BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the A/C regassed when the car was last in being repaired. A couple of things that I have noticed now that the A/C is working and I am using it:

1) The A/C a week later after being regassed is not nearly as strong as it was on the day i picked it up - must have a seal leaking I would have thought. Any other suggestions greatly received.

2) Intermittently there is a squealing from the engine bay that only occurs when the A/C is on. I am assuming this is a belt on the A/C that is rubbing on something. Is this something anyone has has experienced and if so should I be concerned?

On a seperate note:

I am also starting to detect a slight hesitancy when the engine is operating between 2000 - 2500 rpm, a very light stuttering is noticable when in that rev range. It does not occur is you are accelerating through however. Any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
1) If the AC is leaking, you'll soon find out because it won't work at all after a few more days/weeks. An AC specialist will be able to leak-test the system. The E34 AC system isn't nearly as good as anything in a new car you might buy today, and naturally it won't be able to cool air quite so efficiently when it's 30C outside as it would have in early spring!!

2) Probably the tension of the AC belt. The tensioner is easy to reach, beside the front end of the plenum chamber. Loosen the bolt, tighten the tensioner and then lock the bolt again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,724 Posts
Jon Baker said:
Had the A/C regassed when the car was last in being repaired. A couple of things that I have noticed now that the A/C is working and I am using it:

1) The A/C a week later after being regassed is not nearly as strong as it was on the day i picked it up - must have a seal leaking I would have thought. Any other suggestions greatly received.

2) Intermittently there is a squealing from the engine bay that only occurs when the A/C is on. I am assuming this is a belt on the A/C that is rubbing on something. Is this something anyone has has experienced and if so should I be concerned?

On a seperate note:

I am also starting to detect a slight hesitancy when the engine is operating between 2000 - 2500 rpm, a very light stuttering is noticable when in that rev range. It does not occur is you are accelerating through however. Any ideas?
I had my ac re-gased a week ago. Now it spits out ice cold air. So much so, that i either have to turn it down or off after about 5 - 10 mins!!!

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,872 Posts
Steve is this including the recent weather as I would have to agree about the A/C providing cold air very quickly.

Mine provides cold air quickly although when the car has been sitting out in the sun it still takes a while to cool the car completly but once cool it is great and like you I need to turn it down a few notches.

May need to regass as I am not sure when it is getting as cold as it should, also I am not sure when it was last regassed.

Simon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hertfordshire1 said:
I had my ac re-gased a week ago. Now it spits out ice cold air. So much so, that i either have to turn it down or off after about 5 - 10 mins!!!

Steve
Where did you get yours done?

Is there a specialist around our area that you can recommend. I have used Scothall at Borehamwood up until now but after my car was broken in whilst in there posession I doubt I will again...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,724 Posts
Simonal said:
Steve is this including the recent weather as I would have to agree about the A/C providing cold air very quickly.

Mine provides cold air quickly although when the car has been sitting out in the sun it still takes a while to cool the car completly but once cool it is great and like you I need to turn it down a few notches.

May need to regass as I am not sure when it is getting as cold as it should, also I am not sure when it was last regassed.

Simon
Hi Simon,

This is including lunch time today!!!
Turn it on and within 30 secs cold air is coming through the vents..

I have the climate control, not sure if that makes any difference?

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,724 Posts
Jon Baker said:
Where did you get yours done?

Is there a specialist around our area that you can recommend. I have used Scothall at Borehamwood up until now but after my car was broken in whilst in there posession I doubt I will again...
Jon,

My car now goes to PMW in Chelmsford. Farrell put me in touch with them and they are really good.

I have been stung in the past (tweet tweet!) by these so called "specialists", whose only concern is making money from you......

They re-gases the system and sorted many other jobs that I had paid for elsewhere, but were not fixed...

I live in Herts and they are by no means local, but i'm prepared to make the extra effort as I know that I will get the car back sorted and I will not be charged for work that has not been done!!!

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,872 Posts
hertfordshire1 said:
Hi Simon,

This is including lunch time today!!!
Turn it on and within 30 secs cold air is coming through the vents..

I have the climate control, not sure if that makes any difference?

Steve
Hi

Yes I do get cold air pretty quickly so I think all is OK probably still have the car checked as a precaution.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hertfordshire1 said:
Jon,

My car now goes to PMW in Chelmsford. Farrell put me in touch with them and they are really good.

I have been stung in the past (tweet tweet!) by these so called "specialists", whose only concern is making money from you......

They re-gases the system and sorted many other jobs that I had paid for elsewhere, but were not fixed...

I live in Herts and they are by no means local, but i'm prepared to make the extra effort as I know that I will get the car back sorted and I will not be charged for work that has not been done!!!

Steve
I will be sure to look them up next time i have some spare money ....isn't that always the case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,724 Posts
Jon Baker said:
Thanks Steve,

Do you have there postcode so I can look up exactly where they are?

Jon
Jon,

PMW Ltd
9 Rivermead Industrial Estate South
Bishop Hall Lane
Chelmsford
CM1 1PD

Steve
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top