BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the brake intake cooling ducts -- Left Brake Cooling Duct - 51 11 7 890 013
-- Right Brake Cooling Duct - 51 11 7 890 014

I know i need the Brake Cooling Duct/Euro Grille Assembly which i believe dinan sells for like 100.00 or so. What else do I need or am I missing to bring the extra air to my brakes?

·
Registered
939 Posts
If you are not that concerned about looks, but effectiveness, there are a couple decent approaches to this.

One idea is from board member Greg Greg's Brake Duct Mod. Here is the main thread that had the link Click here

Another approach, which is similar is from board member Louv Louv's Brake Duct Mod.

I am actually doing this mod now since I have my front wheels off (hit a stupid pothole and bent a rim :grrrrr:).

You could use a sink drain or Halo light fixture to make the front look a bit better and the Halo rings aren't that much more money.

Have fun with it.

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Or you can buy the AA front grill. A little expensive. On Gregs brake duct mod you will find all the info you need. No money only a little sweat.
Much more expensive is the Hamann fog light covers mod.

·
Registered
261 Posts
+1 for the Halo mod. LOVE mine. Not even 10 mintues to install and a heck of a lot less than a 3rd party grill.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Great links - THANKS! Any idea why BMW used these ducts on the Sport models, but chose to block them up for the M5?:confused2

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I did the brake ducts on my car as well-- you don't really need any grill assembly or sink drains (or equivalents). Board member TCM's shop installed mine in about 20 minutes (lots easier on a lift). Then, we carefully drilled holes on each side (similar to what louv did). It's effective, and looks stock-- as well as barely noticeable.

One thing to note, your brake rotors will see more water in the rain so you'll want to be conscious of that as in the wet it takes an extra second for the brakes to dry out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am replacing the fender liner brackets on my e39 and there are two choices, one with the hole for the brake duct, the other without. My car currently has the ones without the hole. Which ones should I use?

Thanks, I owe all of you a beer when you pass through Paso Robles CA for all of your help.

Matt

·
10,456 Posts
I am replacing the fender liner brackets on my e39 and there are two choices, one with the hole for the brake duct, the other without. My car currently has the ones without the hole. Which ones should I use?

Thanks, I owe all of you a beer when you pass through Paso Robles CA for all of your help.

Matt
if you have or are going to open up the brake ducts, get the opened versions. If you are not, may as well keep the closed versions on as the car came with.

·
10,456 Posts
Thanks Mike, Is there any reason that they did not open them? Areodynamics?
i do think open ducts does effect aerodynamics and increase drag. As others have also mentioned, you get more water on the brakes, which can be a bit of a shock when you first touch the brake pedal on a rainy day. I suppose it was felt that the m5's brakes were large enough (relative to other models) that the added cooling was not needed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts