BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Air intake manifold removal

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Bissell63 
#1 ·
Does it take any special tools to remove the 2 large housings off?

#4 · (Edited)
I have a 1/4" drive and a 6mm socket so is there a correct procedure where to start etc?

Nevermind, I found a DIY in the M5 section...

#6 ·
I have a one of the rubber hoses between the throttle body and the air intake manifold that is bent. I want to fix it so that there is no unfiltered air going directly in the engine. So I bought a new replacement hose and a clamp that clamps it to the underside of the intake. The clamp does not have a screw to loosen and tighten it but rather a square raised section in it. Does it take a special tool to remove and replace these clamps?

#9 ·
flacoramos, the clamp the holds the rubber hose to the air plenum is an oetiker clamp. The other clamp that holds the rubber hose to the throttle body is a screw type clamp. See diagram on OEM.com in this link to confirm:
www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=NB93-USA-02-2006-E60-BMW-M5&diagId=11_3708#11617835320
Part 3 is the rubber hose. Part 4 is the Oetiker clamp. Part 5 is the screw type clamp.

I figured out the crimper tool so I can tighten the clamp down. I just purchased one on ebay:
www.ebay.com/itm/CV-Joint-Boot-Clamp-Ear-Type-Plier-Installer-For-Fuel-Coolant-Hose-Pipe-Tool/193271869173?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

#11 ·
I think so. I read up on those oetiker clamps. They are supposed to be impervious to loosening over time due to vibration like a screw style hose clamp can.

Anyway, I replaced the damaged rubber hose between the throttle body and plenum. All looks to be working well.

Henry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.