BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 4401 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Absolutely.

I originally had written some disclaimers in there about the grammar part not applying to folks who could also take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foriegn Language), but finally decided that I wasn't trying to write a novel or a legal disclaimer so I took it all out :)

Plus, in my experience, folks for whom English is not the primary language tend to have better grammar than native speakers. The wording choices can sometimes be interesting, but the grammar is typically exceptional :cheers:

d-
I agree with both you and Ard, Doug.

My point was really the other way round in asking native speakers to avoid language that could be impenetrable to non-native speakers. I say this because even I have problems understanding American colloquialisms sometimes and English is my mother tongue.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Oh trust me, I understood your post, and agree with it wholeheartedly.

I do enough traveling to foreign (note spelling this time :)) countries to know that even little things, like asking for a "bubbler" instead of a "water fountain" can cause people to have no idea what you are talking about. Accents are the equivalent of bad spelling on a message board, in my opinion, and only make things worse.

At least when writing we all have the opportunity to reflect on what we have written before pushing the "post" button to ensure it is logical, clear, concise and easily understandable...

Doug

·
Registered
11 Posts
Doug, now tell us what you really think!

Good post and a very good and helpful board. . . Now, I do have one question about oil filters . . .:)

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Doug, now tell us what you really think!

Good post and a very good and helpful board. . . Now, I do have one question about oil filters . . .:)
I'm here to help :)

And you should whatever oil filter brand you are comfortable with, but I wouldn't skimp too much! Personally, I use Fram...

d-

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
As a fellow grump, I would also like to add one more suggestion. If a post is more than a month or so old, PLEASE do not post a meaningless response like "me too", "I have that problem also", "Nice car", etc. The thread may be new to you, but it is fairly annoying to the rest of us to go to the new post expecting something of relevance only to see old news being re-hashed. Then of course, 6 additonal posts follow it b/c those members (rightfully) do not realize the post is so old.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I really do not mind seeing some old subjects brought to light from time to time. New blood can bring new ideas to the table. I always have the ablity to skip what does not interest me.
Agreed, as a multi site owner myself, if boards impart too many 'rules' as often they do, participation & registrations will decline.

The intent of every board should be to foster discussion, not impede it.
As it is, <20% of registrants bother posting anything sans the heavy handed restrictions. Care should be taken to not lessen that figure.

Bothered by newbies asking questions too familiar to you? Tired of seeing that inane oil question? So what... they'll be back to enlighten you on other subject matter should you not dissuade them from doing so.....

Have a day ///

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Sorry, I think they make you keep your original name as a reminder of your past sins :)

j/k, I really don't know but thought it would be fun to tease you a little :)

d-

61 - 80 of 4401 Posts