BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I removed the upper air collector cover today to see how much (if any) oil was under there. There was no 'sitting' oil just an oily film on the standard velocity stacks. However when screwing it back on I snapped a 'collar screw'.

At first I thought that I had cross threaded the cap nut but it screws freely in the thread so thats not it. Then I thought "Oh Sh1t, the thread is probably on the lower air collector which is probably going to be uber $$ but according to ETK I have snapped a 'collar screw', which is probably the best scenario?

My brother in-law is a fitter and turner and general mechanical type so I hope he will be able to get the thread out from the lower air collector. Is there a way to retrieve a snapped thread from a hole as I dont fancy replacing the entire lower collector for a single thread.

Attached is a circled photo of the one that I have snapped, but there are 2 different types listed for a 6/99 and I am only just getting used to the way ETK works, is there a way to tell which one I need to order? I mean I can ring the dealer and ask, but i wonder if anyone has any suggestions?

Cheers,
Aaron

Attachments

·
Registered
977 Posts
aaronmiles said:
Hi All,

I removed the upper air collector cover today to see how much (if any) oil was under there. There was no 'sitting' oil just an oily film on the standard velocity stacks. However when screwing it back on I snapped a 'collar screw'.

At first I thought that I had cross threaded the cap nut but it screws freely in the thread so thats not it. Then I thought "Oh Sh1t, the thread is probably on the lower air collector which is probably going to be uber $$ but according to ETK I have snapped a 'collar screw', which is probably the best scenario?

My brother in-law is a fitter and turner and general mechanical type so I hope he will be able to get the thread out from the lower air collector. Is there a way to retrieve a snapped thread from a hole as I dont fancy replacing the entire lower collector for a single thread.

Attached is a circled photo of the one that I have snapped, but there are 2 different types listed for a 6/99 and I am only just getting used to the way ETK works, is there a way to tell which one I need to order? I mean I can ring the dealer and ask, but i wonder if anyone has any suggestions?

Cheers,
Aaron
Part 03 and 04 are different because they are 2 different lengths. Look at all your screws as they came out and see if it's the shorter or longer one that matches in the hole on the opposite side of the intake holes, that will tell you which length you need.

As for getting it out, the typically way is to drill it out.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that .. I see what you mean .. I'll open it up again tomorrow and figure it out.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked the lengths. 11 61 1 406 664 is what I need. AUD$22.50 and its ex-germany.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts