BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

All driver side headlights out

2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  LeakyM5 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I let my 2003 M5 sit for a couple weeks while fixing a couple leaks and repainting the brake calipers. When I went to start it after all the repairs, my driver side headlights won't turn on now. Not only that, every light in the driver side headlight housing isn't working (blinker, halo lights, high beam, low beam). Just a month ago the driver fog light wasn't working even though the bulb was fine, does this sound like a light control module? Maybe a bad battery?

#7 ·
It's very, very unlikely to be something else... hit up @Clemster on here, he'll probably have one. If not, try @mishkinm5

You'll still need to have it coded to the car. It's worth investing in the cables / software. PASoft is ~15, INPA/DIS are free, cable is ~20. Depending on where you're located, there's probably local help too
That's kind of a no brainer for me to invest in. Thank you!

#14 ·
Its software, its all the same. Those selling for $100 are just ripping you off.

Reactions: mgdmb
#16 ·
Not only that, every light in the driver side headlight housing isn't working (blinker, halo lights, high beam, low beam).
Have you done the basics? Although the lack of a ground can affect how the LCM works, all those out together does sound like a ground issue. I don't have a diagram in front of me but a ten minute test might be worth it.
Turn on all those things that are out use a volt meter and hook the ground probe to a solid ground then set the meter to 12V and probe the positive of each of those items if you are getting 12v at any of them you might want to spend some time inspecting the wires maybe you unplugged something or knocked the ground wires free. It just seems strange that the LCM would fail all those items and none others.

#18 ·
Have you done the basics? Although the lack of a ground can affect how the LCM works, all those out together does sound like a ground issue. I don't have a diagram in front of me but a ten minute test might be worth it.
Turn on all those things that are out use a volt meter and hook the ground probe to a solid ground then set the meter to 12V and probe the positive of each of those items if you are getting 12v at any of them you might want to spend some time inspecting the wires maybe you unplugged something or knocked the ground wires free. It just seems strange that the LCM would fail all those items and none others.
It seems strange about most of the reasons BMW parts break so much lol. I appreciate the advice. I'll have to test for this tomorrow and see. I just don't understand how after sitting for 2 weeks while I worked on it the ground point magically goes bad. Usually if it's a bad ground the problem will be intermittent. But the driver side lights haven't worked at all for about a month now. That's why I'm erring on the side that something burnt out in the module or some type of electronic failure

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.