BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a drive in the beast today to see a friend of mine and show him the b11.He know alot about Bms
And all he said was get rid asap,he said if he had the car he would not even take it shopping.He thinks its a prime candidate for car thieves and it will be stolen and on a boat before i can even scratch my arse.And i have had a few BMs stolen, a couple in good old South africa [I was born N Ireland ] but spent a good many years out there.The last car that i had stolen was about 6 weeks ago a 91 Calpso red shadowline 735ise the bastards took it out of the garage while i was at work and nobody at home.Did they think it was a alpina,because it had the wheels and the steering wheel looked the part.I just dont want the same thing to happen to the b11 you can buy the autotrader and i bet you wont find one for sale any alpina at that.So what can i do to protect my pride and joy its looked up in the garage It has a toad ai606 alarm thatcham category 1 issue 2.It only gets used at the weekend ,only if the weathers good as i have a works van and a e30 320i.My mate suggested that i get a cut off switch fitted any suggestions.
Why would people want to steal old bmws, when parked all over the place are more expensive cars not that the bastards should be stealing anybody car for that matter what do they know about alpinas it only means something to the right people.I just dont want it to end up like the calpso red one which now will be going to the scrap yard in the sky its a shame.:confused2

·
Registered
118 Posts
A few ideas: wheel clamps,steering and gear locks and perhaps even a security post.link You could also consider to put an alarm in the garage. And ofcourse strengthened doors and locks,deadbolts etc. Perhaps a light with motion sensor. Did you know that your car already has a sort of dead switch?It´s through the OBC, you punch in a code and the car goes dead. Ofcourse this can be defeated by disconnecting the battery,but this takes 20 minutes because the battery has to be disconnected for 5 minutes and then the OBC will do a 15 minute countdown before the engine can be started. This is also a very usefull feature even when using the car. Simply punch in the code even if you leave the car just for a while, just as you also activate the alarm. And last, there´s a defintive solution to your problem. Move to a more "safe" location.

Niclas

·
Registered
477 Posts
RhinoB11 said:
How do i go about finding the code for the obc??????? ,sounds like a good idea.
There is no predefine code. You punch in any 4 digit code when you leave and you retype it when you get back.

Cheers, Alex

N.B. this is assuming you have the big OBC.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will have a play with it at the weekend thanks, i think all sevens came with obc as standard.Hey you are based in germany what does it say about the b11 on german ebay,wish i could make head or tail might have to do a basic course in german but i have been told very hard to learn with all the der die :p and das.lol

·
Registered
118 Posts
To activate immobiliser: Ignition key in position 1, press CODE on OBC, input 4 digit code using 1000 100 10 1 keys, press S/R. And remember not to open hood or trunk lid when activated unless you like listening to the signal horn :haha2:

About german ebay, a fair warning. Anything even remotely related to ALPINA usually is very sought after. Bids can skyrocket.

Niclas

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks alot,the b11 3.5 on german ebay is not doing so well at the moment but like you say there is still time.Is Alpina very big in germany i mean sought after,even the e32 alpinas.:p

·
Registered
118 Posts
Oh, sorry I misunderstood you about the ebay, I thought you meant ALPINA in general. About the B11, yes I agree it´s not doing so well there, or for that matter, in general at all. :crying2: It´s in too bad shape& missing many vital parts to be interesting for an enthusiast, and for a scavenger it´s missing many valuable parts :rolleyes: Basically the seller says that the car has rust (no kidding) the fuel gauge is faulty and he cannot give any guarantee on the matter of the odometer reading or possible accident damages. And therefor sells it as an "amateur mechanic object".

Niclas

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
put a pager on it clifford do a good one shows you whats happening with the car at all times if you need details mail me it will cost you less than 300 smackers fitted.

·
Registered
164 Posts
RhinoB11

I always use the OBC option on my E39 B10, in fact it is set now while in my garage. It gives extra peace of mind.
I also did this whenever I left my E34 anywhere, it literally takes seconds to do and becomes a habit in no time.

Jim

·
Registered
164 Posts
m5killer

Less than £300 for a Clifford pager system sounds like a good idea, knowing your car isn't being tampered with can offer good peace of mind.
Does this help with your insurance and how does it work? Via a mobile connection to page you or is it a local transmitter with a limited range?

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
there are a few different ones around at the moment but most are local range up to 1 mile depending on buildings they have got a system with phone alert as well

1 - 12 of 12 Posts