BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone's Rad fan blown up and destroyed their hood and countless items underneath it??If so, what did you do to replace the hood? I'm thinking carbon fibre repacement!!?? good idea?? bad idea??? heeellllppp:eek:h:

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Plenty have suffered this fate. The fan clutch fails by locking up, the plastic fan can't take the high revs and Ka-boom. Not too many have opted for anything other than a stock (aluminum) hood. Personally, I don't think the weight savings and cost of a carbon fiber hood would be worth it on a car that otherwise weighs 4000 lbs already, but some have done that.

As preventative maintenance, it is suggested you change out your fan clutch anywhere between 80k-100k miles. I know that's a broad range. It's not hard to do (esp. if you have the right tools), and a lot cheaper than fixing all the damage resulting from the explosion. If you hear a loud "whooshing" sound, like your fan suddenly is making a lot more noise than normal, do NOT try to "rev" out of it. Instead, keep the revs low (or park the car if you can) and get the fan clutch swapped pronto.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
You may wish to disclose your mileage as a warning to others.

Sometimes, a "jet engine" sound can foretell trouble. A "newspaper" test is also a good diagnostic. Search terms in quotes.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Fan clutch :( After reading so much about this, I am going to replace my fan with an electric one. I just dont want to ever worry about this.

Consider getting a hood with the E46 M3-style powerdome. Some M5s can really pull it off, not sure how your car looks, but a little bit lowered with some mods it can really look tasteful.

·
Registered
2002 M5, Imola / Imola
1,703 Posts
This is something I'm going to be replacing in the near future. Sorry to hear, OP!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The KM's on my car when the rad fan blew (causing $7000 damage FML) was 117 000!! Not to mention I had just purchased the car 1 month prior to this whole fiasco! :sad1: The cost for a stock hood install from my local bmw dealership is just under 2000 or i could buy a carbon fibre one for around 1300 .... what to do what to do??????

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
The KM's on my car when the rad fan blew (causing $7000 damage FML) was 117 000!! Not to mention I had just purchased the car 1 month prior to this whole fiasco! :sad1: The cost for a stock hood install from my local bmw dealership is just under 2000 or i could buy a carbon fibre one for around 1300 .... what to do what to do??????
Find a used one off a junked e39! They can't be worth more than a few hundred dollars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts