module is that I removed, it's suffering from corrosion from water damage!

To make matters even worse, I closed the boot after I removed the battery (IDIOT) and so I had to use jump leads and another car to get power to the tailgate to open it.

I've cleaned the whole area. Now to find the culprit. Will start with the drain hoses. I had a go at pulling them out but they wouldn't budge. Will give it a but more muscle next time to try to get the end grommets to pop off.

Can anyone link me a DIY of how to drop the headliner to access the hoses?

Y
I had bought a used 2006 530xi with 176,000 miles for what i thought was a steal.
during negotiations i noted the drooping head liner, thus this small time dealers attempt at diversity antenna leak fix, thus was aware i was buying a problem, but i like challenges.

Turns out it had all the same water issues.
No need to pull drain hoses, the root cause is an idiotic design on the hose ends, just pull out those rubber nipples and they will never plug up again.
Forget about a new sunroof cassette, the double sliding panoramic sunroof has such a large perimeter it is always going to allow water in.
I used a tea kettle of boiling water on the sunroof gutters till water gushing out of hose ends was clear, done unplugged.
I got to the point i could blast full water pressure at sunroof perimeter water would simple run out the 4 drain hoses, the sunroof gutters do a great job without letting water into car as long as hose ends are clear.

I did not spend a dime on fixing this.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I watched all 3 videos. Thanks for sharing. Please post more when you can. Redish is well known in the E46 community for doing superior work on the rear subframe/sheet metal body structure issue. I wish they were over here in the states too, the level of workmanship that they have with their tradesmen is top notch, and they always use the proper equipment and procedures to fix the issues right. I think you made the right decision despite it being so far away and congrats on having a M5 touring, I wish we had those over here.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Good videos thanks for sharing

21 - 37 of 37 Posts