BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks to Adam Hedspeth at Wheel Exchange I have now for the first time invested money in a set of winter wheels and tires. I am very curious to see how it all works out for me. I am so use to leaving my car at the side of roads, slipping just to get out of my own house or choose just to foot it to local stores.

Anyway I got:
18x8.5 Alutec Wheels
Dunlop Winter M3 (non-run flats, wish I did though)
Tire: 235x35x18 all around.

It is a very skinny setup similar to if I were have gotten 17' especially with the 235 all around not 240 as most 17' inchers tend to get but less side wall.

I actually search long and hard to just find a beater car for the winter for the same price but I couldn't pull myself to it and didn't want to end up having more maintenance issues.

In all it cost me $1,564.00 shipped. Anyway, I am more excited about the goodies I am waiting to be delivered from Sean(Supercharged) at Discovery Automotive. Yup folks luckily my birthday presents for the next like 5 years according to my wife is coming all at once :1: .

Oh the goodies are the basic mod stuff people tend to do like:
UUC SSK w DSSR
SS exhaust w/xpipe
IATS
AA CAI package

Late

Attachments

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Ohhh, I see the mod bug has bitten big time! Congrats, great way to start modding the beast, very good first steps in IMO!

As far as the winter package, you won't regret it. In fact, you will need it! Even though I am sure you will not be driving up to the ski resorts with the Beast, but it is a nice peace of mind that you can actually take the Beast out in the winter.

I am driving with a staggered set of Pirelli WinterSport 240s on my extra set of OEM rims, and your setup is superior to mine in the sense of winter condition driveability. I have faired quite well with my setup, so that indicated you should be just set to face the conditions.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
cosioboy said:
Ohhh, I see the mod bug has bitten big time! Congrats, great way to start modding the beast, very good first steps in IMO!

As far as the winter package, you won't regret it. In fact, you will need it! Even though I am sure you will not be driving up to the ski resorts with the Beast, but it is a nice peace of mind that you can actually take the Beast out in the winter.

I am driving with a staggered set of Pirelli WinterSport 240s on my extra set of OEM rims, and your setup is superior to mine in the sense of winter condition driveability. I have faired quite well with my setup, so that indicated you should be just set to face the conditions.
The mod bug as been bitting for like 3 months. That is how I even got a M5. I had a 01 540i/6 for a year and a half and was thinking heavily of gettting it modded but then I tought to my self all the modding won't make me faster necesarily than a M and would handle quite as well. So that is why I got it. I told my wife once I get it I will not look to mod anything because it has all I need. Boy was I wrong the mistake was getting on this addictive forum and then all hell broke loose. I wanted more and still do. I will never make that statement ever again, it just makes me look greedy in the end HA HA.

Now I am searching on Beastpower to get Valentine V1 but not sure if I need the laser jammer as well. In fact I believe it might be illegal for the laser jammer but in MD the detector is ok. I am not necessarily a speedster but I know they will want to pull me over just to bother me.

Late

·
Registered
150 Posts
That's great to know they sell winter tires at the wheel exchange. I thought they only sold wheels and summer tires. For winter I'm planning on getting a set of replica M Parallel's (18x8/18.9.5) and a set of Dunlop M3's. I'll be giving them a call.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
M5_ForMe said:
That's great to know they sell winter tires at the wheel exchange. I thought they only sold wheels and summer tires. For winter I'm planning on getting a set of replica M Parallel's (18x8/18.9.5) and a set of Dunlop M3's. I'll be giving them a call.
I had no clue they did either. Infact i called there two weeks agao and a guy told me they don't sell winter tires so I was gonna get them from The Rack and buy the wheels there but when I called up I luckily got Adam who said they can order them for me, which will only take 2 days to get to them. I got everything within 5 days.

As a not be careful with the 9.5 in the rear the huge staggered setup with this large rear width from what I understand even with winters on do not tend to fair well because of the width of the tire which tends to push snow rather than tread it. I am sure they will give you a good recommendation any way. In fact they usually recommend 17's but that was too small for my taste.

Also if you get the 9.5 in the rear make sure you get a skinny tire setup or else you might be disapointed in your purchase. The problems you will face is lack of movement at a stand still but on teh go you will be fine. So it won't be a complete waste. I am not an expert but I spoke in depth with the guys at TireRack and WheelExchange and pretty much any local tire guy I could find because I was sheeling out so much money. Either way as long as you got the winters you can't really go wrong but I guess what it is is that you can get better depending on your need.

If you call WheelExchange ask to speak with Adam, he is very efficient. I can't speak for the others but he was definately very helpful.

Late

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Well, you are definitely part of the family (or cult as outsiders refer to us ;) ), so welcome!

Good choice on upgrading from the 540'/6 to the Beast - otherwise you could have easlily found yourself spending massive amounts of money trying to up the performance to a Beast's level, yet still not getting the 'real deal'. LOL

Even after you install these well picked mods, you will soon be tossing and turning in bed thinking of headers, diffs, clutches, etc. And this Board is the best place to do it. Here it is acceptable to stand up and say "Hi, I am XYZ and I am an M5 mod-oholic" :D

PS
Go for the V-1

PS2
Women should know better not to believe their car aficionado husbands that they will not mod their car. It's like guys should never believe a woman saying she has bought her last pair of $400 shoes... :2:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cosioboy said:
Well, you are definitely part of the family (or cult as outsiders refer to us ;) ), so welcome!

Good choice on upgrading from the 540'/6 to the Beast - otherwise you could have easlily found yourself spending massive amounts of money trying to up the performance to a Beast's level, yet still not getting the 'real deal'. LOL

Even after you install these well picked mods, you will soon be tossing and turning in bed thinking of headers, diffs, clutches, etc. And this Board is the best place to do it. Here it is acceptable to stand up and say "Hi, I am XYZ and I am an M5 mod-oholic" :D

PS
Go for the V-1

PS2
Women should know better not to believe their car aficionado husbands that they will not mod their car. It's like guys should never believe a woman saying she has bought her last pair of $400 shoes... :2:

Hey I can use PS2, thanks (LOL)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Does anyone know what is the narrowest tire one can mount on the E39 M5? I have some almost new 225/45 17" winter tires left over from my old car and I'd love to reuse them.

In the searches I've done, the narrowest I've seen is 235.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
R748 said:
Does anyone know what is the narrowest tire one can mount on the E39 M5? I have some almost new 225/45 17" winter tires left over from my old car and I'd love to reuse them.

In the searches I've done, the narrowest I've seen is 235.
I am not a expert, but you have to make sure the 17' wheel can fit over the M5 brake calipers. It is not easy to find some that do. However I believe if you do them that it can be put on the M5. I am comepletely sure though it might not be recommended because of the over width of the car but I have no clue. The biggie is the wheel though that much I know.

Late

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts