BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got off the phone with Dwight at Zionsville Autosport and we discussed their all aluminum/alloy radiators.
Their radiators are made in the USA, are a direct replacement and have a lifetime guarantee (or for as long as they are around)
They have a pretty good selection of radiators for the BMW's, they even have a NLA listing for E34, M5 but they have yet to actually make one for the M5 however they are seriously interested because they see it as a product line for the long haul.
The current price point for their Type 13: E31/E32/E34 (540/850/840/740) radiator is $564 and the E38/E39, (740/540) radiator is $690. They originally listed the M5 radiator for $659.
Zionsville Autosport: Cooling Solutions

In-order to set the final pricing and start production they need an M5 radiator (used, bad is OK) to take dimensions.

If there are others that want to participate, live close to the Zionsville store location and are interested in helping get the ball rolling please call Dwight 1-800-246-6377.
They are located at 10805 Andrade Dr. Zionsville, Indiana.

To help coordinate and prevent a duplication of effort please post your intensions.
I'm serious buyer so if other are like me, that is half a country away from Zionsville, I will send my radiator.

If you are serious buyers please reply so at lease there is some indication of interest.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not trying to derail your efforts, but I was just checking to see if you were aware of Wizards Cooling as an alternative option. A number of guys running e24 M6s have used their radiators and been very happy. I haven't heard of any failures. The pricing seems to be pretty good as well. Here's a link to their BMW offerings for comparison. No e34 yet, but I'm sure they'd be willing to do it.

WizardsCooling

BTW I don't work for these guys or even have one of their radiators, but just thought I'd pass along the info.

Eric

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not trying to derail your efforts, but I was just checking to see if you were aware of Wizards Cooling as an alternative option. A number of guys running e24 M6s have used their radiators and been very happy. I haven't heard of any failures. The pricing seems to be pretty good as well. Here's a link to their BMW offerings for comparison. No e34 yet, but I'm sure they'd be willing to do it.

WizardsCooling

BTW I don't work for these guys or even have one of their radiators, but just thought I'd pass along the info.

Eric
Derailing would be another option that works.
I was unaware of WizardCooling.
Between the E24, M6 and E28, M5 there is a lot in common in the engine bay and chassis but almost nothing in common/upgradable between an E24/E28, M6/M5 and an E34, M5.
I owned an E24/M6 and an E34/M5 at the same time and there are a few upgrades from the E34, M5 that work on the M5/M6 but nothing the other way around.
WizardCooling has only E24/E28 ///M stuff and I saw nothing for the E34, M5.
Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would be interested in one for both a '93 E-34 M-5 and an '02 E-39 M-5.
Cool,
Zionsville Autosport currently makes a E39, 540i alloy radiator - Type 6. Since their radiators are high performance the question is it good enough for the S62B50 motor.
I would measure the thickness of you stock radiator core (fin area) and call Dwight to see what thickness Euro OEM cores they use in their Type 6 alloy radiators.
From my conversations and the info on their web site about their alloy radiator, Dwight seems technically knowledgeable.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I just learned that my radiator is slowly leaking, ugh, so I may need a radiator in the future. I definitely don't want this plastic-crimped nonsense, so I'm looking for all-aluminum options. Guessing the Mishimoto E36 one is too small?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A used M5 radiator is on its way to Zionsville and should be there Wednesday, Sept. 10.
Thank you, Tom.
I will stay in contact with Zionsville and post progress information as I get it.
The last conversation I had with Zionsville is it would take 2 weeks or so to schedule in the fabrication but the unknown is the radiator core availability!!

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'm going a slightly different route but I'm glad to see this getting some attention. I've been bouncing ideas around with Ron Davis Radiators but I haven't had a chance to make it down to with the E60 M5 electric fan and E34 M5 radiator to get things wrapped up. Looking forward to seeing your results m6bigdog!

-Greg

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going a slightly different route but I'm glad to see this getting some attention. I've been bouncing ideas around with Ron Davis Radiators but I haven't had a chance to make it down to with the E60 M5 electric fan and E34 M5 radiator to get things wrapped up. Looking forward to seeing your results m6bigdog!

-Greg
Would be nice to have a couple of sources/options for a E34, M5 factory fit radiator.
I anticipate the limited numbers doesn't make it an attractive investment for the custom radiator builders and the uniqueness of the 610mm high performance radiator core doesn't help.

Just incase a factory fit alloy radiator doesn't materialize, I'm still researching the upgrade to a 650mm radiator used in the E34-540, E38-740 & E31-850CSi as an opportunity to have something more common available, however while it is easy to install this 650mm radiator in the E34 using the 540 stock parts the upgrade challenges are:
1) modifying the M5 fan shroud (widen left side of fan shroud to fit 650mm mounting points) or building a custom fan shroud (fairly good offset between the 540 & M5 fans so there are no factory parts that work).

2) fixing the air filter box/intake muffler interference of approximately +20mm. (modify front section of the stock M5 intake muffler to clear the wider radiator) or make new custom filter box (cold air intake).

3) mounting the M5 oil cooler to a wider radiator (stock M5 oil cooler will requires a mid core oil cooler mount, very doable) or using the wider oil cooler from the Euro E32-750iLS (adapting the 17mm fittings on the 750 oil cooler to the 15mm M5 oil cooler line fittings).

4) Select a longer upper radiator hose and relocating the cylinder head coolant bleed line from the upper hose to the radiator-reservoir bleed line (very easy solution).

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update from Zionsville Autosport - Yes

I would be interested in one for both a '93 E-34 M-5 and an '02 E-39 M-5.
I just received a call form Dwight at Zionsville and they found a supplier for the M5 radiator 610mm core and the tanks are the same as the 650mm radiator they already make. This is good news for the E34, M5 community.

I placed my E34, M5 alloy radiator order and anticipate I should have a direct fit alloy radiator in 2-1/2 to 3 weeks.

Once I have hands on I will post images and provide some feedback.

As for the E39, M5 they already produce a direct fit alloy radiator, so all you want to do is place the order online or by phone.
http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/store/screen/ctgy/store_code/6134/category_code/CCS.htm

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought I'd let everyone know saw the first prototype of E34, M5 radiator from Zionsville.
I did not want to post images now because the radiator needs 1 last change and I didn't want an image of the prototype to ever be taken out of context and misrepresenting the final product.

They use an M5 OEM 610mm radiator core directly from the core supplier then custom fabricate the aluminum tanks so it is a direct fit alloy radiator with no compromises.

What is so cool is the upper tank ends that the rubber cushion fits in for the mount brackets are machined from a block of solid aluminum so it is very strong.

I fitted the fan shroud to it and all the mount points are perfect.

I anticipate I should have the final radiator in another week or so and I will post the images of this impressive alloy radiator then.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Zionsville E34-M5 Alloy Radiator - Final

I got the final build radiator yesterday.
This M5 alloy radiator is a direct fit and nothing but quality - no compromises!!
I attached some images that don't do the real thing justice but if you want to hold one I'm sure they will build one for you.
I have seen a few allow radiators that looked good but this one is built with a OEM core, machined solid alloy block for the upper tank mount and the tanks are heavy gage alloy.
Nothing feels flimsy and Zionsville include a lifetime warrantee!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Nice solution

We had a track day today and for the first time the radiator hose didn't pop off thanks to the steel radiator necks ... the fan belt broke instead

1 - 18 of 18 Posts