BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends,

Brand new member, first post. I will explain in more detail shortly, but for now I need your advice please.

You remember that scene in ‘Herbie goes bananas’ when the bad guy puts Irish coffee into Herbie’s fuel tank, and Herbie goes....bananas. That’s exactly what happened to my M5 touring yesterday. Completely bat %%^£ crazy. Wipers going, headlights on and off, door locking and unlocking, gauges lighting up like July 4th, ALL of the warning signs, etc.

A quick search on the net = check the spare wheel well (which is actually the electronics and battery well) for water.

As soon as I open the boot i can see condensation. I life the boot pan and I see water in the tools section. I open the left cubby and all the Electricals are covered in water. I lift the tool section of the boot and I see 3 inches of water. It’s all over all of the modules, the battery etc.

That explains it.

The question is: where is it coming from:
1. Blocked hose ends from the pan roof in the left and right cubbies
2. Rear headlight seal
3. Rear boot seal

None of these, I believe explain how the water has dispersed from the left hand cubby hole, throughout the entire boot area, UNLESS, when the hose ends from the pan roof become blocked due to the grommets at the bottom, the pipes leak not from the bottom, but from the top of the pipe, in the sun roof cassette somewhere.

As I type this, I think that must be the explanation.

So what I think i need to do, is to remove the grommet by pulling hard on the hose, then to clear out the pipes by remove the pipe entirely and blowing compressed air through them.

I know the headliner needs to be dropped for the second point. I haven’t searched for it yet, but i assume there will be a DIY on here somewhere.

Any tips?

A pleasure to meet you all.

Y

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having problems. Any pictures of your touring? My Touring is Silverstone

Mine looks like it has had water in the back at some point in its life.

Keep us updated please.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
A relatively common issue with e61 wagons. At least for 535i in the states, never got the "estate" M5 here though I'd think the issues/solutions would be the same.

If memory serves, water can get in on the hatch via the antenna amplifier. A little bit of silicone sealant will fix it. Also can check sunroof drains, they get clogged super easy.

Edit because I'm a super good speller

·
Registered
235 Posts
My vote goes to the drain hoses. All tourings with panorama roof are affected special equipment option "indoor pool". Those drain hoses should be cleaned every year. Dealer will do it in "vehicle check" which is scheduled once per year. Vehicle check costs only 54€. If you are diy'er add those in your maintenance plan.

You can rule out seals by going in the trunk and ask some one to spray water from outside to seams etc.

With tourings you should be always careful when using pressure washer. Trunk spoiler area is very sensitive to the water and it can ruin your diversity antenna amplifier which is located under the spoiler.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nightmare!

This is after I dried up inches of water in the battery compartment. The car could have caught fire! Disconnected battery and moved the polystyrene module holder to find more standing water. In the second photo you can see the little tray is full of water and whatever that module is that I removed, it's suffering from corrosion from water damage!

To make matters even worse, I closed the boot after I removed the battery (IDIOT) and so I had to use jump leads and another car to get power to the tailgate to open it.

I've cleaned the whole area. Now to find the culprit. Will start with the drain hoses. I had a go at pulling them out but they wouldn't budge. Will give it a but more muscle next time to try to get the end grommets to pop off.

Can anyone link me a DIY of how to drop the headliner to access the hoses?

Y

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The culprit!!!

Put the car back together, the battery is back in, the electrics mostly dry and connected back up. The car started!

Still throwing out lots of errors. Drove it to the garage.

The issue is now that the shop are making noises that this is going to cost moneeeeeeey to replace all the modules.

I'm scared.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll also add that the garage won't allow me to purchase second hand modules. It's all gotta be straight from BMW. Update to follow tomorrow.

·
1,560 Posts
Other than DME and CAS and maybe cluster all other modules can be swapped between cars (coding needed). Ebay will be your friend. BS if your shop wants to buy new modules.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'll also add that the garage won't allow me to purchase second hand modules. It's all gotta be straight from BMW. Update to follow tomorrow.

Very sensible. If the secondhand units are damaged or cause damage then it becomes very difficult to prove and also they can’t provide any warranty on the work or parts.

Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
£2000 for 4 new modules, clear out of the Pan Roof cassette, clear out of the pipes, and associated time spend changing the connectors and plugs etc.

LESSON #1: DO NOT BUY AN M5 TOURING WITHOUT CHECKING THE BOOT PAN FOR WATER INGRESS OR EVIDENCE OF PAST WATER DAMAGE

·
Registered
45 Posts
I feel you. I had the same issue on 550iT with panoramic roof.
Therefor I was so happy when I found and bought M5 Touring without panoramic roof.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chaps, after I got my car back from the shop, I kept getting an error that the roof was open.

It seems I need an entire new roof cassette on my M5. At least that is what my Indy is telling me but they seem to be the almost-BMW-dealership type of independent, which is good in some ways but bad when you want them to use some ingenuity to save time and money.

The issue is that apparently the cassette is no longer available as a complete unit from BMW. Rather, you need to buy the individual components which is adding up to £4500.

I’d like to ask this group the following questions:
1. Does anyone know how it might be possible to acquire a new roof cassette for E61?
2. Does anyone know of a garage in the UK that has experience of working on pan sunroofs and might have the skills to get this one working? My gut tells me this isn’t a 4.5k job.

Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cayman Autos in Redhill are supposedly the people to see ( I've never used them, no affiliation etc.)

I inspected/discounted an E61 for bad sunroof leaks before buying mine a few years ago. It's a really common fault.

There's a private Facebook group for E61 M5 owners, most of which are in the UK - worth joining for the advice.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Think someone else with an e61 got a replacement cassette last year so it could be they are NLA or just on back order. Surely they can just replace the individual parts that are failing rather than everything?

Cheers

·
Registered
88 Posts
The Facebook group is good. I’m an admin on it so can add you

Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Facebook group is good. I’m an admin on it so can add you

Cheers

Thank you, I am new to Facebook. Do you mind letting me know the exact name of the group. I wasn’t able to find it. I see a bunch of E60/E61 M5 groups, and buying and selling groups, but no UK E61 M5 Touring group. I’ve tried a bunch of search combos.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts