BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cars Aircon has never worked. The previous owner had the gas refilled and it worked for a while and then went dead again.

Condenser? (Thats I assume is the radiator infront of the coolant rad).

The buttons all light up on the dash console.

Any idea how much a new condensor is?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Cyrus said:
My cars Aircon has never worked. The previous owner had the gas refilled and it worked for a while and then went dead again.

Hi if it worked for a while after refilling, could it not just be a leak in the system letting out the gas have you had the system pressure tested?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no idea how aircon works but what you say sounds like a good idea.

I shall visit the aircon man next week.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Cyrus said:

Hi Cyrus
Unlikely to be a faulty condensor unless blocked.
More likely that the system has leaked via one of the many O rings.
The most likely leak path is the HP LINE out of the compressor or the pipes to & from the condensor. The O rings rely on the lubrication of the oil that the compressor is filled with prior to or during the gassing of the system.

They become hard & fail to expand & there goes your seal. Its just a case of using the system once a week to keep everything moist & lubricated.

Find a GOOD aircon guy, not one that just purges & refills, you will get sorted.

Good luck mate.

Regards
Farrell

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Farrell,

would be ncie if someone recommended a person in the East London/Essex area.

I'd love to have my AC working!

·
Registered
911 Posts
sorry to butt in but i also have troubles! my heating/aircon only blows hot air.When i turn the heat up the motor sounds as if it slows down and doesnt blow as hard

Any ideas from anybody? before i melt!:confused2 :confused2

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Geach said:
sorry to butt in but i also have troubles! my heating/aircon only blows hot air.When i turn the heat up the motor sounds as if it slows down and doesnt blow as hard

Any ideas from anybody? before i melt!:confused2 :confused2
Hi

I am not sure I totally understand what you are saying.

Do you mean when you turn up the fan speed the fan sounds slower or when you increase the heat setting that the fan sounds slower?

The fact that the systems only blows hot could be a failure in the logic board that controls the ventilation system although I am no expert.

The most common problem with poor flow through the ventilation system is the microfilter not being changed which clogs and restricts the flow of air the interior of the car.

·
Registered
911 Posts
the fan sounds slower when the heat setting is turned up. I have replaced the microfilter which looked reasonably ok. the only things left are the control board and the hot water on/off solenoid thing on the bulkhead (N/s engine bay).
the thing is how do i determine which one? would the slowing of the blower motor when the heat is turned up indicate the control panel or is there a more definate way of telling.(without taking someone elses car apart to try their bits)
:confused2 :confused2

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Geach said:
the fan sounds slower when the heat setting is turned up. I have replaced the microfilter which looked reasonably ok. the only things left are the control board and the hot water on/off solenoid thing on the bulkhead (N/s engine bay).
the thing is how do i determine which one? would the slowing of the blower motor when the heat is turned up indicate the control panel or is there a more definate way of telling.(without taking someone elses car apart to try their bits)
:confused2 :confused2
Hi Geach

Unfortunatly this goes beyond my knowledge but I am sure another member of the board maybe able to shed some light.

Simon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts