BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
So fly down, get a PPI on 1 or 2 or 3, buy the best one of the bunch and drive it home.

I flew to Montreal in 2007 to buy mine and drove it home over 2000 miles.

What a great road trip!

·
Registered
59 Posts
So fly down, get a PPI on 1 or 2 or 3, buy the best one of the bunch and drive it home.

I flew to Montreal in 2007 to buy mine and drove it home over 2000 miles.

What a great road trip!
+1

I flew to CA to pick up my beast in November. Man, what a great trip it was:noSMG:

·
Registered
931 Posts
Haha, are you serious? Fly down to Arizona, and check out this Jet Black M5 on your own:byebye:

It's like asking: Why are all hot girls on the West Coast:thumbsup:

Reactions: ard

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Road trip buddy. Nine times out of ten when you're buying cars that are like this - a bit rare - you're going to need to travel. Unless you're not at all picky and don't want the best vehicle for the best price.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tough to get off work for a 2000 mile + road trip. If I found something I liked could always fly out see it in person, pay for it and arrange to get it shipped back home then fly back? factor in about another $800 or so for that so that is a possibility.

Lots of flakes out there on craigslist where I see most posted would hate to get out there and have the car sold or something like that as have had things happen like that here buying things. This past summer I was to buy a GSXR 750 that was about 3 hours from me and agreed upon a price per my inspection when I got there and when I did some old 70 yr old women said her son was not there and when I called him he said he changed his mind about selling it and forgot to tell me. Right before I left to drive out I even texted him to confirm all was ok and I would be up in 3 hours. Anyways was very pissed off.

Would be even more pissed if I flew up and something like this happened. Just lots of flakes out there.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Pay for an inspection service to check it out for you. Still doesn't replace a thorough PPI from a reputable place and seeing it in person. However, likely be cheaper than flying out there yourself. Or call in some favors from people you know in that area.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I flew out to get mine. They were asking for like $47K talked them down to $35k and had an awesome drive home. I flew to South Dakota and I live at the bottom of Georgia

·
Registered
661 Posts
I flew out to get mine. They were asking for like $47K talked them down to $35k and had an awesome drive home. I flew to South Dakota and I live at the bottom of Georgia

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I like the carbon black one. Seller seems to have knowledge how to maintain these fine beasts.......

·
Registered
384 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks I saw those two of them have two tone interior which is the only non-negotiable item on one and the other is at a really bad car dealership that I have been to before which sells crappy cars. Have decided not to buy from a place like that and focus on private sellers.

·
Registered
651 Posts

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I looked for 7 months. be patient.

You are doing the right things- most important is to get other members here to engage for you and be your 'local eyes'. Always a member nearby. This will cut out the flakes.

Good luck

A

PS No snow here. Thats why you buy from west coast, south....

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Tough to get off work for a 2000 mile + road trip. If I found something I liked could always fly out see it in person, pay for it and arrange to get it shipped back home then fly back? factor in about another $800 or so for that so that is a possibility.

Lots of flakes out there on craigslist where I see most posted would hate to get out there and have the car sold or something like that as have had things happen like that here buying things. This past summer I was to buy a GSXR 750 that was about 3 hours from me and agreed upon a price per my inspection when I got there and when I did some old 70 yr old women said her son was not there and when I called him he said he changed his mind about selling it and forgot to tell me. Right before I left to drive out I even texted him to confirm all was ok and I would be up in 3 hours. Anyways was very pissed off.

Would be even more pissed if I flew up and something like this happened. Just lots of flakes out there.
$800?

try at least $300 for airfare, then easily 1000 for shipping the vehicle, so 1300 minimum on a good day.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I live in Los Angeles and guess where I bought my M5 from? A fellow board member in CT.

Be patient my friend, the right car will come along.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The carbon black M5 that you first listed has been posted for about 6 months. I watched the price go from 22k to 19k now. I don't know if M5s are just not selling in the local area or not, but he doesn't seem to be able to move the car even though it sounds like it was decently maintained from his ad description.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I've bought two M5s long distance, both from Chicago and I'm in NC. The first one I flew up and drove home (summer) the current one I am having shipped (arrives today or tomorrow!) and is costing me $1100 for an enclosed trailer. It would cost me around $500 for plane tickets, gas, hotels, etc. to drive it home.

From CA it would be a no-brainer - have it shipped. If possible, get a board member to check it out and recommend a shop for the PPI. Talk to the seller on the phone, forget the emails and texting, that's no way to buy a car.

It seems that I see a fair number of cars for sale in the DC area, so one would think that you could find one locally. Not sure what your criteria is other than no two-tone interior (I'm with you there).

Generally speaking, I think I'd stay away from Craigslist. It just seems like a lot of flaky people buy and sell with that site. Use the BMW CCA classifieds, this forum, cars.com and autotrader.com to find your car.

If you do decide to fly out and check out the car, first get a contract from the seller and send them a deposit. The contract should state that if the car is not everything that it was promised to be, you'll get the deposit back. If they sell the car out from under you, the contract should state that they will reimburse you for the plane fare. And refund the deposit, natch!

HTH,
Michael

Reactions: sor118

·
Registered
417 Posts
The carbon black M5 that you first listed has been posted for about 6 months. I watched the price go from 22k to 19k now. I don't know if M5s are just not selling in the local area or not, but he doesn't seem to be able to move the car even though it sounds like it was decently maintained from his ad description.
I knew I'd seen that one for a while now. There is probably a good reason why that car hasn't sold just yet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts