BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am loving my car more every day. This is day 4. I remember seeing some talk about removing the labels on the visors for the air bag. Can anyone help me get these off. Also what are the visors made of. Are they vinal or leather in sport interior? I was using fingernail polish remover last night and got most of one label off but there appears to be some residual glue. What else works? My baby looks much nicer without the labels. Kind of like Tommy Hillfiger clothes.

Thanks,

Jon

·
Registered
174 Posts
On my 99 Carrera 2, absolute alcohol worked great. Be careful and test it (or any other cleaner/solvent) on a hidden surface however. My luck with nail polish remover has been dismal. The acetone tends to dissolve synthetics.

------------------
99 Carrera 2 (Outgoing)
01 Imola/Caramel/Burl (Incoming)
96 BMW R1100RT
00 Yukon XL

·
Registered
2 Posts
Originally posted by rad22:
On my 99 Carrera 2, absolute alcohol worked great. Be careful and test it (or any other cleaner/solvent) on a hidden surface however. My luck with nail polish remover has been dismal. The acetone tends to dissolve synthetics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry about the missing quote...new user. I'll improve.

I have a 2001 M5, black interior, silverstone. I used tried both heat and acetone to remove the labels. Heat worked, but melted (compressed) the underlying plastic foam. Acetone worked great and did not affect the black color at all.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Fingernail polish remover or acetone, cotton swabs, patience.

Soak swab in acetone, rub on a 1/2" strip of the back of the decal until it bubbles, peel decal gently, repeat as needed until all removed.

If there's glue left, you can use a swab and a little acetone and gently and patiently wipe it off. The acetone will dry quickly without trace, but don't use so much that it soaks into the fabric.

Done this on two cars now (the M5 and the spousal 540i) without difficulty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts