BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my driver side panel painted and the airbag light came on. My shop cleared it but it came back on again. Reads passenger side restraint system. I'm thinking maybe when they took the door panel off to paint they messed with something? Only the drive side was painted yet I'm getting passenger side restraint code. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
362 Posts
You need to have the code read. There's an airbag in the door that may have a bad connection. Or it could be something unrelated. The code will tell you.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently no code shows up but the airbag light still stays on.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so we waited a day and still the same thing. No codes show up at all but the airbag light stays on and when you check under check controls in Idrive it says "fault in passenger-restraint system affecting airbag,belt tensioner or belt-force tensioner. Only the drivers side door panel was taken off and left rear taillight when the car was painted. I'm assuming a bunch of stuff was unplugged and maybe they just forgot to plug something back in? I'm having some carbon fiber parts installed tomorrow(door switches and speaker outlines) so they need to take the door panel off again. Is there something to look for that may be unplugged causing this? And would it be normal to still say passenger side even if only the driver side panel that was removed? Thanks

·
Registered
362 Posts
What diagnostic system are they using? I bet you'll need to take it to a dealer or someone with better software. If the light is on, there's a code somewhere. Problem about the E60 is that there are 10 or more satellite modules that can store an airbag code and turn the light on. The body shop might not even be reading the module with the fault.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^ That's what I was thinking. They are taking to a BMW indy shop today with the proper diagnostic to get the proper code. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Code was 93AC (side air bag) Indy shop cleared it and its stayed off now. Must have been something that happened when they painted the door.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ok so old post but I thought I would add to it for future folk's knowledge:

I had recently taken my door panel off to reseal the vapor barrier. In the process I obviously disconnected the door airbag. I was aware that this would throw a code if the car's battery wasn't first disconnected - no issue there.

about two weeks later, after having put it all back together I get this warning in the display: Warning malfunction in the passenger airbag or seat pretensioner system!

When I scanned the error with INPA (under safety modules) I get error 93AC, which shows up as driver's seat thorax airbag. This is a bit misleading, as the airbag in question isn't in the seat, but rather beside the door handle. Furthermore, if you are going by the information in the car's display, it says passenger restraint malfunction - which would lead you to believe that it isn't an error on the driver's side.

Nonetheless, I followed my instinct which was to return to the only airbag/safety related item that I had touched: sure enough, the airbag connector is a 2 stage type connector! When you reattach this connector, there is a plastic part of the clip that has to slide into the airbag before you press the main part of the harness side into the connector.

Fire up INPA, clear the error and it is gone.

So for any future M6 or 6 series owners wondering what error 93AC is related to: check the connector behind the door panel on the driver's side.

Fair warning, as with all things airbag related it is recommended that you disconnect your battery before working on these items!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts