BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 E60 M5 Dinan S2+
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just kidding!!

Moderators - Love the new look. Better organized when reading through long posts.

·
Premium Member
2008 E60 M5 Dinan S2+
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
405 Posts
I wonder how many boards are hosted on the same platform. I frequent the Toyota FJ Cruiser forums too - it changed the same time as this board. Same changes too.

·
2,513 Posts
I wonder how many boards are hosted on the same platform. I frequent the Toyota FJ Cruiser forums too - it changed the same time as this board. Same changes too.

Numerous. XenForo is a popular forum software suite, its quite good in my opinion, the spam software seems to be getting better. Of course, fond memories of the early days of vBulletin here, bmwm5.se was a long time ago now. Oh well, this is great software IMHO.

·
Premium Member
2008 E60 M5 Dinan S2+
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
2008 E60 M5 Dinan S2+
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WTF??

This complaint coming from a Microsoft guy???!!!
😐
I know right?!!! You should see how much I complain about Microsoft products. :p

·
Registered
488 Posts
What's the deal with Excel seriously.

Also I hear that you all are working on changing the software licensing to match this hardware:

·
2,513 Posts
A MS gripe I have, a Kali image is offered via W10 store, but Windows Defender pops off on the Kali iso, mostly because of the metasploit components. I would never use Kali on anything but a VM, but seems so strange the Windows Defender team has not handled this. Its not hard to do the exclusion manually, but it would be nice if Windows Defender baked this in. Maybe they have not because a vanilla user wouldnt understand, perhaps?

·
Premium Member
2008 E60 M5 Dinan S2+
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What's the deal with Excel seriously.

Also I hear that you all are working on changing the software licensing to match this hardware:
hahahaha

Unfortunately, I'm very far removed from the Office product group. My knowledge is deeply rooted in our enterprise software and services, which is a whole different sink hole. This should be no surprise, but licensing models are completely different across our entire product lines.... consumer, education, enterprise, SMB, partner, volume, etc etc etc. We have, hands down, the most complex licensing system. But in all fairness for MS - so many products/services - so many different sizes of companies, so many different options. We have an entire org dedicated to licensing.

·
Premium Member
2008 E60 M5 Dinan S2+
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A MS gripe I have, a Kali image is offered via W10 store, but Windows Defender pops off on the Kali iso, mostly because of the metasploit components. I would never use Kali on anything but a VM, but seems so strange the Windows Defender team has not handled this. Its not hard to do the exclusion manually, but it would be nice if Windows Defender baked this in. Maybe they have not because a vanilla user wouldnt understand, perhaps?
The whole virus/firewall protection suite has seen aggressive changes over the past 20 years. Never really a space that MS intended to serve as the 3rd party market had that covered. But with the tighter integrations of product lines and the changing business model to subscription - the Windows organization after multiple acquisitions and trials/errors - consolidated a lot of the historical protection software to Windows Defender. I remember first seeing Defender when corporate was dog fooding it...this was probably 10 years ago. It was terrible. But with the right investments and the right senior level hires from other security firms - Defender starting shaping up and Microsoft's investment in cybersecurity has seen leaps and bounds in improvements. Just by offering it as a built-in service to Windows 10 is the main benefit for our customers. Technically, the days of needing McAfee or Norton AntiVirus are slowly dwindling. Which is why you're seeing companies in antivirus business adding other value added services like identify protection to bolster the revenue stream. Not saying Windows Defender is the end all - but it's quite good now.

To your point, one of the areas that Microsoft is continuing to work on, is working more closely with ISV/3rd party developers to ensure their apps are correctly certified to work seamlessly with our products and services. This is not only an issue with Defender (which is technically just a team within the Windows client organization) - but across the board. I've worked in the ISV/Partner space for some time as well on the Dynamics side of the house - so I've seen first hand the improvements. We'll never get to quite the level of Apple and their apps - but like Android, Windows is not designed to work on 1 piece of hardware - so the multitude of validation and certification against so many variables is extremely challenging. Nevertheless, Microsoft has made huge strides in focusing on what our customer's pain points are...something that (historically), we really didn't care about - but, we actually do now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts