BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I let my 2003 M5 sit for a couple weeks while fixing a couple leaks and repainting the brake calipers. When I went to start it after all the repairs, my driver side headlights won't turn on now. Not only that, every light in the driver side headlight housing isn't working (blinker, halo lights, high beam, low beam). Just a month ago the driver fog light wasn't working even though the bulb was fine, does this sound like a light control module? Maybe a bad battery?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most likely LCM. If you have PASoft or INPA/DIS you can pull the codes...
Welp. That's annoying. Anything else it could be? I don't have any software that can look into that and I'd rather not pay a shop money just for diagnosis

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
It's very, very unlikely to be something else... hit up @Clemster on here, he'll probably have one. If not, try @mishkinm5

You'll still need to have it coded to the car. It's worth investing in the cables / software. PASoft is ~15, INPA/DIS are free, cable is ~20. Depending on where you're located, there's probably local help too

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's very, very unlikely to be something else... hit up @Clemster on here, he'll probably have one. If not, try @mishkinm5

You'll still need to have it coded to the car. It's worth investing in the cables / software. PASoft is ~15, INPA/DIS are free, cable is ~20. Depending on where you're located, there's probably local help too
That's kind of a no brainer for me to invest in. Thank you!

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
I have a 3B for $70 shipped.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I've been doing some research on PA soft 1.4 and it seems really tough to pick one brand. There are a bunch on eBay for $15 but I'm seeing some reputable companies selling them for $100. What brand do you recommend? Or is it safe to go with an eBay one?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Its software, its all the same. Those selling for $100 are just ripping you off.

Reactions: mgdmb

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
^this. I think I paid $15 for mine. Technically, you're paying for the hardware dongle; the software is available on the internet - although I recall it comes with a mini-CD that has the software and drivers

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Not only that, every light in the driver side headlight housing isn't working (blinker, halo lights, high beam, low beam).
Have you done the basics? Although the lack of a ground can affect how the LCM works, all those out together does sound like a ground issue. I don't have a diagram in front of me but a ten minute test might be worth it.
Turn on all those things that are out use a volt meter and hook the ground probe to a solid ground then set the meter to 12V and probe the positive of each of those items if you are getting 12v at any of them you might want to spend some time inspecting the wires maybe you unplugged something or knocked the ground wires free. It just seems strange that the LCM would fail all those items and none others.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^this. I think I paid $15 for mine. Technically, you're paying for the hardware dongle; the software is available on the internet - although I recall it comes with a mini-CD that has the software and drivers
Gotcha. It's funny how sketchy it looks to buy it from a lot of these sellers lol. I'll be picking mine up soon

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have you done the basics? Although the lack of a ground can affect how the LCM works, all those out together does sound like a ground issue. I don't have a diagram in front of me but a ten minute test might be worth it.
Turn on all those things that are out use a volt meter and hook the ground probe to a solid ground then set the meter to 12V and probe the positive of each of those items if you are getting 12v at any of them you might want to spend some time inspecting the wires maybe you unplugged something or knocked the ground wires free. It just seems strange that the LCM would fail all those items and none others.
It seems strange about most of the reasons BMW parts break so much lol. I appreciate the advice. I'll have to test for this tomorrow and see. I just don't understand how after sitting for 2 weeks while I worked on it the ground point magically goes bad. Usually if it's a bad ground the problem will be intermittent. But the driver side lights haven't worked at all for about a month now. That's why I'm erring on the side that something burnt out in the module or some type of electronic failure

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
It seems strange about most of the reasons BMW parts break so much lol. I appreciate the advice. I'll have to test for this tomorrow and see. I just don't understand how after sitting for 2 weeks while I worked on it the ground point magically goes bad. Usually if it's a bad ground the problem will be intermittent. But the driver side lights haven't worked at all for about a month now. That's why I'm erring on the side that something burnt out in the module or some type of electronic failure
I get all that, but as you said they are complicated cars and why something that fails can have many reasons.
With all the information that you have provided, all people can do is guess and guessing just leads to spending money and replacing parts. If you cover some of the basics then people can guess better. Usually the basics are free, that is always good with these money pits.
Couple of things like doing some voltage tests and even telling us if you get any errors saying this light and this light are out might help the guessing game a little. If you are not getting any messages it makes it easier to guess LCM but if you are getting messages then it could be something else.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I get all that, but as you said they are complicated cars and why something that fails can have many reasons.
With all the information that you have provided, all people can do is guess and guessing just leads to spending money and replacing parts. If you cover some of the basics then people can guess better. Usually the basics are free, that is always good with these money pits.
Couple of things like doing some voltage tests and even telling us if you get any errors saying this light and this light are out might help the guessing game a little. If you are not getting any messages it makes it easier to guess LCM but if you are getting messages then it could be something else.
Right! I agree. I'm going to start with some basics and come back to this thread.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts