BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reviewing some recommendations for aftermarket warranty companies found here; I called up http://www.1sourceautowarranty.com/ & discussed with their internet sales guy (David); what their most comprehensive plan ( Diamond plan ) has to offer our M5.

As an aside; I'd be interested in knowing if anyone's made a VANOS related claim with these guys.. Please reply here if so ( thanks), or if you'd suggest a "better" alternative to these guys!

OK; Plan seems decent & for an additional $195 - the optional "emission" system's covered as well. To my direct inquiry concerning the MAFs, cam & O2 sensors, his reply was;

"If you pay the $195 to add the emission package, the O2 sensor and the Mass Air Flow sensor will have coverage. The cam sensor is covered under the Diamond plan without the additional rider. To start the coverage, simply give me a call at the number listed below and I can take the order. Please be sure to have the vin number when you call"

More specifically:

SECTION FIVE – OPTIONAL COVERAGE (NOT INCLUDED, BUT AVAILABLE ON ALL PLANS)

EMISSION SYSTEM ONLY (Limited to vehicles with less than 50,000 miles on the odometer at time of VSA purchase): Mass air flow sensor, MAP sensor, 02 sensor, EGR/EFE valve, EGR/EFE thermal vacuum switch, air pump, canister purge solenoid, deceleration valve, knock sensor.

Plan options/ costs:

What's covered:

The 'Diamond/Diamond 100' is the most comprehensive plan available covering well over 4000 component parts (the only difference between the two is the term length). This coverage provides for the repair or replacement of factory-installed mechanical and electrical operating parts. Virtually every component on your vehicle is protected. The only exclusions are periodic maintenance and those items listed in our agreement under “What is not covered by this VSA.”

Full coverage for:

Engine
Automatic/Standard Transmission
Drive Axle Assembly (Front or Rear Wheel Drive)
Electrical System
Fuel Delivery System
Braking System (Including ABS)
Front/Rear Suspension
Steering System
Heating/Cooling Systems
Air Conditioning System
Power Window/Locks
Power Seats
Digital Instrument Cluster
Sunroof
GPS Navigational Systems
Audio System
Convertible Top Motor
Seals & Gaskets (Stand-Alone)
Wear & Tear
Emission System Coverage (Optional)
What is not covered by this VSA:

YOUR VSA DOES NOT PROVIDE COVERAGE FOR, OR APPLY TO, THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS:

A. Physical damage; alignment of bumper/body/trim parts; glass; lenses, fuses, fiber optics, burned out lights, lamps, bulbs, LED’s or any other illumination device; wiper blades; bright metal; jacks; fasteners or retainers (e.g. nuts, bolts, clips, screws, pins, studs, brackets, clamps, rivets, snap rings, etc.); safety restraint devices (Diamond plans include airbag electrical component coverage), fuel filler and radiator caps; seat tracks; electronic choke; paint; rust; upholstery; sun visors/sunshades or roller blind components/motors, Quadra Steer/ All Wheel steering components; plastic or plastic-like items such as, but not limited to: plastic valve covers or intake manifolds, cup holders, tanks; hinges, moldings, bezels or consoles; keys or key chips; heated steering wheel; electronic spoiler; any remote devices; carpet; rubber or rubber-like items; convertible top/window; vinyl top; weather-strips; squeaks and rattles or any other noise; interior/exterior ornamentation; video entertainment systems (limited coverage is available as an option); appliances; cameras; web access/phone systems; command center/modules; pneumatic suspension systems; voice-activated devices; body sheet metal, bumpers, body panels, structural framework, welds; water leaks; wind leaks/noise; sealants/caulking tubes, materials/shop supplies, hazardous waste/disposal charges and other maintenance parts and services. Also excluded are: wheels, wheel balancing, rims, valve stems, wheel covers; tires (other than expenses as outlined under Section Nine “TIRE ROAD HAZARD COVERAGE”). All aftermarket parts or accessories.
B. Service adjustments, reprogramming and cleaning, suspension alignments, refrigerant/recharge, coolant flush, lubricants, battery, battery cables, belts, hoses, spark plugs, spark plug wires, glow plugs, filters, distributor cap and rotor, strut inserts, any failed parts due to dry rot, tears or corrosion, shock absorbers, brake linings/shoes, brake pads, rotors, drums, brake hardware kits, clutch plate/lining, linkage/ hydraulic cylinders, pressure plate, flywheel, throw-out bearing, pilot bushing, exhaust and emission systems, repairs to retrofit or replace components due to compliance with any federal/state law or regulations.
C. If the Air Conditioning system is unable to be repaired due to the shortage, unavailability, or restriction of Chloro-Fluoro Carbons (CFCs) by Federal Mandate (e.g. Freon, R-12), then We do not have any further obligation for repair of the Air Conditioning system under this VSA. We have no obligation to install a retrofit kit on Your vehicle that would allow use of any alternative to CFCs.
D. Repairs or replacements that did not have Prior Authorization from the Administrator, except Emergency Repairs (see Section Ten under “EMERGENCY REPAIRS”).
E. Pre-existing conditions or if information provided by you or a repair facility cannot be verified as accurate or is found to be deceptively inaccurate.
F. Any failure caused by misuse; abuse; negligence; lack of maintenance required by the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule for Your vehicle (see Section Seven under “MAINTENANCE REQUIREMENTS”); improper servicing by You after Your Effective Date and Mileage of Your VSA; sludge build-up, gum/varnish, carbon, corrosion, rust, contamination or lack of proper and necessary amounts of fuel, coolant or fluids/lubricants.
G. Repairs to seized or damaged engines due to contamination or the continued operation of your vehicle without sufficient lubricants or coolant. Subsequent damage to covered components/parts due to Your Failure to protect Your Vehicle once a Failure occurs or when audible noises, warning lights/gauges/sensors indicate(s) a problem exists. You are responsible for making certain that the oil and temperature-warning lights/gauges/sensors are functioning properly. You must immediately cease operation of Your Vehicle to prevent any further damage when any audible noises, warning lights/gauges/sensors indicates inadequate protection or performance.
H. The cost of teardown or disassembly, reassembly, fluids, oils, additives, coolant and lubricants if it is determined that the Failure was not caused by a covered component/part Failure.
I. Any vehicle that has had modifications made to it, whether installed before or after the Effective Date and Mileage of your VSA. This will include, but not be limited to any custom or add on part; any frame or suspension modifications; lift kits (limited coverage may be available as an option); oversized/undersized tires or wheels; modifications to the engine, emissions or exhaust systems. Any failure attributable to pulling a trailer or other nobject if determined that the vehicle was not properly equipped with a factory installed or authorized tow package. Any Failure caused or attributable to You using or if You have used Your vehicle in a manner not recommended by the Manufacturer.
J. Damage caused by Pre-Ignition Detonation, Pinging, Improper/Contaminated Fuel or Improper Engine Adjustments. Any repair for the purpose of correcting engine compression or oil consumption when a Failure has not occurred. Burned/worn valves/guides, valve grinding, worn rings and burned pistons are not covered.
K. Any Vehicle used for any form of competitive driving or racing, has business/commercial registration or use (unless the “Business/Commercial Registration or Use” surcharge is purchased), police, emergency service (including crowd control and the like), job site activities, for-hire/public livery, snow removal (limited coverage may be available as an option) is also excluded. Also, coverage is not afforded to Motor homes and/or Recreational Vehicles, any truck or van rated over one (1) ton or any van conversion kit packages.
L. Any Vehicle that has been issued a branded title (e.g. salvage, theft, but limited coverage may be available as an option except for flood damage). Any new or pre-owned import Vehicle which has not been originally manufactured to U.S. specifications, and/or has been imported through means other than a factory authorized distributor/importer, commonly known as “grey-market automobiles” (coverage may be available as an option). Any Vehicle that runs on alternative fuel (such as propane, etc.) or electric power only. Any vehicle that has been considered a “lemon” under any state statute or has been subject to a Manufacturer’s buyback program (limited coverage may be available as an option).
M. If it is determined that Your Vehicle’s odometer has been inoperable for more than fifteen (15) days or 500 miles, Your VSA will be canceled /voided.
N. Loss caused by natural occurrence or disaster, larceny, explosion, fire, smoke, water, salt, freezing, vehicle collision/accident or upset, falling objects, breakage of glass, vandalism, environmental damage, riot or civil commotion, acts of war or bodily injury and property damage arising from or allegedly arising from a covered Failure.
O. Any Failure occurring outside of the United States or Canada or while Your Vehicle is being used without Your express permission and consent.
P. Repair/replacement of a covered component/part as the result of a Failure by a non-covered component/part.
Q. Repair/replacement of a non-covered component/part when damaged as the result of a Failure by a covered component/part.
R. Any covered part which has not Failed, but which a Repair Facility recommends to be replaced. This includes seepage of seals and gaskets.
S. Repairs due to a misdiagnosis, incomplete diagnosis, or any damage resulting from or attributable to any improper previous repair(s).
T. Any reimbursement for loss of time, inconvenience, loss of Vehicle use, loss of profits, storage charges, telephone calls, special freight charges incurred in obtaining parts, lodging and meals (other than expenses as outlined under Section Nine “TRIP INTERRUPTION PROTECTION,”) or any other consequential damage.
U. Any repair/replacement that is the direct result of a mechanical/structural defect for which the Manufacturer has issued or announced a recall, technical bulletin (TSB), or any other announcement for the purpose of correcting such defect, or for the repair to any component/part covered by a Federal Emission Warranty. Repair or replacement of any components/parts while covered by any Warranty (Manufacturer’s or Repairer’s) or Insurance policy. Any components referred to as covered by any of the Vehicle manufacturer’s warranties including, but not limited to, extended drive train, major component, or full coverage warranties.
V. Any components, parts, or costs involved with updating or retrofitting Your Vehicle, or due to product changes, lack of product availability or government regulations.
W. Driving on tires which are deflated or improperly inflated, tires transferred from another vehicle, damage to tires that do not affect their performance or safety, tires mounted on vehicles other than on-road use private passenger cars and light duty trucks and tires not retained by You for inspection by the Administrator.
X. Any Component Not covered by the Vehicle Manufacturer for the full term of the Vehicle Manufacturer’s Warranty.
================================

