BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got around to installing the air intake temperature sensor relocation kit. Pretty straight forward, just one minor foible (my own fault).

After the install, the car wouldn't crank. No warning lights or fault codes, just the temperature gauge zooming all the way to the right. So I rechecked the connections in the DME and one of the connectors wasn't locked and secure. (I must've gotta a little hurried at the end of the install.)

After re-securing the connections, it cranked just fine. But an error code showed up on the dash on the first crank: "ENGINE FAILSAFE PROG." The error only showed up that first time and I haven't had any more problems. Must've happened because I tried to crank without all the connections in the DME secure. (Ya think?)

So my question: Is this going to show up the next time my dealer checks the On Board Diagnostics? Should I plead ignorance?

Rayman
2003 M5

·
Registered
92 Posts
Rayman said:
Just got around to installing the air intake temperature sensor relocation kit. Pretty straight forward, just one minor foible (my own fault).

After the install, the car wouldn't crank. No warning lights or fault codes, just the temperature gauge zooming all the way to the right. So I rechecked the connections in the DME and one of the connectors wasn't locked and secure. (I must've gotta a little hurried at the end of the install.)

After re-securing the connections, it cranked just fine. But an error code showed up on the dash on the first crank: "ENGINE FAILSAFE PROG." The error only showed up that first time and I haven't had any more problems. Must've happened because I tried to crank without all the connections in the DME secure. (Ya think?)

So my question: Is this going to show up the next time my dealer checks the On Board Diagnostics? Should I plead ignorance?

Rayman
2003 M5
I have a better idea..

Just go to another dealer NOW tell him your car made some turn outs and ask if he delete all failures of your computer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Rayman said:
Hhmmmm . . .

Good idea. Thanks.

Rayman 2003 M5
I did that with my old M3.
I had installed a sports stearing wheel but there was no airbag in that.

So when I sold the car I went to a dealer and aksed hi to delete all failures and errors the computer found and bing nothing more to see ouich

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
If you get a Peake diagnostic tool you can read the codes and delete them yourself.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I hope I am wrong, but you might continue to get this "Engine Failsafe Prog." message during every COLD START!

I get it, and I have had to live with it!

It might even happen to you while you drive, usually when you floor it slowly through the RPM's! You wont be able to rev the car up when it happens!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't seen it again on multiple starts.

I wonder why you would get this message just from installing a new temperature sensor? I assumed my error message was from not having the connections in the DME secure.

Rayman
2003 M5

1 - 7 of 7 Posts