BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys --

The midsection and the entire Supersprint Race muffler assembly for my M5 was stolen during the last 24-48 hours. I suspect the thieves stole the entire unit to scrap the catalytic converters. If so, they may not even know what they have. However, if you see any suspicious offers to sell any parts of this unit, especially in the Virginia area, please let me know by PM. I will be surveying the local scrap yards.

To answer the obvious question of how it was stolen: My car has been in an alley behind my friend's house in a safe and quiet neighborhood. We recently removed the Dinan diff (which I swapped with another member on the west coast for his stock diff). The exhaust had to be removed to remove the diff. The car is parked in the alley, covered. Next to it is a 18' aluminum car trailer. While waiting for the stock diff to arrive, the exhaust was completely underneath the trailer, and not visible to someone merely driving by. The criminals dragged it out from underneath the trailer and had to have had a large truck to spirit it away. Just wonderful.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Scumbags.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Hope the sad little creatures get caught.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Unbelievable! I intially thought they managed to steal the exhaust when it was on your car. Even that can not be far off!!

Real sorry to hear what happened to you buddy.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I thought they stole it from off the car too. Had me confused, thanks for the clarification. People suck!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Also, just curious as to why you were swapping out the diff? Was it the whine?

201 Posts
I'll bet you're right - they don't know what they have - merely stole the parts for the bounty they can collect at a scrap yard. The big prize is the rhodium and platinum contained in the catalytic converters. The price per ounce of each of those is at all time highs.

This has been a big trend over the last year or so - takes about a minute to saw the exhaust off a parked car and once stolen is nearly untraceable.

Hope you catch 'em.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Will your thieft insurance cover the loss minus the deductable ?? W0W...sorry too bad...times are tough, for some....

Reactions: drewzMMM

·
Registered
140 Posts
Terrible, but let me se if I got this straight? You left your precious stuff out on the street??? Just sitting on the street??? I dont get it.:confused2:confused2hmmm

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I suspect the thieves stole the entire unit to scrap the catalytic converters.
The catalytic converter was stolen from a friend's SUV, while parked in his driveway. This crime is on the rise ouich

Thieves are able to sell to recyclers, without much risk. A similar crime is the theft of copper wiring.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, just curious as to why you were swapping out the diff? Was it the whine?
No, mine performed flawlessly. Since I retired the M5 from track duty, I was able to get a fair price for it and use the funds for additional work on the M3 track car. Now, this may turn out to be a net loss.

Reactions: bodaddy

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ouch! I was scratching my head at first, I thought they stole it while in was installed! I'm sure some kids stole it because it was off a M5 and they assumed it was valuable. I've got a RARE Knock-Off Eisenimann exhaust I can sell you... :3:

·
Registered
503 Posts
sorry to hear of your loss. that just stinks!!!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
WoW,

I guess it is lucky they only took the exhaust and left your car alone, but what a bummer...

Hope you get it sorted soon.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
May a billion parasite's attack their thieving crotches. I hate thieves!
Thank all of you, and may your camels spit nothing but dates.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Roman,
Man this blows!!!grrrrrrr Then again, you do live in Richmond! LOL!:rolleyes:

How's the M3??? The FCA has a VIR date in March on a Monday, I am still thinking.

Hope to see you around! I will be on the lookout up here in NoVa.

Robert cherrsagai

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
mrichmond very sorry to hear this crapp !!

why can't these junkies go out and get a job like the rest of us !!

bastards !! grrrrrrr

1 - 20 of 28 Posts