BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After replacing many a suspension bush on the car over the last week or so, i am sending the car into have full 4 wheel alignment done as its ALL over the place now and not inspiring any confidence on the road.

So the question is, What geo settings should i go for?

Car has standard suspension with 19" BBS wheels. Mainly A roads and Motorways.....

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
This has been posted before. Simply a cursory search will reveal. (Might even be a link in the FAQ)

I will warn you that you want front and rear toe set to the minimum side of the BMW spec. So 0.01, 0.02 in on each side.... BMW allows up to 0.08 and you do NOT want that.

A

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I have seached high and low and could not find any conclusive figures, hence the post.

And i was hoping for advice as you have just given me

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I asked this ages ago, but didn't get any response. I assumed the guys on here might have some tips over the standard BMW recommendations, much like ard posted above...

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
Here is one of the more recent posts on this topic, which I found by using the "Search This Forum" feature, near the top right of the page, and typing in "alignment."
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/170659-rear-tire-excess-camber-normal.html

In particular, I would read the last post by DouglasABaker.

feeblefob-
I re-read your Nov'10 post. I'll bet you got no response b/c your question was too general (should someone have noted this to you, a newbie at the time -- definitely yes). The answer would depend on such things as: the stiffness of your chosen tire's sidewall, your goals with respect to tire life, whether you track your car, etc.

·
Company Representative for Valley Motorwerks
763 Posts
Toe out will cause the car to tramline and follow ruts in the road. The trade off is that teh car will initiate a turn more sharply, we do this on our race cars, 1/8th toe out is normal for track cars.

Make sure that the numbers for toe are as close to the median as possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts