BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had a local shop run my alignment (on a Hunter laser guided system) today. Had eibachs/spacers installed two weeks ago.

Can someone who is familiar with suspension setups comment on my before/after below? The alignment guy mentioned he wasn't able to get everything perfectly in spec.

On a separate note, had my tints (50% all around) and RE diablo (thanks HaroldC!) installed today. She looks and sounds nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I just checked...it looks to still be there (you can barely make it out in the pic I snapped below). Should I have them pull it and redo it?

The front camber #s look really off to me.

Attachments

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Your front camber is obviously off, with a huge difference between left and right. Comparing the before and actual numbers it doesn't appear that the shop tried very hard. Also, do you have camber plates? Without camber plates, the maximum negative camber that can reasonably be achieved is about -1.75 degrees.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
I just checked...it looks to still be there (you can barely make it out in the pic I snapped below). Should I have them pull it and redo it?
Yes!
The pin unscrews from above.

Your front camber is obviously off, with a huge difference between left and right. Comparing the before and actual numbers it doesn't appear that the shop tried very hard.
There is no camber adjustment if the pins are installed :eek:oohhh:

Something might be wrong with the spring install. If the camber was high before the spring install, there would be obvious tire wear on the inside of the tread.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your front camber is obviously off, with a huge difference between left and right. Comparing the before and actual numbers it doesn't appear that the shop tried very hard. Also, do you have camber plates? Without camber plates, the maximum negative camber that can reasonably be achieved is about -1.75 degrees.
No camber plates that I know of. I'm not really looking for an aggressive camber setup (don't drive very aggressively), so -1.75 or even less negative is fine for me. But I do want even handling and my tires to wear evenly.

I'll try to go back there this weekend and have them redo after taking out the pins. Hopefully they don't charge me twice. Is it common knowledge to remove the pins for camber adjustment?

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
No camber plates that I know of. I'm not really looking for an aggressive camber setup (don't drive very aggressively), so -1.75 or even less negative is fine for me. But I do want even handling and my tires to wear evenly.
This is more evidence that something is wrong with the spring install, creating the high negative camber.

I'll try to go back there this weekend and have them redo after taking out the pins. Hopefully they don't charge me twice. Is it common knowledge to remove the pins for camber adjustment?
Those pins are used on many current BMW models, so it should be common knowledge :lightbulb:
The pin has an allen head, but is soft metal that easily strips. An easy-out (screw extractor) will remove it.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is more evidence that something is wrong with the spring install, creating the high negative camber.

Those pins are used on many current BMW models, so it should be common knowledge :lightbulb:
The pin has an allen head, but is soft metal that easily strips. An easy-out (screw extractor) will remove it.
shoot, now i'm concerned about my springs. Took my installer 6 hrs to do it and he did say he had a lot of trouble getting the front springs off. But I'm not sure how it is something you can mess up once you get them off.

I got the car used with new tires and had springs installed soon after, so no way to tell tire wear pattern before the install.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I spoke to the alignment tech. He said he pulled the pins, but he wasn't able to move the struts at all so he just put them back. What are your thoughts on that? How much camber adjustment is typically available (without camber plates) once the pin has been removed?

I'm taking the car to another alignment shop next week. Hopefully they have better luck.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
So I spoke to the alignment tech. He said he pulled the pins, but he wasn't able to move the struts at all so he just put them back. What are your thoughts on that? How much camber adjustment is typically available (without camber plates) once the pin has been removed?
I don't have a number, but I guarantee it is more than zero :eek:oohhh:
The tech does not want admit he does not know what he is doing. Take your business elsewhere.

I'm taking the car to another alignment shop next week. Hopefully they have better luck.
Good idea.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I have my paper somewhere for alignment, I'll post it up if I find it, I'm on H&R!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks guys for your help. I'll report back.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, following up on this thread.

Took the car to eurotire in fairfield,nj on the recommendation of some on this board. Great shop, definitely know what they were doing. They basically said the following:
- whoever did the previous alignment didn't know what they were doing
- the front camber was actually even and not too high (they still made it less negative for me)
- the left rear was the big problem for the whole alignment, mainly because something (control arm?) was not hooked up properly (sticking 1/2" out relative to right rear). (I think it was #19 in this picture)

They corrected the loose suspension part and redid the alignment in an hour. Everything feels straight now and specs are below:

Attachments

Reactions: sunnyhamlet
1 - 14 of 14 Posts