BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the M5 and looking for some recommendations. On our quattro Audi TT we started with gen one Michilen pilots. decent grip, but loud. Went to Continental extreme contact all seasons = great grip, super quiet, a little squirmy on turn in due to tall tread, killer in the snow. Next set (continentals on national back order), we got the Pirelli p zero niros = still reasonably quiet, a little better stiffness for turn in, have not had them in snow yet.

So since I've put a new clutch in, I'm noticing faint rear tire rubber marks in the rear view mirror (not burn outs, just good hard acceleration) so I'm anticipating a short lifespan on the current M5 gen 2 pilots. Starting to consider what to replace them with. We'll use the car year round in MAryland and all-seasons tend to have longer tread life. So what to get?

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you really care about grip and handling (which I assume you do given that you decided to buy an M5), get 2 sets of tires - summer and winter.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I agree. To use the M5 year around up north, have max performance summer tires and specific winter tires on seperate rims. All seasons are very good these days but still compromise summer performance yet don't provide enough winter traction to be true 4 season tires. I've found the Pilot PS2s to have excellent wet weather traction so they're great for 3 seasons. For the few times Charlotte gets bad weather, I drive a winter beater. It didn't cost much more than rims and a few sets of tires.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season are the way to go. They cost alot but are worth every penny. I ran them in a 19" on my E55 AMG and they were simply amazing in the snow. They are excellent in the wet and dry and have a 400 treadwear rating.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts