BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the 2008 E60 M5 already has an alarm system built in? On the E46 M3, it was a dealer option and I wonder if it's the same way?

Has anyone looked into a Tracking Device if their M5 was ever stolen?

Darren

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The alarm is standard from the factory, unlike the e46 M3. I'm not sure if BMW will use their 'BMW Assist' system to track your car for you should it be stolen. It is not often that an M5 is stolen. There was one attempted, gunpoint robbery that I know of, which is on the board (do a search if you're interested in reading more about it).

You can always get Lojack if you're really paranoid about your car being stolen.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I definitely do not want any tracking system. In the event that my car is stolen, I do not want it back. Car thieves can do a great amount of damage in a little amount of time. Just cut me my check and I will buy a new one.

·
4,353 Posts

Does the 2008 E60 M5 already has an alarm system built in? On the E46 M3, it was a dealer option and I wonder if it's the same way?

Darren

i always assumed they could find the car via the GPS

·
Registered
120 Posts
BMW Assist in 2008 models (not sure about earlier, I don't think this was possible in my 2006 M5) can track the car via GPS.

In order for them to locate it you need a police report number handy when calling BMW Assist. If you have that then they can go ahead and locate it and notify the police of the location.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I definitely do not want any tracking system. In the event that my car is stolen, I do not want it back. Car thieves can do a great amount of damage in a little amount of time. Just cut me my check and I will buy a new one.
+1, although I do have LoJack. Wasn't thinking when I got it.

I believe for BMW Assist to track your car the car must be on.
LoJack is a separate device that is always on. There are a lot
of gps tracking options available.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all your responses. That's cool that the alarm system comes standard. I agree with that if my car gets stolen, I'll probably wont want it back and just get a new M5.

Regards,

·
Registered
650 Posts

Darren
My car has a tracking device, fitted by the tracking company for the dealer after it arrived. Neither the dealer nor I know exactly where it is....

It made a significant difference to getting insurance companies to quote competitively.
The M5 is in the highest insurance risk category, and some firms were not prepared to quote at all for comprehensive insurance on this model, if it was not fitted with an approved and working device. :grrrrr:

·
Registered
650 Posts
That's cool that the alarm system comes standard.
It's much more than just an alarm, no one takes any notice of them anyway. It is a very good immobiliser too.
And if your car comes with SMG box and you leave it parked in reverse as recommended, then I think any thief may have to actually lift the car to remove it.
Getting the electro-hydraulics to pump up and shift the transmission into neutral will be tricky and probably not worth the bother unless the car is being stolen to order.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts