BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know if the 4-seater option (with bread bin rear seats) was ever offered/available with alcantara/suede/amaretta?

I quite like my champagne leather, but after being in Faz's car at the weekend, I really miss my cloth/amaretta combo for grip, moisture absorption (i.e. no sticky back & legs in hot weather) and how more 'bucket-like' the seat feels compared to leather.

If this was available, does anyone want to swap interiors for a very good champagne full leather interior (has to be the bread bin option of course and in a similar condition (colour not important, but black is my preference).

It's in too good a condition to strip it and retrim it (although I suppose I could just get a couple of driver's seat squabs/panels done) - and I'd never get the right cloth anyway. Failing that, I suppose I could get a Recaro seat from an S8 in beige - or one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160236155085

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Tony,

I have the same interior as you, and while I agree that yes leather = betty swollocks, i have not found issue with the support the seat offers. I know snr had new bolsters fitted to his worn seats, maybe if yours are badly worn, that would be a better starting point?

Steve

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the whole interior done just after I bought it last year. Soggy bolsters were replaced, tears were retrimmed and the whole thing was taken back to base leather and cleaned, retreated, coloured, etc.

The seats are nice and firm, it's just that you don't 'stick' to the seats like you do with the suede/alcantara/amaretta bolsters.

IMO it seems that with the leather seats you sit a bit higher and thus you don't get as much support from the bolsters, maybe the cloth inserts in the middle panels let you sink in a bit more.

I've tried a few different cars with full leather, half-leather and suede/m-cloth - and the suede is the best, followed by the half-leather and the full leather comes a distant third.

·
Registered
907 Posts
4-seater option together with Amaretta interior = yes, but there were only two of them made in RHD. Both cars were 1992s in Avus blue with black (antracite) interior.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4-seater option together with Amaretta interior = yes, but there were only two of them made in RHD. Both cars were 1992s in Avus blue with black (antracite) interior.
Just got to find one of them who's willing to swap - although I think I've found somewhere that will do a complete single seat retrim for about £250 in an colour alcantara I want (maybe champagne with bolsters a couple of shades darker)!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Just got to find one of them who's willing to swap - although I think I've found somewhere that will do a complete single seat retrim for about £250 in an colour alcantara I want (maybe champagne with bolsters a couple of shades darker)!
why not do the front centres in alcantara similar colour or try to get a 2nd hand interior and sell yours. think the breadbin will be a hard find.

just my 2p

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
why not do the front centres in alcantara similar colour or try to get a 2nd hand interior and sell yours. think the breadbin will be a hard find.

just my 2p
The problem is me not wanting to spend a lot of money :hihi: hence the swap option.

If I sell mine and buy another, I've still potentially got to retrim it at a cost of about £750.

However, if I can just get a spare non-electric M5 seat in whatever colour, then I don't mind retrimming that, as I'll know I've got the original under lock & key for future use.

Had no luck finding a drivers's seat only, and even less luck finding a manual one. I may just end up getting a Corbeau or cheap Recaro Speed and retrimming that instead - but probably not as comfy on longer distances.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Def not old bean. We need the shape of a 17 yr cheerleader to be comfortable in those chairs:eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts