BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting the idea from a member selling his beast in the For Sale forum, it sounded like a next step, so here it is.
The wheel is from the 330i PP (pn 32 34 7 919 218)
The swap of the wheel and boots took no time at all.
Disconnect battery, push airbag release springs(2), loosen 16mm bolt, remove 2 clips inside wheel, remove wheel.....reinstall. Just that easy.
And the boots ,well r&r.
The boots are from Leatherz www.leatherz.com
Very good stuff I must say.

And by the way HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
That looks great mmmmmm Same thickness? How's it feel....better than leather?? more grip??
How much for the wheel??

·
10,455 Posts
I love that wheel! What year is your car, will this work on a 2000 with the older style wheel? I had thought about doing this, but my friend at the dealer parts dept said the alcantara 'balls up' and wears out quickly, and they'd replaced a ton of them under warranty on 330pp cars, some with std leather wheels, after the second alcantara wheel. Let us know how it wears!
Mike

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I like the wheel, but I dont really care for the shift and ebrake boot. Alcantara on the wheel does get messy as Mike said, so let us know how it wears. A good pair of driving gloves would probably lessen the balling and discoloring.
:cheers:

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have always liked that wheel too! Nice job . . .

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
With that color interior, I think it looks very good, especially the way the boots match up. How many horsepower is it good for? :hihihi:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Boostmeister, same thickness, it feels SOOOO nice, kinda grippy.
I think the wheel was mid 300ish, I'll have to find my reciept,I work at and around the car dealers so I get employee price. I'll look!

Mpresiv, I think the boots were 165., if you haven't looked at the site check it out, you can even custom select colors. Look at the e46 and z4 links there are some colors there.

Motatti, mine is a 2001, as for the swap you most likely can the only thing I don't know is if the slip ring is the same, if it isn't is no problem you can get the slip ring too ,if I recall they aren't to much. But again you might not even need that. Have your friend in the parts dept. look and see if the slip rings are the same from 00 to 01 if so it's just a easy wheel swap.
As for the wear, I've heard that aswell, but hey I thought I'd try it anyway.
And I don't drive my car to much lately so I wasn't terribly concerned, but I will report on any wear.

amfung, no tri stiching that I know of, but it does have the M logo on the bottom just like our stock wheel.

Jerry, shoot I think it's good for at least 5 'cosmetic' hp.,you think? hiha hiha
Too bad no butt-o-meter hp's though.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Keith97M3turbo said:

no tri stiching that I know of, but it does have the M logo on the bottom just like our stock wheel.

Jerry, shoot I think it's good for at least 5 'cosmetic' hp.,you think? hiha hiha
Too bad no butt-o-meter hp's though.
You know, if tri stitching was important, I would think any company that refinshes steering wheels could restitch for you. Someone has to do it for BMW M cars. Not sure if it is worth the $$$, but it might very well be do-able. Might see who the dealer uses if they have to restitch a wheel. There is a place in south Florida, I think it is called AGLA.
Regards,
Jerry

B

·
0 Posts
FWIW, the 330 ZHP alcantara covered steering wheel is NOT the same thickness as the M5/M3 leather wheel. It is slightly smaller in diameter.

Also, it is not available with motorsport colored stitching, as previously asked. It is available on the E46 M3 CSL steering wheel, with is blocked from US dealer parts. Granted the CSL wheel does not have the same steering wheel controls, the stock ones can be swapped onto the wheel. Also the CSL wheel is the same OD as the leather counterpart.

Not a cheap item, for something that will still "pill" like a fuzzy sweater with use.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
That is LOVELY! That would be one of my no 1 proorities, the grip is soo much better. Too bad it is not hte same thickness :(

·
Registered
132 Posts
Not to rain on anyone's parade but I'm not sure I'm digging it. While initially the grip/look might be good how well will it wear? Worn anything can look shaggy. JMHO. Regards, Nick

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ben, good info, I thought it felt just a touch smaller.
I just went out to mic it just to see, here's my wheel sizes
stock leather 30mm x 39mm
the 330 wheel 29mm x 37mm , so at first I wasn't crazy, but after 2 days of driveing you'd never know what it was before since it is so minimal.
As for cheap ,nothing seems to be cheap for our BMW's, performance or cosmetic.
We'll see how it wears in the mean time...
As for the wear, I can't imagine it just falling apart from the start .
This just hit me :eek:h: , if it does wear like a wearable item it could be like replaceing our rear tires scenario and they aren't cheap either,
well I thought that was kinda funny how that reasoning or analogy just came to me while typing.hahahah.

Remember , this wasn't my idea cool or not, I got it from another member selling his car here. My props to him.

Those with 2000's that have asked(pm&email&here) if I'll sell the stock wheel
probably so, normaly in a heartbeat. But those that have stated how it wears make it sound like a serious plague.Give me a couple of weeks to think about it. Most likely since I don't drive the car that much anyway and I REALLY like it I'll just put another 330 wheel on if that's the case. And if that does happen I could look into finding a company to do alcantara recovering and do swaps.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Regarding the M3 CSL steering wheel, I read somewhere that you need to have a M3 CSL VIN before you can order CSL-specific parts, like the CF roof or the boot lip.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
amfung, I'm sure you probably do, I recall the 95' LTW's were the same way.
They had some performance pack you could get if you were the first owner of the LTW.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts