BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i was to get aftermarket wheels for the m6 i would be interested in wheels/tire sizes that would increease the handling of the vehicle.

With that being said what wheels and wheel size and width would you suggest?

P.S. Excluding magnesium wheels because I heard if you hit one pot hole with magnesium wheels and your sscrewed because those wheels arent that strong and are mostly meant for track

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Performance from after market wheels.....

If i was to get aftermarket wheels for the m6 i would be interested in wheels/tire sizes that would increease the handling of the vehicle.

With that being said what wheels and wheel size and width would you suggest?

P.S. Excluding magnesium wheels because I heard if you hit one pot hole with magnesium wheels and your sscrewed because those wheels arent that strong and are mostly meant for track
If you get lighter weight wheels than stock, your car's handling and acceleration will improve. The lighter, the better (but also strong and durable). Lighter wheels reduce unsprung weight at the car's corners; which improves handling and acceleration, because of less rolling inertia.

That said, reducing wheel weight on a 4k lbs big coupe/sedan provides only fractional performance improvement. It's a much bigger deal on lighter weight, smaller cars, percentage wise. That's why 95% of folks buying AM wheels for our cars ignore weight, and focus attention on aesthetics. They go for the "look"; especially true of larger diameter wheels, which are almost always much heavier. 'Suggest you stick with your 19" stock size.

Several good mfgr's make lightweight wheels (HRE, Fikse, BBS, Dinan) that are strong. They're also costly. There's even ultra lightweight CF wheels; but they're extremely expensive.

As for tires, do a search. A lot of experimenting going on amongst M5/M6 owners. So far, a very limited selection of "upgrades" (meaning DOT legal R-Comp's) over Mich or Conti are available; and even less available for larger diameter (20", 21") wheels. Most folks seem to prefer Mich PS-2's in stock sizes.

Good luck and have fun!!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
You'll find a lot of info on this subject. Try a search and
see if you find the answers you are looking for.

In performance are you looking to track the car or drag it?
You want light wheels for performance with as much rubber
as possible. Basically means a 1-piece forged wheel:

1) RAC [email protected] [email protected] (see the group buy on the M5 side)
2) Neez [email protected] [email protected]
3) Dinan [email protected] [email protected] + spacers

I'm not sure if anyone provides 18's.

There are probably a few more options out there but IMO these
are the top choices.

With a 10.5 rear you can get a 305/25 on the rears. On a 10
you should be able to get a 295 on the rears.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts