BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 263 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys:

I'm so sorry I haven't posted sooner, but I've been plastered with press calls and e-mails - most of them from people who really don't know or understand that much about the Gumball 3000 or the REAL Cannonball Run - yet have been quite busy with some of the hilariously enthusiastic journalists who really are car lovers...

Things are starting to calm down, finally, so if anyone wants to talk about our 31:04 run and/or my M5, this is pretty much the only group in the world who GETS it...you know what I mean.

I'll be posting a series of technical/logistical essays on my blog (http://www.gumball144.com) about how we made the run, and of course the full story is in my book "The Driver", which just came out: http://www.gumball144.com/the-driver/

I couldn't possibly express enough thanks to everyone here who gave me technical advice....many of them who didn't even know it!

Best Regards,
Alex

Reactions: RR129

·
Registered
343 Posts
Alex great to see you posting here! Thanks for taking the time to update some of your biggest fans.

Any details you want to share I think I speak for all of us, we would love to hear any and everything.

Many of us wish we had the _____________(fill in the blank: time, money, resources, ability, balls etc) to be able to do all the things you've done in your M5.

I hope you enjoy every minute of them and I hope there are many more in your future. Keep it up!!!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
...nice trip, glad it went safe.

...caught you on FOX, imho you shouldn't have fell for the danger drive B.S. which looked to have you on the defensive "...I'll have to live with it..." comment etc.

I would have given them a "...we minimized risks as everyone can read on our www. ...com website" & www sticker on the car shots etc...

Regardless on the marketing miscue, a very interesting saga for the M...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Congratulations on the trip. We all loved the clips on youtube. I'm sure many of us here will be buying the book/ documentary to see how that all turned out in Oklahoma.

You are living the life many of us wish we could!

·
4,354 Posts

nice run alex, we all should have known it coming from, the hints you were dropping and from you're affiliation with 32hrs 7mins. in your book i paul from par prosche said your m5 is a grey market car, is it?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Alex.
Great to see you posting here again. Was out on the drive with the NYMC this AM and was hoping to meet you and get a copy of your book;)

BTW, I'm pretty sure that your right: Farah IS arabic for 'gay':haha:

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Alex,

Glad you chimed in! Figured you were pretty busy!

As others have said, you have done something I only dream about (and I've have fantasized about it!) Your exploits have been exhilarating, hilarious and, um, inspiring. :hihi:

I loved the video of you describing the mods on your beast. There are few I suspect you have and didn't describe. One is your license plate. What are you using for cloaking? I have one of those simple flippers that flips the plate down. It works well, but I have to know when to push the button. I also have Show-Me strobes, but I think I could use a little more intense visibility. What did you put behind your front grill? Finally, I had considered a PA system/siren package, but my engine bay is pretty cramped. Where did you mount the loud speaker?

Ok, one more question.. do you get hassled about the lights and other visible hardware, or do you take it off when not racing?

A hearty congratulations... all the acclaim is well deserved. It was well designed and orchestrated achievement. Can't wait to read your book! :biggrin:
:cheers:
Dave

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Great to have you here firsthand Roy! We have read EVERYWHERE about you and I have even heard about you on the Swedish radio :)

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
im just glad to see an enthusiasts doing what he loves !!

and its great to see a fellow E39 M5 lover doing it =)

keep it up, best wishes

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Well its about time you started posting here! We were eager to find you so we can ask u how your run went. We even threatened your friends we would crash your dinner party! (he was sh*ttin in his pants..LOL!) But glad to see u here Alex and congrads on your crazy run! :cheers:
P.S Did u bring us back a souvenir?? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
877 Posts
We finally hear from the man himself! Cant wait to read the book alex... are there gonna be more videos???

·
Registered
730 Posts
NICE WORK!

Becasue of you the E39M5 holds the record!

I will be buying the book

·
Registered
613 Posts
wasn't going to post...figured there was enough hero worship going on... but i just remember those nutty costumes you wore in the rally back in 02 or 03 and the whole "fake cop pull over" thing...priceless. Anyways, great trans-con run, thanks for making an appearance on the ol board and if you're ever in south beach, hit up the local M5 guys here...we'll show you a good time. :haha2:

later

a0

·
Registered
877 Posts
By the way... after noting your average speed which I think was 94.x I couldnt help but start to wonder how difficult it would be to maintain this average on the highway. I drove to Atlanta Sat morning (left at 6 am) and for the Savannah-Macon run (166 miles) I decided to see whether or not I could even come close... I took a pic on my phone that shows 93.8 as I was coming into Macon doing 70 or so - the average had started to fall quickly. I cant even imagine how a higher average could be achieved for that many hours with numerous stops for gas. You guys are nuts!

Oh, and keep in mind it was still dark when I left and there was no traffic on the road!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hey Alex its "Rafferty" from the facebook, (not my real name or data on that profile....long story) anyway, good to see you on the board, saw the interview this am, you know they said speed killls, thats totally wrong, speed doenst kill, its hitting things that does. Do you ever think the Polizei M5 will end up in the BMW museum someday?

·
Registered
877 Posts
And I'm sure this is exactly the kind of stuff you dont want other people trying, but oh well, we're all kids here!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
hey alex,

thanks for the run and putting a lot of us on the seat of our pants. that was all very, very cool! and to ech again, speed doesn't kill, inattentive driving kills, lipstick, kids, blah, blah, blah. enjoy all your kudos, you've earned them all!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Alex,
Congrats on your x-country run. Unreal. With all the press this is getting, you must be a real busy busy man. Glad all went well and safe. On top of all the tech gear on your beast, the support airplane was a great idea. Can't wait to read the book.
-Roberto

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
By the way Alex since your back now I can steal your car because I need your Kelleners exhaust system. :biggrinbounce: Just kidding dude! Glad to have u here on M5board.com to tell us all about your journey!

P.S What will u do with your beast now?

1 - 20 of 263 Posts