BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a stupid question but I recently purchased the RPi air scoops and am about to install them. My question is I am looking for a cold air intake to install as well, however, do they cancel eachother out? I mean from my understanding is that they each provide different functions, so does it matter? Will the air scoops be purposeless? If its recommended, can anyone tell me which intakes will provide the best noise?

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
3,394 Posts
Hot air intakes will substantially reduce the effectiveness of ram air scoops. Some, will reduce the effectiveness to the point of completely cancelling out the horsepower gain.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate that information but what I want to do is combine your product with a Cold air intake, is that feasible?

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
3,394 Posts
A cold air intake would require the air filter be outside of the engine bay (where cold air actually is, naturally, instead of the blazing hot air available inside the engine bay). In that case, the scoops would not do anything, since the air filter would be upstream of the scoops. The function of the scoops is to funnel cold air into the intake area.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now I understand, So they will only assist in the function of the stock filters or if I install a cold air intake, correct? Also, since i have your attention, I noticed on RPi's website they don't offer a cold air intake. Do you guys not make them or are they on back order?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Do a search...the only company is ASR Engineering (I believe is the company..search will yield your results) that make a "true" cold air intake. Hope you have deep pockets for it! I think it's like $2,250 or something. I will be making my own version of this same CAI when time time comes. Until then, RPi is hands down the best solution to assist in our forced induction style intake system.

Edit: Here is the thread I stated a bit ago on the same style topic: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...cold-air-intake-setup-vs-aribox-heatsoak.html

All your info is in there...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I really could care less about a "true" CAI, I seen ASR's system and understand how they think that may be more effective but since I have the scoops and aV10 engine, I really just need a CAI to make the growl to accompany my roar from the exhaust...Any suggestions anyone?? Im debating between AFE or K&N...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you more concerned with noise than anything else? If so, not sure what your options are.
Yea, I'm not really a racer, just want to enhance the noise.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Contact RPi, they are giving away free AFe intakes!

Reactions: evolve automotive

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So you're willing to lose power to gain noise. LOL.
Well should I anticipate a huge reduction in power? It's not like our cars are slow. I'm sure I won't be the only person on this forum with an intake. Cmon guys, quit trying to gang up on me :(

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any type of hot air intake is a complete waste of time.

Intake temperatures rise = ignition timing out = less power and response.
I thought it was the norm to add intakes, but listening to you guys I can tell that is not the case. Maybe I'll save a good chunk of money and stick with the air scoops and filters. I'll just get the sound I'm craving from my exhaust lol.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts