BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Haven't seen many people here with the Amber Colored Angel Eyes, so here goes so pics. For those who do not know, basically two companies make these, Umnitza and AngeliBright. I have had no experience with Umnitza. But the reason why I chose AiB is because (a) It is all housed in ONE unit (b) no wires or splicing (c) independent tests on E60.net have shown the AiBs to be a bit brighter. Price was not a factor in my decision.

Colors: They come in White, Red, Blue and Amber. I helped a friend install the White ones on his car. While I like the White color, it did not contrast enough with the HIDs. To the point where at night, when the lights are on, the Halo Eyes seem to wash out with the Headlights. Also, going into this, I knew that at best, the AiBs were as bright as OEM, but not much brighter (if at all), contrary to trick photography. The fact that the White ones are white may give the illusion that they are brighter, but the fact is that it is just a change in color. I chose Amber because I wanted a bigger contrast with the White HIDs on the car.

Do I like the look of the Ambers? More on that later... Let me tell you that installing the AiBs were a breeze, if you got the right tools. No headlight removal, no removing the radiator shield... nothing. It takes a little less than 15 minutes per side, if you follow my tips. I never had to reach down in the light to turn anything, so my child-like strength was not a factor here.

Tips: Get long needle nose pliers. 11" + with an angle is best. I bought a set @ Pep Boys that came with 3 types. Pic below. Also, lube the AiB rubber seals with a little grease. That helps turn the AiBs in place with no struggle. With tools and grease on hand, pop the hood, unscrew the headlamp cap behind the headlight, reach in a little by hand to remove the DRL light (easy), use the long-nose pliers to [carefully] turn and remove the OEM angel lighting, unplug, plug in the new AiB unit, test it, reinstall everything and you are done.

I asked my gf which one she liked better when I had the passenger side AiB amber and the Driver's side OEM. She picked the OEM, as did I. The "whiter" light seemed brighter and contrasts the amber eyebrows better. The OEMs are in a shade between the eyebrows and the HIDs. The Amber AiBs are the exact color of the Eyebrows and blend well, however, seem dimmer due to its darker hue. Kinda matches the Halloween look of the ambiance lighting on many of today's Bimmers. Also gives the car an eerie October glow, kinda like a Jack-O-Lantern. I may or may not swap them to the white ones. I'll give it a week or so and see how I like them.

Below are some comparison pics. Notice how in some pics with lights look really bright. That is trick photography even with a Cybershot Phone Cam (3.2MP, probably one of the best phone cams available yesterday [SE K790])

NOTE: In all of the pics below, they are either BOTH AiBs in Amber OR Passenger Side AiB and Driver's Side OEM. No pics below with both OEM, cuz we all know how they look like already!

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Definitely different. But I like it....nice job.

Ryan

·
Registered
369 Posts
first time ive ever seen the orange and must say it looks great. I always think the halos and the orange running bar looks a little like the devils own evil eyes :hihi:
I wish we could run without front plates in the uk the car looks so much cleaner without them.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Looks nice Mark. Good luck with the cops:icon_police:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thank you for your thread! I have a pair of blue angel eyes waiting to be installed...thanks for the install tips!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts