BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking the air pump off of my B36 this weekend. I will be retaining all of the bracketry, just removing the pump.

What belt size/length will be required? Can this be pulled from any other BMW application?

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
We've done this on Sebring Sienna , so I'll try to remember to have a look and possibly take some pictures if you are all really nice to me and perhaps send me a 40th birthday card for this weekend !

D

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
Hallo Bondy ...... 40 is the new 20 !

The benefits are straightforward in terms of less drag on the crank and therefore less BHP drain running 2 bob air pumps !

The website is being converted and revamped at the mo , so it will be out of action for a couple of days before returning with a passion for all things BMW , having the opportunity to add blogs etc etc etc ........

D

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Only 40.....you have lived a hard life.....

Reactions: davidoli

·
Registered
763 Posts
Cant the bracketry and belts from an M30 be used?
I am currently collecting the various M30 parts to see if it works.... block off plates, A/C bracket and A/C lines from an M30.

·
Registered
38 Posts
4L330 too big, 4L325 seems to small.

Has anybody really made this work? the 330 allows lots of looseness, and the belt slips easily on the compressor pump clutch.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I used a 33" long, 1/2" wide belt to delete my air pump.

I bought the M30 A/c compressor bracket and tensioner as well, but the belt hasn't slipped, so I haven't bothered.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Apparently the Gates 33" belt I had on there (a 4L330 "equivalent") wasn't quite equivalent enough.

I put an actual NAPA 4L330 on there, and it's SLIGHTLY loose, but works like a charm.

Thanks for the input everybody! I'm really happy to have air conditioning again. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts