BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Hope someone can help. I have replaced a control unit on the Headlight for the Stepper motor / AHL.. Now i need to code / program the VIN into the unit so it will work..

I have DIS, INPA and NCS, but cannot work out how to do it...

Can someone give me any pointers on where / how i need to do it..

Thanks

·
8,369 Posts
My understanding is - only the $tealership has that capabiilty.

Hopefully someone here actually knows how and can help you and educate the rest of us.

·
Registered
704 Posts
That was the whole issue I had when they replaced mine recently and jacked up the aftermarket software. They told me that it had to be reloaded and was part of the whole software load; not possible to do just the lights. I agree, maybe one of the big brains here has a better answer than the stealer....good luck.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Hi All,

Hope someone can help. I have replaced a control unit on the Headlight for the Stepper motor / AHL.. Now i need to code / program the VIN into the unit so it will work..

I have DIS, INPA and NCS, but cannot work out how to do it...

Can someone give me any pointers on where / how i need to do it..

Thanks
ta5mhu, so you merely replaced a control unit? Are you referring to the Light Module control unit located under the driver footwell area, known as the LMA? Or are you referring to an item in the light housing itself? Assuming you mean the very expensive light module itself, the only lines of code relating to the AHL, are below. There si no VIN number in any module I've come across that require a matching of the vehicle ID to a module. There is however a need to code modules for your options when you replace them

So in order to help you, exactly what did you replace and why. If an LCI upgrade mention that as well.

Perhaps you can read your LMA, compare the lines of code in mine pertaining to AHL. That might help, particularly the last line of code below

AHL_MODE_CKM_0
wert_01
AHL_MODE_CKM_1
wert_01
AHL_MODE_CKM_2
wert_01
AHL_MODE_CKM_3
wert_01

UNP_AHL_MODE_CKM
wert_01

AHL2_ENABLE
nicht_aktiv

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi there,

I had to completly replace the headlamp, including the stepper motor control unit (the one screwed to the side of the lamp). It was not a new part, so the control unit, i assume is coded to another vehicle.

I am getting the message (Cornering lights failure) when I switch into AHL mode on the light switch. Looking in DIS, it is saying it is the stepper motor on the side i replaced. Im sure if i can code the new unit, then it will be fine. Just need to know how to do it!! I was reading the AHL PDF that was on the web, which said something about the VIN being registered in the unit see below.

Replacing the stepper motor controllers
The following calibrations must be performed after a stepper motor controller has been replaced:
- Vehicle identification number encoded in the stepper motor controller (with the BMW diagnosis system).
- Encode the stepper motor controller to match the headlight.
Important: The stepper motor controllers must be encoded.

If the stepper motor controller is not calibrated to the vehicle data, the adaptive headlights will not work.

it also says

Important: Encode the SMC after replacing a headlight!
After a bi-xenon headlight has been replaced, the stepper motor controller (SMC) must be recoded according to the
headlight data.
This is because the range of movement of the headlight and the installation location of the position sensor may vary from
vehicle to vehicle. The new bi-xenon headlight may have a different hardware number to that of the old one.
The headlight type pin must correspond with the SMC encoding. This calibration is performed during encoding.

The adaptive headlights will not work if the stepper motor controller is not recoded.

So basically, i think i need to do what it says above.. Just dont know how to ! Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I found this that might help lead you to the answer. As I suspected the LMA module is the module you have to code. I don't believe it needs a VIN #, but rather a VO update (Vehicle Order). Its the string of code you see when you first read your car with NCS. I don't have a screen shot handy, but its the very top of the NCS screen just after you connect, select F1>F3. It shows the options the vehicle has. It seems the option for AHL is option 522 or $522. You may want to see if that is still there, or if it was disappeared since your replacement.

I can't seem to find anyone that has needed to code this on any forum. I do think the clue lies in the LMA module. Perhaps under code ALC rather than AHL.

I'll keep searching for you. Sorry I don't have an immediate answer

<nobr>Note: Components for the AHL for the E63</nobr>
<nobr>- Similarities with the E46: The E63 has a zero-position sensor (as does the E46).</nobr>
<nobr>- Similarities with the E60: The E63 has the same vehicle electrical system as the E60. The E63 uses the LM (light</nobr>
<nobr>module) control unit for controlling the exterior lights (as does the E60)</nobr>

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks for the reply and information. I will try and read off the order later on... Will keep you posted on progress..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, so heres where im up to now...

Managed to download the LMA information.. Have attached the file here (named it as a text file).. However I cant find the same code as you had in yours anywhere. What I did try is to change the ALC_FAILSAVE from Aktiv to nicht_aktiv . Loaded this back into the LMA and the unit did its vertical "test".. However when I drove off, it came up with the same error again.

Is there anything else in this information i need to do / change to get it to recognise the new unit??

Also, when i go into Select ECU in NCS, I actually have ecu's called 2LSMC and 2RSMC... Are these the controllers for the stepper motors?? I tried to communicate to them but I got an error.... Im just downloading V40 updates to see if this helps.

Once again, any help appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
What MY year is your car? It's not in your profile. So I can compare it to a same MY LMA file I may have. I do not believe the 2LSMC and 2RSMC modules are lighting related. These are mine for comparison purposes.

Be careful with the v40 updates. Many sites do not have complete DATEN and ECU files. ver 39, from my reading, is safer. If you need any files, let me know. But I don't think they are the key.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi there,

My car was built october 2005....

Also wondering if i need to do anything in DIS once i have recoded it????

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Hi there,

My car was built october 2005....

Also wondering if i need to do anything in DIS once i have recoded it????
So I'm not understanding why your LMA isn't close to mine, an 07, which has lines of codes AHLxxx, and yours does not I'm going to PM you some info that might help including my email address.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
another thought.. what would happen if i took the option out of the vehicle order... recoded the CAS, then added it again..would that "reset" it back to original so it would have to learn all the modules again.. or could it make it worse???

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I don't think theres any harm in trying, but I don't believe that sequence should change anything. You did give me a thought however. Try writing a blank .MAN file to the CAS and/or LMA module. That will reset it to factory settings. That may work. Then you can re modify it with any changes you may have made before the stepper motor replacement. Another thought. It is possible the error is corrected and you merely need to clear the fault light. If you dont have a Bavarian Technic cable or a PEAKE tool, you can in fact clear it with INPA, if you haven't tried that yet. Thinking about it, it may just need a fault clear, rather than a recoding. Check you PM too

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will try the blank .man file next i think.. Many thanks once again for your help.. havent recieved PM yet but i might take some time i suppose to get through. Will keep you informed.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Keep us posted. I just realized you have <31 posts and may not be able to get PM's. You already did what I suggested by asking other experts elsewhere. That was my suggestion. If you receive the PM's, email me

Good luck

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok, tried writing a blank .man file.. still doesnt work.. can communicate to LH smc controller but not right.. Definitely a matching / coding issue.. Have been advised I might need to use WinKFP to put vin etc into module...just getting v39 files, will set up and try again!

Think you are right about the PM business.. still havent got them..oh well..

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I saw the response from Mike on the
Question. I'm still asking around. So how did you connect to the right side if I may ask?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hi again,
Did it through INPA, was able to get the lamp to move around etc... got nothing on the right side..
v39 is taking years to download... a lot bigger than i thought... ill have to wait!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
While your waiting for that huge download, I had the opportunity to ask a reliable source locally what exactly has to be done when a light module contained in the light assay itself requires, once changed. I was asked a couple of questions that I never thought to ask

Why did you change the module to begin with? What failed that prompted you to change the module? The stepper motor I believe? Was that the single failure? And finally can you reconfirm exactly what part(s) you replaced

I thought you had written earlier that you picked up a used light assy and he mentioned that the part from it could obviously be faulty or in spite of the part number being the same on the physical module, it in fact may not have the appropriate firmware for your month and year of build

This all made some sense to me so I thought I'd pass the questions along.

I know you must be frustrated by now. One way or another we will get this working. The other question was, can you clear the fault light, even if it returns. I'm watching the replies you are getting from others as well.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts