BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since we are one of the original distributors for Akrapovic, I thought I'd give you guys an overview. Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

The Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust System for BMW e63/e64 M6

Engineers developed a complete aftermarket exhaust system for the M6. The connection tubes of the Evolution System, i.e. the complete ex manifold system, are newly designed in order to optimize the exhaust flow by offering a bigger tube diameter, interference crossover tubes to improve the vibration characteristics of the exhaust, and the discard of the second set of catalysts. The end mufflers are now split. This technique reduces the weight by 58.2lb.

The deconvolution of sound played a key role in the development of the exhaust system. We were able to change the sound characteristics of the high speed concept engine, based on the V-10-cylinder F1 motor, so that the advantages of the race 'genes' manifest considerably without appearing invasive in daily use.

The stock torque curve of the M6 V-10-cylinder has a dent in the area of 5.000 rpm. Akrapovič exhaust has the cure as the maximum torque increase of 12.3 ft/lb (at 5.970 rpm) is exactly within that area. The increase of power by 14.4 HP nearly homogeneously tunes in at around 4.000 rpm. This can be felt considerably and the 3,800lb heavy vehicle appears more dynamic.

Evolution complete system:

* titanium crossover tubes
* titanium end mufflers
* 4 titanium tail pipes

Hard facts:

* plus 14.4 HP (at 6.360 rpm)
* plus 12.3 ft/lb (at 5.970 rpm)
* minus 58.2 lb

The Akrapovic Slip-On Exhaust System for BMW e63/e64 M6

Slip-On system, homologated:

* titanium end mufflers
* 4 titanium tail pipes

Hard facts:

* plus 4 HP (at 7.200 rpm)
* plus 3 ft/lb (at 7.210 rpm)
* minus 29.3 lb

·
Registered
598 Posts
Hey Peter, love the exhaust just wondering is it possible to order the carbon tips separately if I already have the exhaust?

·
Registered
598 Posts
FINALLY PICS of what it looks like on the alpine white I've had this system sitting under my bed waiting to be installed since December I can't wait to get back home and have them installed. Do you have any sound clips everything on YouTube is so hard to judge there's not 1 decent video. I could def vouch for these being the highest quality and extremely light though.

114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Peter!

I have always been a fan of Akrapovic. All of my friends have it on their bikes.

However, I always thought that going bigger diameter on a naturally aspirated car is a big "NO NO". I was always led to believe that this would actually reduce exhaust velocity. Can you please explain more on this.

Thanks and Regards
Hasan
Hassan,

The OEM exhaust has a number of bottlenecks consisting of crash bends and high cell count catalytic converters. Those bottlenecks block the exhaust gas flow on your M6 quite a bit. With the use of high-flow catalytic converters and the optimization of the piping size and curvature they can get away with running larger diameter piping. This is not one of the companies which slaps the exhaust together to sell you on the pretty sound. They do copious amount of R&D to provide you with lowest weight, high HP gain and the lack of drone. Generally, whatever you have mentioned in your post is correct.

hi, i have a question.

how much would it cost? would you consider one of my kidneys as payment? (also a part of my weight reduction plan... lol)
I have a jar of kidneys over here from the previous customers' purchases :D

Hey Peter, love the exhaust just wondering is it possible to order the carbon tips separately if I already have the exhaust?
The only tips which could possibly fit on the M6 exhaust is from the M3 setup; however, the piping size is different on the M6 exhaust. The titanium tips is your only option.

This is an informational thread without any pricing or special offers. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
429 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Thanks Peter are the m3 tips the same one that akra offers for the m6 because when I looked at a few other places they had an option to add the cf tips for I think it was an extra $250. Thanks again also I was wondering if you ever received my pm is it easier to reach you by email with any questions or is m5board's pm ok?

114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From what Akrapovic USA is telling me, the tips will not fit because M6 piping is larger. Personally, we have never tried to fit them on; however, it would make absolute sense why the tips would not fit. On the exhausts with larger piping, the pipe diameter should be uniform throughout. If the pipe gets narrower near at the tips, it creates a bottleneck. Since the M3 has smaller displacement engine then the M6, the piping on the tip exits would be smaller diameter then on the M6. Interestingly enough, the tip design can also be a bottleneck. We have found that on the Porsche vehicles, you can't just use any tip on an aftermarket exhaust as the tip itself would affect the exhaust flow.

114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Never tried that. Since the exhaust is titanium, you cant just weld it with your conventional welding techniques. If it fits, it fits, if not then its not worth the $ to weld it to fit.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The only tips which could possibly fit on the M6 exhaust is from the M3 setup; however, the piping size is different on the M6 exhaust. The titanium tips is your only option.
How is this possible then?

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/m6-e63-group-buy-sponsor-discussion-offerings/161766-wheelsto-akrapvoic-exhaust-system-m6-special.html#post1875961

1 - 18 of 18 Posts