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update to 1Source

Ran a search relative to whether 1Source might cover VANOS related; Apparently they do :1:
Again; "Diamond" plan with "optional" emissions (for $195) appears to be the way to go.
===

Ard:

You are correct. CA has enacted legislation to prevent companies from selling policies if they are 'self insured'. At the end of last year I bought a policy from 1SourceAutoWarranty but they are now restricted from selling in CA. I discussed this with them lately during a claim. CA is a very large market for them and they are attempting to arrange to be underwritten by a larger insurance company for their business in CA so that they can again sell policies here.

1Source has now covered about $1000 in repairs (two CPS, one VANOS valve) which is almost 1/2 of the cost of the warranty. I still have 65K miles left on the warranty so I think I'm going to come out ahead. I had to make a case for the VANOS valve 'cause they wanted to claim it was part of the 'emmisions system' (sheesh!). The specific emmissions coverage is inclusionary as opposed the the rest of the much better worded exclusionary policy, hence they thought they had some wiggle room. But ultimately they succumed to the logic that the valve train could not be construed as part of the emmisions system.

Rich

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Plan looks pretty good, but do I understand that to exclude the entire vehicle if you have, say, headers or any suspension upgrade? That is the way it reads to me. It doesn't just exlcude the affected part(s), it excludes the vehicle.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
gsfent said:
Plan looks pretty good, but do I understand that to exclude the entire vehicle if you have, say, headers or any suspension upgrade? That is the way it reads to me. It doesn't just exlcude the affected part(s), it excludes the vehicle.
Regards,
Jerry
Good question Jerry; might want to email/ call David & let us know?
Here's his contact info:

Dave Kubik
Internet Sales Assistant
866-624-7490
[email protected]

·
Registered
205 Posts
fc_celtic_fan said:
Anyone out there have extended within California?
As far as I'm aware, only AAA currently writes extended warranty coverage in California. This is due to a new state law that requires companies offering extended warranties to be more than a few claims away from bankruptcy! ;)

You can obtain a quote on the AAA Member Services Center website. They offer a 60-day money back guarantee and refund any unused coverage (on a prorated basis) if you sell the vehicle before the extended warranty runs out. Like many other companies, they do not require an inspection of the vehicle; rather, their coverage kicks in after a 30 day or 1,000 mile waiting period. AAA covers service at any licensed repair facility and they pay the service center directly.

Good luck, Mike

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just for info, I was told by 1source that for my Dinan S2, they would not cover it due to the modifications. I was able to buy a warranty through my BMW dealer that covers all, including the Dinan stuff. Supplier is EasyCare, cost was $2550 for 4 years 75k miles, excludes only a very few items (window glass, wear items, body panels).

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
gsfent said:
Regards,
Jerry
Absolutely- the text that was posted excludes ANY coverage with ANY modifications.

And keep in mind that this is NOT a warranty, so the Moss Magnussen act does not apply. (A warranty CANNOT be voided just due to a modification- the modification must be the cause of the failrue to void the coverage). This is an insurance policy and if they prohibit mods then you might be SOL.

DO NOT assume that an email will 'clear it up'... you are asking a salesman to clarify a legal term...

·
Registered
205 Posts
LBPDNNM5 said:
I was able to buy a warranty through my BMW dealer that covers all, including the Dinan stuff. Supplier is EasyCare, cost was $2550 for 4 years 75k miles, excludes only a very few items (window glass, wear items, body panels).
EasyCare evidently is a program of Automobile Protection Corporation (APCO) and offers vehicle service contracts ("extended warranties") exclusively through dealerships.

Has anyone else purchased one of these contracts from EasyCare through a BMW dealership for a privately-purchased car? Any claim history with EasyCare?

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
ard said:
Absolutely- the text that was posted excludes ANY coverage with ANY modifications.

And keep in mind that this is NOT a warranty, so the Moss Magnussen act does not apply. (A warranty CANNOT be voided just due to a modification- the modification must be the cause of the failrue to void the coverage). This is an insurance policy and if they prohibit mods then you might be SOL.

DO NOT assume that an email will 'clear it up'... you are asking a salesman to clarify a legal term...
Thanks. I agree with your analysis of the contract. You mean a salesman might say something that is not correct just to make a sale? :1: :1: :1:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
gsfent said:
Thanks. I agree with your analysis of the contract. You mean a salesman might say something that is not correct just to make a sale? :1: :1: :1:
Regards,
Jerry
It is even more insidious: they actually might truly believe what they are saying- either through ignorance or, and here is the tricky part, because upper management has told them. But management knows that the written contract is the final abriter of what they will pay.

You see this all the time at new and used car dealerships- sales staff (floor people and managers) just flat out wrong- then when there is a problem the dealerships says; "Well, they should never have said that- the paperwork clearly states..."

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
ard said:
You see this all the time at new and used car dealerships- sales staff (floor people and managers) just flat out wrong- then when there is a problem the dealerships says; "Well, they should never have said that- the paperwork clearly states..."
Yes, if the salesmans says something that is important to you, just have him put it into the contract. The sales manager will prob catch before he signs off on it (in most dealerships, salesman cannot bind a sale for the dealership), but if not, you at least have a writing. If it conflicts with something else, the handwritten "salesman" warranty prob will control and at the very least, you have something to fight about!
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts