BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving for about 10 minutes and was getting ready to park in front of my house. I downshift to first and at the very instant I hit the paddle (purely coincidental timing I'm sure), all of my accessories shut off. Radio, Navigation, Air conditioning. Everything. It sounded as though the car had completely shut down. This lasted just long enough for me to utter "What. The. Fu-" and then it all came back on. I slowed to a stop, went to reverse, paralleled in front of the house, gave it about 30 seconds to repeat, which it didn't, and then shut it down. I've had no other occurrences since. The only common component that I can think of here is power supply. I don't have any of the other battery or alternator symptoms though. Anyone else?

·
Premium Member
8,803 Posts
Check if one of your battery terminals is loose. They are sometimes disconnected during major service to the car and may not have been tightened properly.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Check if one of your battery terminals is loose. They are sometimes disconnected during major service to the car and may not have been tightened properly.
If not what kees said then was it just idrive reset? Did ur car jitter or stall? Next time you are in your car hit both eject cd/navigation disks buttons and the volume mute button at the same time. If the reset feels like the same thing that happened to you while driving then your CCC is going out the door (very common problem)

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Considering 4 years later.. I would think the CCC too, if kees isn't right.

Defiantly factor out these two ideas first.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If not what kees said then was it just idrive reset? Did ur car jitter or stall? Next time you are in your car hit both eject cd/navigation disks buttons and the volume mute button at the same time. If the reset feels like the same thing that happened to you while driving then your CCC is going out the door (very common problem)
The car didn't jitter or stall. It got very quiet but I think that was relative to the normal ambient noise level while the A/C and stereo were on. I don't think I lost any revs at all. No noticeable rpm fluctuations when I finally did look at the tach.

So what SHOULD this do if everything is working ok?

I wouldn't think battery terminal would do that even if it were loose because the alternator is powering everything while the car is running. I'll check just to be sure though. I guess that means I also need to check connections at the alternator.

I just remembered that I put the Battery Tender pigtails onto the under-hood terminals (not at the battery) the other day. Everything was tightened down well. I don't see how that could be related. Any input on this?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hitting both eject buttons + mute button resets the iDrive, it wont break anything i'm just wondering if this is what happened to you (in other words for some reason your iDrive reset). So go out for a quick spin and when u are going straight hit all 3 buttons at the same time. If this is what happened that day two things can be happening:

1) your iDrive (CCC) is about to take a dump and will have to be replaced (hopefully u are still in warranty even though this should be a recall for the amount that brake)

2) your phone bluetooth has been reported to be the issue and you can try one of two things. A. clear all paired phones from your car and paired devices from your phone and see if it happens again. B. Go to the dealer for an update and make sure you have an approved phone. Iphones are ok! Usually the bluetooth error is has two symptoms, iDrive resets and SOS malfunction error on the screen.

If you go for a spin and hit the eject buttons + mute and less things powered down then the other day then I would make sure all your connections are good and in the event it happens again go straight to the dealer and get off the battery tender adapter to avoid "could not duplicate" from your service advisor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts