BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh my days!!

Just when I thought it couldn't get much worse, i was driving on friday (admitadly pretty hard after an hour or so) and stopped at a petrol station to get some phone credit, and when I got back in the car and started the engine - as the blower fan kicked in SMOKE came out of the vents, quiet a bit. So much so I couldn't sit in the car with the windows up!!

I jumped out, and popped the bonnet, and low and behold more smoke, even more, and all coming NOT from the engine - looks like it was coming from the gearbox area....

Now I've had a persistant problem of grinding into 3rd, which has not been fixed or improved by a new clutch, new slave cylinder or gearbox oil change. And I have also said that my centre console and gearstick area gets VERY hot at times, and this time it was about as hot as I've felt it. I popped the gearstick surround out, and the thick rubber gromet that seals the entrance of the stick thru the car (if you get my novice speak) is totally rotton and the carpet around the gear stick is actually BURNT BLACK and melted!!! (obviously freshly so....)

I guess i definitely need a new box then...... anyone know what is going on here? I'm putting the car thru a Insp II service in a few days, and may leave it in the garage until i can find a new box.

I'm not a happy man!!!

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
illjah said:
Oh my days!!

Just when I thought it couldn't get much worse, i was driving on friday (admitadly pretty hard after an hour or so) and stopped at a petrol station to get some phone credit, and when I got back in the car and started the engine - as the blower fan kicked in SMOKE came out of the vents, quiet a bit. So much so I couldn't sit in the car with the windows up!!

I jumped out, and popped the bonnet, and low and behold more smoke, even more, and all coming NOT from the engine - looks like it was coming from the gearbox area....

Now I've had a persistant problem of grinding into 3rd, which has not been fixed or improved by a new clutch, new slave cylinder or gearbox oil change. And I have also said that my centre console and gearstick area gets VERY hot at times, and this time it was about as hot as I've felt it. I popped the gearstick surround out, and the thick rubber gromet that seals the entrance of the stick thru the car (if you get my novice speak) is totally rotton and the carpet around the gear stick is actually BURNT BLACK and melted!!! (obviously freshly so....)

I guess i definitely need a new box then...... anyone know what is going on here? I'm putting the car thru a Insp II service in a few days, and may leave it in the garage until i can find a new box.

I'm not a happy man!!!
Unfortunately this failure mode is not uncommon. I would forget a rebuild & go straight for another box.
There are several threads on this Getrag box. It is essentially a very strong unit as long as its been serviced.
Imho many M5 's did not get their oil changed every other insp2 (owners probably unaware) & the resultant metals from meshing of gears etc plus thickened oil with high percentages of absorbed water moisture act as a grinding paste that will eventually compromise the surface treated areas that mesh & see most heat.

Even my transmission which sees an oil change every 12,000 always has some soame metal pices on the mag trap on the back of the trans sump plug.

I would go with your view & not drive the thing until you have resolved the trans issue.

Good luck & commiserations.

Farrell

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
illjah said:
Oh my days!!

I'm not a happy man!!!
Hi!!
Sorry to hear that your problems won`t go away...
The solution to your problems seems to be a second hand gearbox....

Still, I doubt that the smoke comes from the gearbox itself, more likely there is a oil leak somewhere, either on the gearbox or backend of the engine and the oil ends up on the exhaust and burns. The heat on the centre console is guite usual, mine gets reasonably hot and the car smells like burnt oil/undercoating after a hard drive (mine does not leak oil anywhere now)

Hope it sorts out
Sakke

·
Registered
1,934 Posts

I'm not a happy man!!![/QUOTE]

---------------

hows it going Iljah? Is the car fixed yet? Have you found a new gearbox? Also any idea what the problem was?

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope! Unfortunately not sorted yet - I have seemed to pick up the last couple of owners bills - just got 4 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's (yet to get fitted, enjoying the illegal slicks at the mo!!!), just done an insp 2 service and the car is in on wednesday to get every little niggling problem (or potential problem) done - including new front discs & pads, new water pump (i think i've heard it get a bit noisy, and it has a little play in it) new drive belts all round, re-routing front - rear brake pipes (due to a dodgy bodge job which is still holding out fine, but I'd like to get tidyied up) and new radiator hoses & water pump hoses.

But looks like this work alone is going to come in at £900+, then after that I'll be looking at the transmission again, as it still drives fine, it only grinds into third when giving it some welly (which I'm trying to avoid).

I've been keeping an eye out for a reconditioned box, but no luck yet - Paul from Infincar is breaking his 3.8 tourer, and I enquired about the box from that (6 speed) but at the mo he has it on eBay with the engine & all for £4000, and it was only the box I was after - my engine is ok (apart from the odd oil leak) and if I am to believe the history (supported by lots of receipts) it only has 140,000 Kms (89,000 miles) - as long as the odometer wasn't originally in miles (as it should have been) and its been switched to kms to cover lack of servicing etc, so that it has FSH - but judging by the interior of the car, and the feel of lots of interior bits (such as the feel of the OBC buttons, door handles, a/c controls) support the lower mileage - I have a 535i sport auto, that has done 150,000 miles, so I can diectly compare them, and the interior of the M5 is in very good nick (although it has half leather, and the cloth is looking a bit grubby & worn on the drivers seat - only to be expected I suppose).

But looks like I might have to get the box reconditioned - I have been informed of a good place to use, and can afford to be without the car (as long as the 535i is running again!) for the week turnaround they quote.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh and the smoke does seem to be caused by an oil leak in the gearbox, which is dripping onto the catalyst - again this only seems to happen if the car has been running for an hour, and I'm giving it some abuse, so day to day driving it still seems fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts