BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey does any one have any info on the sound of the Akrapovic Evolution for the M6 I'm looking to buy one and maybe get it with some new headers for my car but I'm not convinced by any of the videos I've found on youtube and was wondering if anyone had some good clips and new of a great set of headers that would fit perfect with the full Akrapovic setup. Also i keep running into pictures of the full set up and keep noticing that some of the pictures seem to not have what i think are resonators (the 4 cylinders near the x pipe) but others don't have them. Is that a resonator delete option or a mistake because i can't get any information and heard on the forums about trying to get full Akra exhaust with out resonators. Sellers PM Me please.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Akrapovic evolution exhaust for M6 consist of a header back system. I can say their exhaust tone is quite similar to stock exhaust except it is louder and has that trademark titanium howl. There is not a slightest drone in the cabin, i can say it is one of the softer sounding exhaust in the market. Performance increase from the exhaust is quite noticeable, you can feel more torque from the lower rpm. The evolution has a pair of resonators and is running a straight through design from the headers.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Hey does any one have any info on the sound of the Akrapovic Evolution for the M6 I'm looking to buy one and maybe get it with some new headers for my car but I'm not convinced by any of the videos I've found on youtube and was wondering if anyone had some good clips and new of a great set of headers that would fit perfect with the full Akrapovic setup. Also i keep running into pictures of the full set up and keep noticing that some of the pictures seem to not have what i think are resonators (the 4 cylinders near the x pipe) but others don't have them. Is that a resonator delete option or a mistake because i can't get any information and heard on the forums about trying to get full Akra exhaust with out resonators. Sellers PM Me please.
The Akra Evo is the best exhaust system out there when it comes to perfromance gains. If I had the money, I would have bought this system over anything else out there. Many people will tell that there are other exhausts that make more power, I really doubt that there would be any significant difference. Still, this exhaust is super light weight. No other exhaust in the market can best that. It is not the OEM exhaust on the Alpina B6 for no reason.

Sound wise, it does not make the most exotic sound.

So, its your decision on what you are looking for. I suggest you contact the manufacturer directly for any questions that you have.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks guys but any of you know what would be the best pair of headers to match the akrapovic exhaust I'm looking for something that would compliment them together. I would have loved it if akra made headers for the car they would be amazing but its a shame. I know that supersprint is prob the best headers out there for the m5/m6's but I'm not sure if thats the best route since theres not many people out there even with the akrapovic exhaust system

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
You are absolutely correct. SuperSprint are the best headers in terms of power gains.

However, you can make good gains by de cating the OEM headers or replacing them with racing cats. Both Evolve and RPI offer such headers. Do you have to do the SMOG test. If yes, then you have to get the covertible headers from Evolve or RPI.

Personally, I would not put the SuperSprint headers with the Akra exhaust.

I believe you need to do a bit of research before you make the decision. I suggest you contact Evolve, RPI and SuperSprint and see what they have to suggest. But keep in mind, their opinions and suggestions will be biased by their desire to get your business.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya of course what ever they got to do to sell there products. I would love to de cat them but yes smog is going to be an issue. But I'm trying to look around and research I've been on it for about a month now i've been deciding through a bunch of different systems and akra seems to be the closest to a subtle look but still with all the gains of aftermarket and i haven't any headers that have that same type of style that the akra has compared to all those other brands. Its never this easy though to find exactly the perfect thing your looking for.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
I would suggest that you get the covertible headers from Evolve or RPI. These will be OEM headers on which you will have the facility to swap between cats and straight pipes. I think thats the best option for you.

If you are looking for titanium headers, I really doubt that you will find them. Also, I am not sure how well titanium will be able to contain the vibrations.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
actually hearing you talk about vibrations are the akra exhaust in your opinion raspier i mean people say they kinda sound like a motorcycle but its just so difficult to tell.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
I have never herd the Akra in person and Youtube can never do justice to the sound of any exhaust.

Still, I believe that the Akra exhaust will be a little raspier but that depends on what you are comparing it with. If you compare it with Tubi or Eisenmann, a little raspy perhaps. Compared to others, not so much.

This is why I suggested that you keep the OEM headers and get them de cated.

Again, I sincerely feel that much more re search is due before you make a decision.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hallo, getting my new M6 tomorrow and I would like to know 2 things please:
1) Power gain of akropovic sytem (exhaust only)
2) People talk of headers on m6 (are you talking about old or new m^) headers vs turbo doesnt make sence?

PS : akropovic has to be the best since it is BMW approved? What about downpipes?

Thx

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure what your asking about when your saying turbos. But if your asking about the f13 exhaust there totally different then the 2006-2010 E63's. either way all the information is listed on their website. Congrats and goodluck.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Thanks for the link.

What I am talking bout (new m6) is why do people say do the headers. Does doing the headers on a turbo car make a real difference?
You should know that the turbo setup BMW uses on the F12/F12 M6 (and F10 M5) has a patented, and highly engineered, tuned length exhaust system in the "V" of the engine block. These 4 ports (one cylinder from each banks feeds a single turbo inlet port) feed into a pair to dual scroll turbochargers, also in the "V". So, in effect these are the headers and what is downstream from the turbo exhaust ports is really the start of "the exhaust system" (catalytic converters, piping, mufflers, etc.) So, unlike a N/A engine, these is not much of a "header" issue to address with an aftermarket exhaust. Very doubtful that anyone outside of a racing team would even consider replacing the stock multiple level exhaust manifold in the "V" that feeds the turbos.

Having said that, I'm sure that emerging after-market exhaust systems will offer lower weight and more sound. I believe member "Noushy" is getting an Aakrapovic exhaust system on his new F12 M6. Don't think it is installed yet. Refer to this thread: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/f12-bmw-m6-coupe-bmw-m6-convertible-m6board-com/212901-finally-came-feels-good-back.html

BTW - turbocharging the S85 V-10 engine never seemed viable although there are a couple of supercharger setups (G-Power and ESS).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts