BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any body tried a different air filter on the bi-turbo and what were the results, i just changed mine and was surprised by the results its like some one just gave you an extra 30 bhp what a difference it makes all that is left to do now is a decat and see how she pulls without them.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Which one did you go for? I've often thought that the original wasn't that big. Do you have a cold air kit as well and how does it sound now?

Just curious and if you have a photo that would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its three years old dave a mate of mine gave it to me for my e28 m5 its a k&n flat filter just like the standard one but mesh, i just thought i would give it a try and hey bingo i can give you the number off the k&n box if you want it .

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hello Killer,

Would certainly be interested to find out more - if nothing else because the orginal is over £70 ! and although a Mahle filter can be had for £15 or so, the lugs are upside down - the only difference between the two as far as I can tell.

At least with a K&N it will last a lifetime and even if it's not as fine as the original I don't think it matters too much as the Intercooler is covered with oil mist inside and will trap any minute particles. Interestingly I took the Intercooler off a while back and flushed it out - you'll be amazed at the colour of the stuff that came out....

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i will dig it out for you tommorow havent got a clue how much it is but german and swedish would be the best people for one of those any way ill put on the filter number for you tommorow.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
As some of you may remember I had a problem with my filter on the Bi Turbo. It was occupied by bird home or some other creature....... and the resitance got so big that the filter jumped off just when I was racing a 996 Turbo. :crying2:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15319&highlight=ALPINA

Well I installed a stock BMW filter, that was also installed by the ALPINA dealer in Hannover at the last main serivice.
BUT when I talked to the boss of the workshop of ALPINA Buchloe, he told me that I would loose lots of HP on the stock vs the ALPINA version. He actually meantioned 5-20 Hp........ that they themselves had tested on the dyno......

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
as far as i am aware the alpina filter is no different than the bmw one for the 535i they are the same even hartlake electronics checked this out.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dave the number for the k&n filter is 33-2005 thats how it is written on the box.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
m5 killer said:
as far as i am aware the alpina filter is no different than the bmw one for the 535i they are the same even hartlake electronics checked this out.

According to ALPINA they are. hmmm

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hei there!

Erik said:
According to ALPINA they are. hmmm
Found this piece of information from this site:
http://web.telia.com/~u83106086/biturbopage/maint.htm

Airfilter - Original P/N:1370003, manufactured by Knecht. Knecht also makes a filter with P/N: LX36, wich fits a lot of different BMW´s, including the BiTurbo. It´s the exact same filter, as 1370003, but at a fraction of the cost. The BMW P/N for that filter is: 13721271254. MANN Filter, P/N: C3394 also fits.

Don't know how useful this information is since I don't own bi-turbo... yet ;)

Greeting,

Pippuri

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
there you go told you so

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi Alex

I know there is lots os different products, cant remember any, but i think KN have the longest experience produsing and developing them. But there must be others.

BlackB8 said:
Anyone tried a different air filter on a B8 ?

Cheers, Alex

·
Registered
51 Posts
The only difference I can see between normal M30 Mahle Filter & Bi Turbo part is that the arrows on the side that indicate up are inverted on Alpina part. Other than that, thay are the same part. BMW charge £10.00 + vat for standard, £55.00 + vat for the Alpina part. Quite a lot of cash for an Alpina badge and two inverted arrows !!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well done for noticing difference apart from that they are exactly the same, but some people here are refusing to believe it. cherrsagai

·
Registered
704 Posts
m5 killer said:
well done for noticing difference apart from that they are exactly the same, but some people here are refusing to believe it. cherrsagai
I've used the Mahle one and it's ok - doesn't sit in the lugs the same way but you wouldn't notice the difference. The thing you must not do is use one by Fram as it's too flexible and my motor sucked it in!

Dave.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
m5 killer said:
This has nothing to do with belive.

I am just refering to what I was told by the the ALPINA forman.
Either is is right about the difference, or he is lying.
I have no opinion on it what so ever.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Erik said:
This has nothing to do with belive.

I am just refering to what I was told by the the ALPINA forman.
Either is is right about the difference, or he is lying.
I have no opinion on it what so ever.
who was it that told you that erik

1 - 20 of 21 Posts