BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to replace the steering wheel in my US 3.6 91 from the 4 spoke to a three spoke. Apparently the airbag on the three spoke has 5 cable connector as opposed to the 2 cable connector in the original wheel.

Anybody know whether these wheels can be interchanged and what cables should be connected where?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Haim Toeg said:
I am trying to replace the steering wheel in my US 3.6 91 from the 4 spoke to a three spoke. Apparently the airbag on the three spoke has 5 cable connector as opposed to the 2 cable connector in the original wheel.

Anybody know whether these wheels can be interchanged and what cables should be connected where?
If you are trying to install the Z3 3 spoke wheel, the 5 wires are for the 2 stages of the airbag and the horn circuit - 4 wires for the airbag(2 spiral wound wires for stage 1 and 2 spiral wound wires for stage 2 - usually yellow) and 1 wire for the horn. If you want the airbag to be functional, you are only going to be able to connect 1 stage of the airbag since that is what the original E34 airbag was - a single stage airbag. Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts