BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a wheel shop in an effort to get some aftermarket wheels (stock size). they said I need a wheel with a 74.1 bore for my 2001 e39 M5. is that true? as he said he can not get a wheel with a bore size that large. his wheels had a 72.6 bore (18" M5 Style Staggered Wheels 5x120 Rim Fits BMW 525i 530i 545i 528i 535i 550i | eBay ).

seems to me, if he's correct, you could not put an aftermarket wheel on an '01 M5, yet I see them everyday. so what I am missing?

·
Registered
6,014 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Yes he is correct about the hub bored size on E39.
There are many aftermarket wheels with larger bored than 74.1mm. Use a hub centric rings to fit them on. If they are smaller, you can have it enlarge by a machine shop.

Reactions: Mike_balt

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I echo the above statements. Most aftermarket wheels have a larger bore size than 74.1. Hub-centric rings are used for proper mounting and fitting. If the center bore is too small, any half decent wheel shop should have a connection with a machine shop to have it bored out to 74.1

If it is just a run of the mill wheel store, that doesnt do high end wheels and just sells chrome cheapo wheels in fixed offsets and sizes, find another shop that knows what they are doing.

Reactions: Mike_balt
1 - 4 of 4 Posts