BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on re-glueing my alcantara headliner fabric this weekend.
In case that fails do we have a good source for the fabric in the U.S.?

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
9002 is what you want... not cheap, and you might be able to do better but this is one source

Not affiliated

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
9002 is what you want... not cheap, and you might be able to do better but this is one source

Not affiliated

Incorrect. For headliners, you need foam-backed fabric, so this won't do.
Real Alcantara is not cheap, but it is way better than most imitations. Relicate sells real deal:

·
Registered
25 Posts
So if one were to order the foam backed from this supplier, what is the correct color? Anthracite or black?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
301 Posts
Incorrect. For headliners, you need foam-backed fabric, so this won't do.
Real Alcantara is not cheap, but it is way better than most imitations. Relicate sells real deal:

I had them send me a sample of their alcantara last year for when I recover my rear parcel shelf. Very high quality and match was spot on.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
So if one were to order the foam backed from this supplier, what is the correct color? Anthracite or black?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anthracite

I had them send me a sample of their alcantara last year for when I recover my rear parcel shelf. Very high quality and match was spot on.

Did you get 9040?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well luckily re-glueing the alcantara worked out.

I didn’t know what to expect however the headliner alcantara is very strong material.

I will post a few photos.

thanks for the information!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Got 9002. Looks better in person.
View attachment 950469 View attachment 950470

Oh, I know what 9002 look like - it does not have foam backing, and it is not exact match texture-wise. Headliners HAVE to have foam, otherwise they won't stay glued on - especially in hot Texas summer. And you run the risk of glue soaking into it when gluing it down.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Oh, I know what 9002 look like - it does not have foam backing, and it is not exact match texture-wise. Headliners HAVE to have foam, otherwise they won't stay glued on - especially in hot Texas summer. And you run the risk of glue soaking into it when gluing it down.
Rear parcel shelf doesn't use foam backed material. It does match my car though weridly. I do think it might have all been redone at one point by a previous owner. One of those projects that'll be awhile before I get to.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Rear parcel shelf doesn't use foam backed material. It does match my car though weridly. I do think it might have all been redone at one point by a previous owner. One of those projects that'll be awhile before I get to.

Ah, that might be the case, actually. I ordered both, and texture is not the same as my factory headliner.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So without foam the alcantara won’t stick with headliner glue?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fortunately I didn’t reinstall the headliner yet and unfortunately I see what you mean about the headliner not sticking without foam.

The alcantara easily peals off the headliner and the glue stick to the headliner not the alcantara.

Any thoughts on how to re-use the original alcantara now that it is missing its foam?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Fortunately I didn’t reinstall the headliner yet and unfortunately I see what you mean about the headliner not sticking without foam.

The alcantara easily peals off the headliner and the glue stick to the headliner not the alcantara.

Any thoughts on how to re-use the original alcantara now that it is missing its foam?
You can't. Once the foam is gone, you pretty much need new fabric.

Reactions: stevelyons

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I made a few calls to my network of automotive friends. My goal is to keep the original material while ensuring it will adhere to the headliner.

I have a plan to try based on conversations yesterday and will post back with the results.

My secondary goal is to come in far cheaper than buying aftermarket material.

Thanks for all the feedback and hopefully my plan works out!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I called 3M and they recommended using their super trim adhesive vs their 3M headliner glue. I used both with new headliner material (non-alcantara).

I glued on the new headliner and plan on gluing the alcantara on top of this new material.The stuff I bought was mostly foam and I was able to perfectly glue It on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I peeled off the headliner material from the foam and then used 3M super trim adhesive and the alcantara is now well bonded to the foam and the foam to the headliner fiberglass!

So far I have $60 into the job. If you are planning on re-using your original Alcantara adding foam appears to be required for multiple reasons.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts